Book 2: Chapter 1 - Curse of the Lady's Light

Eberron is a world of pulp noir where swashbuckling and intrigue run rampant. The Last War is over, the war to end all wars, but many say the fighting has simply shifted from the battlefield to the shadows.

In the wake of a long and terrible war, a world struggles to find its destiny. Will it descend once more into brutal conflict and end in spectacular annihilation, or will the world emerge at last into a new era of peace and prosperity? One group of heroes hopes to make Eberron a better place. The Grey Company, formed by a collection of heroes recruits new members to their growing ranks -- you among them.

Run by the Dragonmarked Heir Vardaen
JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:04 pm

Je has spent the last week learning the ways of his new time. Never eating and barely sleeping, he has subsisted on books and knowledge.

Along with sharing tales of his homeland with Colonel d'Orien, Je has been working with his new companions. Building on their success in the wreckage of the Liza Jane, he has developed the ability to maintain a steady telepathic network while they work. The benefits have yet to show, but imagination provides several possibilities...

As Oloven wakes from his vision, Je ponders its meaning.

"The Lady's Light? I've heard of it, to the south. Certainly a good lead."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:09 pm

Katrina considers, "I'll call for Nirus he may know more, he's well traveled." She rings a bell, someone comes to the door, and she sends the man to fetch Nirus.

"Lady's Light? Interesting, an ancient ruin from eons past. So its connected to these Shards is it?" She taps her fingers together thinking. "Val will want to know about this, he may have more information. Still if you say its to the South, then that could mean Oloven has seen the Marsh of Desolation..." she cringes about that. "Like time we went there it didn't go well what with the Black Dragon, Lizard folk, and more that control part of that swamp."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:55 pm

As the meeting progresses, the door opens and Col. Val'trith d'Orien slips in.

"Good, good," he says, "the briefing has begun." He looks at Katrina. "Thanks again for handling things here. I had an important meeting with Volen Lassite about a series of jobs I think the Grey Company could handle. I think I managed to convince him we can manage this work. All we have to do is actually do and it'll go a long way toward some very good and very profitable contracts in the future."

He looks to the gathered group. "I wanted to let you know that we have every confidence in your abilities. Just stick together, watch each other's backs, and don't get overconfident. Remember that these are powerful artifacts that can twist your mind. And don't forget the ioun stone to neutralize its curse."

"Now, have you used the Shard of Greed to locate the next shard? If haven't, one of you needs to concentrate on the shard to receive a vision of the region surrounding the next shard in the sequence: the Shard of Lust. Once you have that vision, we ought to be able to pinpoint where it is and plan your next steps." When he hears that they have he nods.

"So, the Lady's Light is the location, That's an unusual monument in that while all of those who have sailed to Xen'drik from the east have seen it, very few have actually visited the site. The statue looms at the south eastern coast of Xen'drik, but approaching it is treacherous , what with the trackless reach of the Marsh of Desolation in the land route and the presence of treacherous and numerous reefs in the surrounding waters. Most people know what it looks like, but the monument itself is relatively mysterious - the presence of numerous tribes of boggards, troglodytes (the call themselves xulgath - did you know that?), and other monsters make it dangerous to visit."

"The Lady's Light is just over 50 miles away from Stormreach as the crow flies, but approaching it on foot or by sea is a different story. If you go by foot, it's a slog through the Marsh of Desolation. Not pleasant. I know a guide that might be able to help and I'll direct to him if you decide on that route."

"Taking a ship to the Lady's Cape is a much faster and more comfortable method. Unfortunately, ships are expensive and the Company doesn't have any. Unless you lot are holding out on me about a hidden fortune, you'll need to secure passage aboard a merchant ship or fishing vessel sailing south. And with the Kraken in the waters roaming about, its far less likely you'll find anyone willing. Most captains are reluctant to sail too close to the Lady's Light, anyway, because of a combination of superstition about the towering statue and the more physical threat of the numerous reefs that surround the area as well. But know someone from Three Barrels that owes me a favor. If you want to go by ship, I can get you passage on the Wanton Ways."

"So what do you say? Land or sea? Both are dangerous in their own way."

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:31 pm

In the week of down time, Fletcher takes his blade and has it upgraded. Upon picking it up from the smith, he is very excited for how it turned out. "A bit sharper and balanced better than before!" Having no need for sleep, he gathered several books from the library on human culture and philosophy in an effort to better fit in with others. At last it was time to reconvene at the Grey Tower.

Fletcher stands with the others donning a few new items as they prepare to venture out once more. He ponders whether the long grey cloak imbued with magic will actually help or simply get in the way of his actions. His new magical ring, which had to be welded on for fear of falling off is taking him some time to get used to. It doesn't take a keen eye to spot the Warforged opening and closing his left hand for no apparent reason.

"I'm not sure what anyone else thinks, but the chance of sailing upon a Kraken could lead us to certain death. I'm willing to attempt the Marsh of Desolation."
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:22 am

"The fate of Captain Brast remains in my mind. I'm inclined to brave the Marsh if you all feel the same."

AdamDaBomb11
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Title: Oh look. A title.
User Class: Wanderer

Post by AdamDaBomb11 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:59 am

Oloven takes a moment think it over, giving the others a chance to answer first. Finally he nods. "I agree. A ship is nice, but if I find myself suddenly in water this armor might end up being my casket. From my point of view, on foot might be our best course of action." He pauses for a moment. "Do you have anymore knowledge on what other types of creatures we might find in this marsh? And maybe what types of obstacles we might end up facing? I feel preperation is going to be a key factor for this one."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:36 pm

Katrina nods about the choice, "In fact we were only just there but only in the very northern section. We faced unending marshlands, mosquitoes the size of bats, lizardfolk, a black dragon, but we took care of that -- Benmarrow is rather good at slaying them. Disease, poisonous snakes, boot rot, all those lovely things." She looks at Val, "What about sending them with a guide? Nirus and I were speaking with folks, and there is a man Jasper d'Tharashk who has done more prospecting in the region than anyone else I can think of. He's going to have plenty more information on the Marsh of Desolation beyond the edges. Trouble is he's a bit...unhinged, so if you want to deal with him you better bring some patience if you want his aid."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Tue Jun 21, 2016 3:52 pm

Fletcher glances at Oloven, "Patience? Better let me do the talking then..." In all the chapters on the human condition the warforged has read, his personal favorites always fall in the realm of sarcasm.
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:43 pm

"Jasper was just the man I was thinking of," Val replies. "He's ... unorthodox, that's for sure. But he definitely knows his stuff. But if they can learn how to deal with him, he would be a valuable asset."

JohnnyWeird
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by JohnnyWeird » Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:46 pm

Je chuckles at Fletcher's bon mot.

"Our resident diplomat can soften even the hardest heart. Better an unhinged guide than an unfound Shard. If this man can better our chances, I've patience to spare."