Book 2: Chapter 2 - The Lady's Light

Eberron is a world of pulp noir where swashbuckling and intrigue run rampant. The Last War is over, the war to end all wars, but many say the fighting has simply shifted from the battlefield to the shadows.

In the wake of a long and terrible war, a world struggles to find its destiny. Will it descend once more into brutal conflict and end in spectacular annihilation, or will the world emerge at last into a new era of peace and prosperity? One group of heroes hopes to make Eberron a better place. The Grey Company, formed by a collection of heroes recruits new members to their growing ranks -- you among them.

Run by the Dragonmarked Heir Vardaen
ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

The Arcane Oubliette

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:34 am

Zeevan may have the body of the Rune Lord of Lust, but she isn't jumping at the opportunity to lay hands on the Shard of that emotion. It has caused enough problems already, they don't need another warlord running around. "So, who has the protective item to keep it from taking over our souls? We brought that, right?"
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The Arcane Oubliette

Post by Vardaen » Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:32 pm

Zeevan remembers that pink and green Ioun Stone being given to the company, and Fletcher having it! Oloven has the Shard of Greed on him and Fletcher the protective Ioun Stone. It would seem you'll have to risk the curse of the Shard of Lust for a short while until you can find those two and recover what you need.
Yup so the two guys that went inactive and vanished have your key pieces. So... you'll have to risk things for a bit then find them!
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

ManWithDoor

The Arcane Oubliette

Post by ManWithDoor » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:58 pm

Zeevan snaps her fingers as she remembers. "Right, we're screwed. Oloven had one of the Shards, Greed, I believe. So hopefully he hasn't lost that. And Fletcher, the big lug, has the damn Ioun Stone. So we're going to have to take it at risk, and police each other until we're safe again from its influence."

She paces in front of the Shard of Lust, considering. "I might be more immune than most, if this is a cloned body of Sorshen herself. ... or would I be instead more vulnerable, if she carried it for so long? Worrisome." She looks back, worried. "What do you all think?"
Damnit, that's what I assumed had happened. Well, that just means more Adventures for us! :)
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

The Arcane Oubliette: Loot

Post by Vardaen » Thu Dec 26, 2019 3:46 pm

The chamber is looted, all of the items other than the Shard are handled and dished out first. Then you turn your focus to the Shard of Greed.
Large Pouch with
Tourmaline 100 gp (x12)
Black Pearl 500 gp (x6)
Blue Sapphire 1000 gp (x2)

Bag of Holding (Type II) containing
Orb of Consumption
Pair of read leather Boots of Striding and Springing
Four Spider Silk Drawstring pouches (50gp per pouch)
Each pouch contains a dose of something
- Dust of Appearance 2
- Dust of Dryness 1
- Dust of Illusion 1
Immovable Rod
Whispering Coin
Goggles of Night
Ring of Minor Electricity Resistance
Breastplate +1, Light Fortification

5 Spell Books - (Split among them are these spells)
4th Lv - Charm Monster, Confusion, Phantasmal Killer
3rd Lv - Dispel Magic, Fireball, Hold Person, Reckless Infatuation
2nd Lv - Glitterdust, Hideous Laughter, Touch of Idiocy, Unnatural Lust
1st Lv - Burning Hands, Charm Person, Mage Armor, Magic Missile, Pro from Good, Shield
0th Lv - Bleed, Detect Magic, Ghost Sounds, Mending
ALL Enchantment Spells of 1st to 4th Level (from player's hand book)
NO Necromancy or Transmutation Spells at all
About 40 spells in all.

Also the spell books are littlered with bits and pieces of Ashamintallu's memories (the demon you just killed posing as Sorshen). If you were to study them you could piece together fragments of what has gone on in her life and here in the Lady's Light.
After dealing with so many things, so many treasures, you turn to the Shard of Lust.
SHARD OF LUST MAJOR ARTIFACT
Aura overwhelming enchantment; CL 25th
Slot none; Weight 1 lb.
DESCRIPTION
The Shard of Lust is made of a deep red djezet alloy. As long as the Shard of Lust is carried, its owner can use suggestion as a spell-like ability once per day, gains a +2 insight bonus on saves versus enchantment spells, and gains a +4 insight bonus on Initiative checks.

Curse: ???
ShardOfLustSmall.jpg
ShardOfLustSmall.jpg (9.37 KiB) Viewed 541 times
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Book 2: Chapter 2 - The Lady's Light

Post by RorytheRomulan » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:29 am

Taris stares back at Zeevan in confusion. They have other shards? They need protection to handle them? Well, doesn't that just figure. At least they're prepared - she didn't exactly gear up to manhandle dangerous artifacts (And let us never speak of the statues, under pain of my flail upside your head). At any rate, she raises an eyebrow at Orianna while Zeevan paces. If she didn't know better, she'd think that the ninja girl has seen the influence that these shards have on people, and fears being overcome herself if she were to take it.

And the Shard before them: Lust. Fantastic. But, perhaps her lack of the familiarity that breeds trepidation in her friend can be a blessing. And these "Grey Company" might be pretenders of the good cause they profess, and she knows her own mind better than they. Better herself than them, in either case.

She walks forward while Zeevan continues to stall the inevitable, and whips out a sack, turning it inside out over her hand. For whatever defense may be provided by avoiding direct contact, she picks up the Shard of Lust with the sack, as though scooping up dung after the family dog. Then she pulls the walls of the sack up over her hand and the shard, and wrings the opening of the sack shut.
Shard collect:
That's right, I'm prepared. Steps 1-4: Turn sack inside out. Put hand inside the inside-out sack. Grab Shard with sack-hand. Turn right-side-out again and hold the sack shut. Look, DM, no hands! :lol: Something tells me you've all tried this trick already and it didn't work...

Dibs on NOT looking into whatever Ashamintallu has been up to down here. Lots of blushing, lots of wincing in disgust, etc. Taris don't want none of that, she's already doing her part. I'll look up the loot descriptions later, see if there's anything I like.

ManWithDoor

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Dec 31, 2019 6:01 am

Zeevan observes with seriousness Taris' collection of the Shard. "I have personally never seen someone handle it without countermeasures in place, so we will watch each other. If it becomes overwhelming, we may have to take turns bearing the burden of the stone of Lust back to base, so none of us are consumed by its power."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jan 02, 2020 6:17 pm

Taris reaches out and with the bag as a sort of glove, scoops up the shard.

She doesn't suddenly leap on Zeevan to begin some sexual romp. She does however tug at the collar of her armor, and sort of squirms around begins to grimace...

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:00 am

Preoccupied, Taris just nods along, making an exasperated sigh as she forces the grimace down, and finally begins doffing her armor. Something about it seems to bother her.

"Got it. We gotta find your friends next, right? After that, maybe I'll come with you, see what you're all about. You guys can count on me. Dammit, this is chafing really badly."
Taris removes her Grey Maiden plate armor. It takes a minute I think, because of its material.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:56 pm

Armorless, the knight stands there, the red flush of blood to her face is fading, clearly there was SOME effect on her from grabbing the shard, even if she didn't touch it skin to metal. Having cleared the place out, its time to go. So you step back on the teleporter and return to the bed chamber. There you collect Je, he's never going to be the same again, and you head back through the Lady's Light, using your previous knowledge and that of Orianna.

The Fallen Maiden aids you as much as she can, and when you return to some of the other maiden that survived below she's genuinely happy to see them. You spend another several hours wandering the halls, taking boats here, and thwarting a few minor obstacles until you realize that Oloven and Fletcher are not here. You locate a note left by them on the throne in that ball room like chamber.

"Grey Company Companions,

Oloven was critically wounded after we went through the teleporters. I could only hope you were capable and have survived. I am taking Oloven back to the witch's hut in hopes she can heal him. I will wait for you there for as long as we can. If we do not meet up here, then I hope to see you once more in Stormreach at the Tower.

-- Fletcher"

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:00 am

Taris is just relieved that this is over. After her harsh words, the borderline kinslaying (except for Gianna, she can rot), and the oppressive mood of it all, she finds it difficult to look most of her once-sisters in the eye.

After they find and read the note left by Fletcher, she passes a look at Orianna. "That sounds like the same witch who told us how to get in."
If Desdemina is there:

Taris finds it difficult to look most of her once-sisters in the eye - except for Desdemina, the one who misled the group with directions into the poison perfume trap. She gives her the stink eye a little, until finally relenting and apologizing for her harsh words. "Hey Des. Sorry for threatening to butcher you."