Book 2: Chapter 2 - The Lady's Light

Eberron is a world of pulp noir where swashbuckling and intrigue run rampant. The Last War is over, the war to end all wars, but many say the fighting has simply shifted from the battlefield to the shadows.

In the wake of a long and terrible war, a world struggles to find its destiny. Will it descend once more into brutal conflict and end in spectacular annihilation, or will the world emerge at last into a new era of peace and prosperity? One group of heroes hopes to make Eberron a better place. The Grey Company, formed by a collection of heroes recruits new members to their growing ranks -- you among them.

Run by the Dragonmarked Heir Vardaen
User avatar
RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 1110
Location: US

Re: Book 2: Chapter 2 - The Lady's Light

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:41 pm

Being unarmored makes Taris feel truly naked, but she does enjoy having it off, even if the curse is forcing her to go without. She kindly guides Je through the darkness, having no trouble navigating it thanks to her celestial birthright, and quietly lends a hand if need be to keep Zeevan or Orianna from stumbling. When they finally stand in the light of the sun, she breathes deeply of the fresh air. Finally out.

She examines the skulls along the bridge, and thinks back to her days in the war when she examines the skulls. What race(s) are they, exactly?

"Neither do I, but I owe him my gratitude for getting me back on my feet. After you, then."

She guides Je with them (who seems passively obedient), and leaves Orianna to the sisters outside the hut.
Survival on skulls to determine the race(s) of the people that they were taken from. Do I have precedent for this in being at war with Karnath, the civ which used undead for labor and soldiers in the vanilla setting?

User avatar
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Posts: 66211
Location: Miskatonic University
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Book 2: Chapter 2 - The Lady's Light

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:28 pm

Fletcher looks at Zeevan, "I think you qualify." He allows Je and Zeevan to enter, but none of the Grey Maidens, then pauses and points at Taris to let her come in as well.

You head into the hut, Taris looking over the skulls, and helping Je. You find Oloven on a cot laying there looking a bit feverish but covered in a blanket. The shape of the blanket seems odd, then Fletcher lifts half the blanket up revealing at Oloven's right arm has been severed just under the shoulder. "This happened."

Maurox, the witch of the isle, sits in the dark corner with mortal and pestle grinding up some herbs.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

User avatar
ManWithDoor
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8385
Location: California, USA
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Re: Book 2: Chapter 2 - The Lady's Light

Post by ManWithDoor » Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:57 am

Zeevan winces, shaking her head sadly. She herself is a duel wielder. Losing an arm would halve her effectiveness, and completely mess with her flow. Not to mention the self-image issues and difficulties in even using buttons or the like. "We're here, brother. We succeeded, and we can all go back home. Couldn't have done it without you."
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

User avatar
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Posts: 66211
Location: Miskatonic University
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Book 2: Chapter 2 - The Lady's Light

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:41 pm

Maroux, is a tall slender half orc woman, her face looks foul-tempered, and one of her eyes is a solid milk white, blind, but you guess it sees things beyond the mortal world. She is dressed in a simple leather smock and rough spun clothing, her dress is knee high to keep out of the water and the mud. "He's not going to make it much more without some help. I have done what I can, but he needs blessed healing, and without his arm he was having trouble casting his little prayers himself. Pity too, he's not half bad looking."
Image
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

User avatar
ManWithDoor
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8385
Location: California, USA
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Re: Book 2: Chapter 2 - The Lady's Light

Post by ManWithDoor » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:54 pm

"I have some potions of wound-healing, but otherwise I'm a warrior with some unfair ki energy tricks. Healing is beyond my abilities." He offers up the potions if they would be of use. He assumes not, given the witch's skill. "Oh, one other thing." He digs around his pack and holds up a wand. "This thing is even more powerful at healing, if this would do it."
I've got 3 Potions of Cure Light Wounds? And a Wand of Cure Serious Wounds?
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

User avatar
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Posts: 66211
Location: Miskatonic University
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Book 2: Chapter 2 - The Lady's Light

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:13 pm

Marous holds her hand out, "No simple potion will help now. He is infected, body and mind, he needs more help than I can give. More than you can give by my guess." She looks at the group, "Take him, and go. Perhaps he will survive the trip to Stormreach, if he is strong and lucky, but there is nothing I can do now here. The sooner he can be given great aid the better his chance."

Fletcher nods, "Then we must trust to ourselves to move him over jungle terrain north."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

User avatar
RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 1110
Location: US

Re: Book 2: Chapter 2 - The Lady's Light

Post by RorytheRomulan » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:34 pm

Surprised, Taris blinks several times at the reveal of Oloven's amputation. She looks away from the cot, but finds herself glancing back now and then. She gives Je's hand a squeeze for his comfort, although she isn't sure he's even lucid at the moment.

When Fletcher states that they will have to head north, she folds her arms over her chest. "I can guide us through it and forage along the way. I specialized in pathfinding and tracking enemy movements. And I'm pretty darn good at it, if I dare say so - and I do. I'll do what I can to get us where we need to go as quickly as I'm able."

She coughs awkwardly and turns to Fletcher. "But before we head out, there's still the matter of protection that we need to see to. Zeevan said that you're carrying an Ioun stone. I'm going to need it. Soon." She keeps it vague, unsure of how much she can reveal in the company of the witch, or even the Grey Maidens outside for that matter.
Because Ioun is not in the pantheon of this setting, where do the stones get that name?

User avatar
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Posts: 66211
Location: Miskatonic University
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Leaving The Lady's Cape

Post by Vardaen » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:58 pm

We chatted on chat about Iuon history
Fletcher looks at Taris and then at Je and Zeevan, when he gets the nod from one he trusts he produces the stone. "You have the Shard? Let me see it." When it is held out he nods, and takes the Iuon Stone and places it inside the small indentation on the shard. The two fuse together magically, and Taris can feel her sexual desires (that were building and building, only held back by her sheer force of will) subside. She lets out a long sigh of relief, not THAT kind of relief, but those primal urges are gone now. Even the need to wear as little clothing as possible has faded and she is comfortable putting her armor back on.

So you take stock of things, and within half an hour you are ready to make the trip back to Stormreach. You have Oloven on a stretcher, his wounds as wrapped as well as you can. Outside Jasper the old coot that guided you here whispers, "They would come and fall, and rise, and fall again, but history would recount their success."

"I am finished with this activity. Let us go, " says the Warforged. You set out west to clear the cape before you turn north....

Image
The Dark Continent of Xen'drik

The mysterious continent of Xen'drik is a massive landmass that exists south of the continent of Khorvaire, beyond Shargon's Teeth and Thunder Sea. It has recently begun to be explored by agents of the Four Nations in hopes of making profit from the relics found there among other natural resources.

Hidden within the wild and untamed land are the desolate ruins of the ancient Giant Civilization. After battling the Quori the Giant Civilization was destroyed by the Dragon population of Argonnessen when they attempted to use their highly advanced devices to put down a elven slave revolt.

Aerenal Elves trace their origins to Xen'drik in the long forgotten past.

Xen'drik is now a continent mostly inhabited by drow, and degenerate Giants. It is a wild and untamed place with fabulous eldritch machines along with unimaginable treasures. It is still largely unexplored.


Image
Image

You can see cleared circles at 1 and The Big Lady. Those are underground locations you were at!

"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

User avatar
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Posts: 66211
Location: Miskatonic University
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Reaching Stormreach

Post by Vardaen » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:12 pm

A weeks travel through the jungle of Xen'drik does nothing to help anyone mood. Luckily the effects of the Shard have worn off, and you don't have to worry about those. You only need worry about the weather, the insects, the vermin and poisonous snakes, the occasional wild dinosaur, the traps and pitfalls left over from the ancient days and of course raiding Sulatar Elves, not to mention needing clean water and enough food to feed your sizable company.

Jasper knows his way, and lucky for you the disturbed man's desire to get home wins out against the crazy in his brain. Taris is a help in the wild, and Fletcher makes for an 24 hour sentinel to tend to Oloven. Oloven isn't getting better, perhaps a bit worse, but Jasper's spell casting helps keep the fever down.

A week of difficult travel and you are nearing Throne Gate Ruins, a landmark that tells you are you only a few days from Stormreach now. Its an ancient long abandoned giant city. The Tomb of Largus Thorpus is also located here, a recently excavated tomb of a fire giant paragon. These ruins have been picked over so many times you camp in the middle of them with no fear. You know you are only a few days from home now.

Two more days on 'the road', now in well traveled lands at long last you see Stormreach sprawled out before you.
Image
Image
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

User avatar
RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 1110
Location: US

Reaching Stormreach

Post by RorytheRomulan » Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:14 am

When the Ioun stone and the Shard come together, Taris sighs as though suddenly relieved of a great tightness in her chest. She looks off distantly, for but a moment, before she makes ready to depart.

She travels in her plate armor, once again feeling very comfortable. She hacks through the jungle foliage and poaches nuts and berries for provisions, and as an afterthought, makes an effort to hide or erase the party's tracks - as well as she can manage, which isn't much when she would prefer not to slow down the group. She volunteers for watch shifts during nights.

Upon nearing the city of Stormreach, she asks, "Anything important I need to know before we go in?"

Survival
Covering party tracks
I get the impression that the Grey Maidens never went to Stormreach, so Taris probably has no idea where anything is, or how the Stormreach Guard operate. But to me, it looks like the Temple of Vol in Southwatch might be the closest healing aid?

Locked