Book 3: Chapter 1 - Strait to It

Eberron is a world of pulp noir where swashbuckling and intrigue run rampant. The Last War is over, the war to end all wars, but many say the fighting has simply shifted from the battlefield to the shadows.

In the wake of a long and terrible war, a world struggles to find its destiny. Will it descend once more into brutal conflict and end in spectacular annihilation, or will the world emerge at last into a new era of peace and prosperity? One group of heroes hopes to make Eberron a better place. The Grey Company, formed by a collection of heroes recruits new members to their growing ranks -- you among them.

Run by the Dragonmarked Heir Vardaen
RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

House Lyrandar Air Ship

Post by RorytheRomulan » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:54 am

Another (almost) week passes by. More quiet evenings and mornings in meditation and prayer for strength and guidance, and attendance at temple gatherings. Taris places some purchase orders with the tower's magicians to be delivered in time for her to finish preparations. In the meantime, she told Oloven about their next move, and attempted to ingratiate herself with other residents of the Grey Tower, and with fellow Silver Flame devotees at the temple.

Until on the morning after the airship arrived, she looked out her window to see it floating in the air above the harbor. It was not the first she had seen, but it would be the first she had the privilege of boarding.

On the way to the harbor, she says, "I loved to imagine the view from up there as a girl, after learning about the blessing of my birth and then expecting to grow a pair of wings. My sister, bless her soul, is gonna be so jealous. Heh, excited I'm sure, but jealous."

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

House Lyrandar Air Ship

Post by Othniel » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:02 am

"I've never seen anything like it in all my life." Ceridwen's voice holds a clear tone of wonder. "But will it get us to our destination faster than a bird's flight?"

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

House Lyrandar Air Ship

Post by RorytheRomulan » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:27 pm

Taris keeps smiling. "I think we'll find out very soon," she says. "By the way, I just want to say that I like the stylized markings on your face. What do they mean?"
I'm using Ceridwen's profile picture for reference.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

House Lyrandar Air Ship: Cloud's Destiny

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:42 pm

Air Ships of House Lyrandar are not so rare in the world that they aren't seen, but travel on them is for the elite there can be no doubt. Or those with money. Between the elemental powered air ships, the great elemental power Lightning Rail in Khorvair, and the elemental land ships that go about, travel across the world has become faster than ever, and the world shrinks from it.

This ship should take you a day or two to sail across the ocean to the City of Sharn. You head to the base of the tower and check in, handing in the tickets of which you have. Each ticket is a magically produced piece of paper. Your image is actually imprinted on it through an illusion spell. The valet that takes the ticket inspects you and it, and punches a hole in it handing it back, and you head into the base of the tower. A porter takes your pack for you and promises it will be in your state room. You scale the tower climbing nine stories into the air to each the docking arm there which takes you over the city and you walk onto the great air ship.

You aren't scheduled to leave for an hour, so you are able to explore the ship a bit, go to your room, check the cafe and lounge and look over the rail from the observation deck of the Cloud's Destiny.
So your rooms are: I will label them more clearly later
Taris - Port 1 (smallest closet to the nose, but not in the nose)
Ceredwin - Starboard 1 (smallest closet to the nose, but not in the nose)
Zeevan - Port 2 (2nd smallest next to Taris)

TRy opening the link in a new window for a bigger view
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:33 pm

Zeevan has traveled on ships, obviously, but air ships are a new experience. They're still 'docked', and her legs aren't sure how to deal with things. Her body is expecting the gentle roll of the waves on board a ship, but the wind doesn't tilt and roll like the sea does. Weird.

After dropping off the packs in her room, Zeevan heads for the observation deck. Until she's certain how her body will react to flying, she avoids putting on more food and liquid into her stomach. Starting the journey with up-chucking a gallon of bile doesn't sound like a good time.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:53 pm

Taris visits her room to see that everything she brought with her is put there. Situating her gear in the near left corner underneath the lamp in the room, she unpacks some provisions and grooming fare for the trip, but not much, and she doesn't check to see that *everything* down to her flint & steel are present, she trusts the porters not to stain the reputation of House Lyrandar - well, except to see that the potions are all there.

She's not in her armor currently, carrying only a flail and her shield strapped to her back for the walk over. She sets the weapon and her shield on top of the table, and hooks her treasured cold-iron polearm on the bedpost, resting the haft over the trunk nearby. She leaves her room in plainclothes: a vest and a skirt with her magic belt buckled snugly over her hips, with her cloak on her shoulders. She carries her longsword sheathed on her back and a bolas hanging from her belt. She leaves the door locked if she can.

'Is she going to the cafe'? Friend, does a bear shit in the woods? She browses what's available to drink and settles on a mug of their house blend of coffee with milk and cream, which she sips as she joins the other passengers on the main deck to examine the ballistae. The ballistae? Indeed, the airship's mounted weaponry. Then she looks out over the railing, sipping her coffee and waiting to watch the city disappear on the horizon as they depart. All while taking the ship's motionless deck for granted. She waves to Zeevan and Ceridwen from the main deck.
A little bit of everything for me! Does the airship take live cargo? If so, I'll bring my mount and give him a quick look-over as well and feed him an apple. (huh, I think I still need to name him)

Still wearing magical equipment - Shard, belt, cloak, etc.

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:05 am

Ceridwen blushes at the attention paid to the paint upon her face. "These denote devotion to my goddess - Arawai, the Goddess of Abundance."

Later on the ship, Ceridwen joins Taris. Unlike the other woman, she hasn't left anything behind in her room, perhaps not trusting the other passengers or the stability of the craft. Summer Blossom the tiger pads softly behind.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:14 pm

As expected you are not expected to travel in armor or armed, they have private security on the Air Ship for that and those of you who deem it necessary to carry more than a token weapon are asked to keep such things in your room, "for the safety and comfort of all our passengers". In fact you see more people boarding, many are dressed in finery, no one on board gives you the impression of a pauper -- its not cheap to travel in such a way. There are a trio of halflings who bring on cargo crates with live dinosaurs in them, there are nobles with their noses so high up you wonder how they breath, there are others too, a black skinned Sulatar elf that seems dangerous to even look at, plus others of wealth some old money some new money.

Taris has her mount brought on board and she checks in on the animal, even as Ceridwen's tiger pad around with her until she's asked to keep a leash on the animal or keep it in her state room. It is a wild beast after all and there are other livestock on board, but they understand the need and connection of druids so they don't push too much.

After an hour or more there is a loud announcement made "Departure procedure are to begin. We ask all passengers move to the observation deck, the cafe or their rooms until we are clear of the city."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

ManWithDoor
Title: Imperial Psyker
User Class: Imperial Psyker

Post by ManWithDoor » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:49 am

Observation deck time! In this safe environment where she doesn't have to be ready to fight at a moment's notice, she can actually just ... relax. Enjoy herself. Be silly in having fun at this new experience rather than having to be dour and serious at all times. She follows whatever safety instructions are given, while trying to position herself for the best view.
Rule Number 12: "A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head."

RorytheRomulan
Level 12
Level 12

Post by RorytheRomulan » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:24 am

Taris cringes around all the well-dressed folks, but stares in awe at the live animals being hauled onto the ship. "Are those the lizards the halflings...ride as mounts? They're huge. Whose are they?" she wonders out loud.