Rules and Conventions (For Game 1. Ignore now)

This is where the Battletech-only games will live now that there is a Mechwarrior game running
Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Re: Battletech!

Post by Bitom » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:59 pm

So, while we're working on moving, it's time to talk about attacks.

This is going to be a little disappointing to those of us who remember the full rules, but you can only shoot at one mech per turn, there is only a front firing arch, there is no torso twisting, and there is no heat.

So when declaring fire: declare target and say which weapons you are firing. That's it.

Officially, firing is supposed to take place one mech at a time in order of initiative (reversed) and then all hits are calculated and finally, damage recorded. This gives a very slight advantage to the initiative winner, as they know who is shooting at them, but not much, since you probably picked your target during movement.

I would like to propose a quicker version: When we get to the declare fire phase, lets just declare all of our fire. The tiny advantage of seeing who is shooting you is not, in my opinion, worth wasting a week of round-robin posting on. If the slowest poster gets a tiny advantage, so be it.

What say you, enemies?

pygmaelion
Level 11
Level 11

Post by pygmaelion » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:07 pm

"Commander NerdSlagger! Incoming communique from the Bitomians!"

"Put it through, DorkenHammer... MmmmHmm... Uhhh Huh... Yes. Send a counter message indicating that we are agreeable to the terms, and that a single target per mech without waiting for the firing orders of others is just fine."

"B-B-But Commander! That's not how it works in the rules!"

"Junior Officer! I don't need to be reminded of the rules... but seeing as I've just had the heat sinks from the Enforcer taken out and replaced with a giant kegerator, and my jump jet requisition has been filled with a 7 ton pogo stick, sod the regular orders! Let the enemy eat our unalphabetized lazers!"

MadVlat
Level 17 Elite
Level 17 Elite

Post by MadVlat » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:14 pm

"Well hell, dats' simple enough fer my goats ta' understand. We of the Visceran empire concur with your assessment"...
...And the stone of the earth and the wind in the sky bowed before the wisdom of the Ancient One...

jigglypuff69
Level 18 Elite
Level 18 Elite

Post by jigglypuff69 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:22 pm

What-evs. If that works, then cool. All that matters is having move/fire as separate rounds. I'm in.
I am the voice of Never Never Land, the innocence of every man, I am the empty crib of Peter Pan. A silent kite against the blue, blue sky, every chimney every moonlit sight. I am the story that will read you real, every memory that you hold dear...

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:23 pm

While its not Battletech, its seems darn close.

Mech Warrior Online, free to get, free to play.

http://mwomercs.com/game

My Brother in Law says its AWESOME.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Bitom » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:48 pm

just realized that although it's not very important that we DECLARE fire in the right order, it is important that I RESOLVE fire in intiative order.

I went back through our firing rounds so far, and my mistake has not actually changed any results yet, so I haven't screwed up the game.

Rest assured, I will do it correctly from here on out.

Bitom
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Bitom » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:43 am

So, now that we're on the full version, there are some changes:
Things to be aware of:
  • You can't run backwards (Sorry pyg)
  • You can drop prone
  • Two words: Jump Jets
  • Woods hexes can be set on fire (Either intentionally or accidentally) by flamers and lasers. Fire generates smoke
  • Torso twisting can occur, so sneaking into the rear arc is much more difficult. We will do torso twisting as part of fire declatation. Alternately, certain mechs can flip their arms over to the rear arc. I think that the Warhammer and Marauder can do this, I will confirm.
  • You can do physical attacks. (Punch, kick, charge, death from above, Push)
  • You can shoot at multiple targets at once. To do so, you need to declare the order of attacks, as the later attacks take more penalty.
  • You have side and rear firing arcs
  • You can aim shots at immobilized mechs.
  • you will build up heat
  • water dissipates heat faster, but takes a piloting skill roll to walk through
  • You can decide to shoot down the woods.
  • Many, many more special rules.
  • There are critical hits, internal structure, and equipment to damage.
I will try to do as much as possible automatically. But it's a lot.

I very much suggest that everyone try to acquire a copy of the Battletech compendium. I believe that bren's imperial library has one.