Book 8: Act 1 - The Troubles of Men

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
User avatar
Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Posts: 3739
Location: The Old Forest

A Ringing Bell

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:17 pm

Finn dives in after Hild into the dark and still waters.

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 20 Elite
Level 20 Elite
Posts: 9853
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

A Ringing Bell

Post by Muskrat » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:59 pm

Varuthil looks up from the ruins, a look of distaste on her face, intending to communicate what she has learned to the others, when she sees Finn diving into the murky pool. She runs up to the others and says, "What's going on? How can I help?"

User avatar
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Posts: 66273
Location: Miskatonic University
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

A Ringing Bell

Post by Vardaen » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:23 pm

Going to let Graven a chance to post before resolving things
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

User avatar
Graven
Level 3
Level 3
Posts: 170
User Class: Rigger

A Ringing Bell

Post by Graven » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:44 pm

Sorry for the delay, been rough
Spend Hope
Moving toward the dark water, Heva feels a hand on her arm, a solid anchor against the pull of the enchantment. Looking down, she follows the arm to Glirion's face. "Thank you," she seems rattled before taking in the chaos, "Where can I help?"
Fantasy is the exercise bike of the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I might be wrong.
- Sir Terry Pratchett
I will always return
- Shinjo
Formerly Phlale

User avatar
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Posts: 66273
Location: Miskatonic University
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

A Ringing Bell: Murky Passage

Post by Vardaen » Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:43 pm

Finn and Heva are stopped, but Hild walks right into the pool until she's lost from sight. It takes Finn a moment to come to his senses as he himself is saved, but then he dives in after her almost at once pack and all. Finn dives in and swims about, but Hild is gone just like that. Perhaps its the darkness of the pool, perhaps he's too slow, but he breaks the surface with out her. Taking a breath he dives below again and does not see her, but his eyes spot something in the murky depth, a passage under the water leading to some chamber below.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

User avatar
Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Posts: 3739
Location: The Old Forest

A Ringing Bell: Murky Passage

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:44 pm

Deciding it best to not go alone Finn turns around to resurface, "There is a passage under the water. It is not far, though it may be a trap. Follow me if you are willing, we must find Hild, but . . ."

He does not voice anything further, his thoughts mainly on Hild, but something nags at him about this place. Maybe it was not chance that brought them here.

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 20 Elite
Level 20 Elite
Posts: 9853
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

A Ringing Bell: Murky Passage

Post by Muskrat » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:48 pm

Varuthil says, "I will follow you, but let us be wary. This place is soaked through with evil--even the stones are filled with malice. But we may find the dwarves down there as well--I saw some recent dwarven bootprints." She wades into the water, preparing to follow Finn down.

User avatar
Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 1290
User Class: Wanderer

A Ringing Bell: Murky Passage

Post by Othniel » Tue Dec 22, 2020 4:35 am

"My people live along the Gladden and Anduin. I fear not the water," Glirion states, and plunges after the others.

User avatar
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Posts: 66273
Location: Miskatonic University
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

A Ringing Bell: Flooded Chamber

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:13 pm

Those that will follow Finn into the dark murky pool. He dives into the cold waters, with allies behind him. You swim in single file through the dark and down into a narrow tunnel which loops like a goose neck leading into a chamber filled with air. You burst from the water gasping for breath into the pitch dark of the chamber. There is stale air, and stone you can feel, but you need light if you are too see. As you attempt to gather your senses you do see a faint green glow, foxfire moss on the wall, its far from enough to guide your way, but at least you know you aren't dead. Shivering you climb out of the pool and put your feet on rocky ground, the dank smell down here is sour, like rotting food, and the film of the stagnant water on you adds to the foulness of the chamber.
I'm assuming all PCs are here, and all NPCs remain behind to guard the supplies. If a player doesn't post in a reasonable amount of time, I'll assume they have become an NPC and are sticking behind.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 20 Elite
Level 20 Elite
Posts: 9853
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

A Ringing Bell: Flooded Chamber

Post by Muskrat » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:37 pm

Varuthil attempts to feel in her backpack to see if she has a dry torch.

If she can't find one, she puts her hand on the floor and murmurs to the stones, trying to see what they will tell her about the lightless chamber and where it leads.
The Speakers: Riddle 2 seems like the most appropriate skill. If no one has a light source we can use, I'll spend Hope to succeed so we at least get some guidance.

Post Reply