Book 8: Act 1 - The Troubles of Men

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
User avatar
Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Posts: 3767
Location: The Old Forest

A Ringing Bell: Closed Door

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:51 pm

Finn waits next to Gerwald, waiting to see what unfolds by the locked door.

User avatar
Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
Posts: 2046
Location: Kansas
User Class: Wanderer

A Ringing Bell: Closed Door

Post by Wbweather » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:51 am

"I don't know about courtesy, but perhaps if our dwarves are in there we might convince them to come out if they knew we were sent to find them and that we had dealt with that beast outside. Here, let me have a go." Gerwald looks at the door and thinks for a moment. "You in there, we are a company sent to find a group of dwarves. We have already dealt with a troll, I bear the bruises to prove it. If you are friendly, then come forward and we will protect you. If you be enemies, then we will deal with you as well." He listens to see if his words have any effect.
Awe 3

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Posts: 10246
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

A Ringing Bell: Closed Door

Post by Muskrat » Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:59 pm

Varuthil does not like this course of action, but she bites her lip and holds her tongue, waiting anxiously to see what response they will get. Her hands stand ready to move to her bow and arrows.

User avatar
Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
Posts: 1510
User Class: Wanderer

A Ringing Bell: Closed Door

Post by Othniel » Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:36 am

"I would be willing to give it a try, if no one else," the Elf of Lorien offers.
I have Courtesy 2.

User avatar
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Posts: 66392
Location: Miskatonic University
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

A Ringing Bell: Closed Door

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:05 pm

"Eh? you killed a troll?"

You hear some muffled conversation on the far side of the door and realize if you can barely hear them, they must be able to barely hear you as well. After a few moments the door is opened, from the inside, and it grinds open a few inches, and light from a torch shines out, smoke trailing through the crack. Two weary and bedraggled dwarves appear behind the light. "Thank Dain you have arrived." You have rarely seen dwarves' so skinny, clearly they have not eaten in a long while. "I am Balin, at your service." the old dwarf attempts to bow, but catches himself as he nearly falls. "And I am Oin at your service." He makes no attempt to bow. You can hear in their voices they are parched and hungry, weak and weary. "Thank you for coming to save us. We must go before the Marsh-dwellers catch up and find us. We have too long been hiding from them."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

User avatar
Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite
Posts: 2046
Location: Kansas
User Class: Wanderer

A Ringing Bell: Closed Door

Post by Wbweather » Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:06 pm

“Then let us get far from this place and then we can hear your tale. But first, can we give you a morsel of food or a swallow of drink? You two barely look able to stand.” Gerwald looks about the place anxiously, not desiring to meet these Marshdwellers.

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Posts: 10246
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

A Ringing Bell: Closed Door

Post by Muskrat » Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:18 pm

Varuthil nods. "Yes, eat and drink first. We will not get far if hunger weighs too heavily on you."

User avatar
Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Posts: 3767
Location: The Old Forest

A Ringing Bell: Closed Door

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:38 pm

Finn is quite relieved that the Dwarves have been found. At Varuthil's suggestion he looks around, "Let us leave this place, and then we can see to food and drink. It is foul and oppressive, and I think sunlight and air will refresh your spirits as much as food."

Post Reply