Prelude: The Gathering of Five Armies

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Re: Prelude: The Gathering of Five Armies

Post by TetNak » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:30 am

Aerth nods, pulling back his hood. Underneath, his blond hair is tied back, covering his ears, but at this vantage, he looks far more odd than the did with his hood up. He is particularly pale, with piercing blue eyes, and golden blond hair. "Let me retrieve my gear, and I shall return to you." The large fellow does just that, reclaiming his bow, axe, and pack. He pulls along his chair, sliding it up alongside the hobbit and dwarf. "Apologies, I am Aerth," he says, bowing his head.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:36 am

As Aerth pulls back his hood, the dwarf remarks, "Ah... Now I see why you hid your face." The dwarf laughs at his off-mark and maybe unpleasant comment as the stranger departs to get his gear. Of course, there's nothing wrong with Aerth's face as far as Borir is concerned. Other than joking with the man, he meant no ill words towards him.

Looking to Pipkin, Borir says, "I hope I didn't hurt his feelings. Those tall ones are too emotional and moody." Luckily, the strange looking man returns and slides a chair over to sit next to them.

As introductions begin, Borir boasts, "I am Borir, son of Norir, of the Longbeards of Erebor."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:38 am

"Hardly," Aerth says, looking at the dwarf, "I reckon that taking three steps to every one of mine would make one grouchy. Such a tiring business that must be." The man, at least, seems to have a sense of humor. "Well met, Borir, son of Norir."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:55 am

"And I'm Pipkin Brandybuck, from Whitfurrows, Eastfarthing, The Shire." The hobbit bows. "At your service." He pulls a small leather pouch from his coat pocket and holds it out for Aerth to take a pinch. "This is Old Toby. I keep some around for special occasions, though it's hard to get, so I smoke it sparingly. I have some Southern Star and some Westfarthing's Finest that I use for my day-to-day smoking. They're not quite as good, in my opinion. But they're not bad either. I have an extra pouch of Southern Star in my pack that you may have with my compliments." He sniffs at Aerth's pipe and shakes his head. "That's Southbottom Blend, if I don't miss my guess. And I can't have a friend of mine smoking Southbottom Blend!"

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:08 am

Aerth watches Pipkin talk and talk and talk and talk.

"Oh," he starts, then pauses, nodding a few times, showing a look of confusion, and shrugging finally. "I doubt it is even the quality of a Southbottom Blend," Aerth protests. He turns over his pipe and raps it against his palm, emptying it into his hand. Even with what the hobbit says, Aerth pumps the pipeweed back into his own pouch for later. The Old Toby won't last forever. Slowly, Aerth does reach out and take a pinch, placing it directly into his pipe. "I thank you greatly, Pipkin Brandbuck, I am unworthy of such a gift."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:45 am

Borir makes a grunting gruff sound at Aerth's remark about being short. He simply nods at the man, offering his returned greeting. He then partakes to listening to the two go on about weed. He glances around the taproom and then back to his friend and Aerth.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:59 am

"Nonsense," Pipkin replies. "Half the joy of smoking is enjoying a pipe with a friend. And I've been sadly without that half of that enjoyment since I left the Lonely Mountain. Certainly regaining half my joy in having a pipe is worth a little celebration!"

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:25 pm

Wren is enjoying his ale as well as watching the crowd when he spots a familiar face. Leaning against the bar is an elf curiously checking out a hobbit who is engaged in a conversation with a dwarf. Wren weaves his way through the crowd and appears next to the elf.

Leaning in, "Hello Varuthil, hobbits are a lot smaller than I thought they would be..."
A brief smile flickers across Varuthil's face at Wren's words. "I must say, I was not expecting to see a hobbit at all. Now that I see one, I am intrigued. It is hard to believe that one of these folk played a key role in the downfall of Smaug."

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:23 pm

"Well Varuthil, it seems great purpose can come in such small packages." Wren takes another swig of his ale, "How have you been, I have not seen you in some time."
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:06 pm

"I suppose that is true," Aerth agrees with the hobbit. He pulls his small tinder stick from his pack, placing the end within the candle's flames, then sets it inside his pipe. After a few puffs the weed lights afire, and to which Aerth smiles. "That is some fine stuff," he commends, "My compliments and thanks." He exhales with a satisfying sigh.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name