Prelude: The Gathering of Five Armies

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: Prelude: The Gathering of Five Armies

Post by Trogdor » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:47 pm

"Ooh, a swimming contest," Pipkin says, looking up from his bowl. "Did I ever tell you that I swam across a river once, Borir? I did it on a bet. The other kids never thought I'd dare. I suppose I had a reputation, even then, for doing things other hobbits thought a bit dangerous. But really, it wasn't that big a river, and it didn't flow fast at all." The hobbit chuckles. "Still, that didn't stop be from getting a terrible scolding from my parents that night. I'm afraid most hobbits consider water as being for washing up dishes and making tea, not swimming in. Why I'll bet the closest most hobbits get to swimming is their Saturday night bath."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:51 pm

Borir gruffs at the man's choice of dangers, "Blaggh." He retorts to the challenge of swimming as he then turns to listens to Pipkin's tale of swimming across the river, which to a hobbit could be anywhere from a creek to an actual river depending on how large the crossing and tale has become.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:06 pm

Wren takes another swig of ale from his pint, "Both actually, Varuthil. I'm a bit of a woodwright in my spare time which I seem to have a bit more of lately now that the Lake-town rebuilding effort has completed. I came here to inquire about selling some of my own efforts here as well as check out the celebration." Wren pauses for moment and takes a bit of the stew that was brought out. "So tell me, have you had any luck regarding the presence in Mirkwood?"
Varuthil shakes her head. "No, I do not think I have discovered anything we do not already know--that the presence is powerful and malign."
I'm forgetting how much was popularly known about the presence of the Enemy at Dol Goldur. I know by this time the White Council new it was Sauron and his Ring Wraith lieutenants, but how much was generally known?

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:14 pm

"Indeed Varuthil, but let us not worry about such things for the time being, in fact I am sorry I asked."

Putting his bowl of stew down, "I have to agree with the out spoken hobbit over there, this could benefit from some seasoning."
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:17 pm

"Perhaps you could ask to share his spices?" she suggests. "It would be interesting to see how this traveler from afar livens up his food--he may well use something unknown to us wood elves."

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Eilandor » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:31 pm

"Good idea."

He spots an opening to speak to the Hobbit as a familiar looking Half Elf and some Dwarf seem to be going back and forth.

"Excuse me sir, I couldn't help but overhear your discontent for the stew and it's lack of...well flavor. Do you happen to have any of what you spoke of?"

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:03 pm

Pipkin looks up and has a puzzled expressionon his face as he parses what the elf has just said to him. Then a look of understanding comes to him as he figures things out. "Oh, you mean my spices," he replies at last. Why I should be glad to give you a pinch to liven up your stew." He reaches into his pouch and takes the small leather bag out again.

"Now mind you, this is not precisely what I'd flavor the stew with if I had my druthers. This mixture is only a kind of Allspice I use as a general flavoring. I'd add a good bit more ramsons with perhaps a dash more celery leaf, and not nearly as much marjoram, if I were making the stew. And properly, it should cook for at least three hours with a bay leaf or two." He holds up the pouch. "Why don't you join us and bring your bowl over. I'm sure my friends wouldn't mind." He shoots a questioning look over at Borir and Aerth.

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Eilandor » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:12 pm

Wren fetches his stew and comments to Varuthil, "Come on, he's willing to share."

Arriving back at the Hobbit's table, "Apologies, I have not introduced myself. I am Wren and this is Varuthil. What is your name kind sir."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:18 pm

"Pipkin Brandybuck, of the Eastfarthing Brandybucks, at your service." He stands up on tje chair and bows to the two elves. "This is Borir, late of the Lonely Mountain, and Aerth, of -well- of the Wildlands, I suppose." Then he resumes his seat and motions for the newcomers to sit down.

"Here you go," he says, adding two pinches of the spices to Wren's stew. "Now mix it in thoroughly and the stew should be much better."

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite

Post by Eilandor » Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:30 pm

Wren nods to both Borir and Aerth then proceeds to add two pinches to his stew. Stirring it up and trying, "Much improved Pipkin, much improved."