Prelude: The Gathering of Five Armies

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: Prelude: The Gathering of Five Armies

Post by Trogdor » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:36 pm

"How wonderful!" Pipkin says with child-like enthusiasm as he looks up at all the kites. "In the Shire we just have the diamond-shaped ones. Well, Old Gaffer Dunston has one shaped like an open box. He says his gaffer got it from dwarves, if you can believe that. But the amazing thing is that it really flies. Up in the air. Of course now that I see these kites, the gaffer's box kite seems almost normal. Do they fly kites where you live?"

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:42 pm

Borir watches the kites and enjoys the moment. The young dwarf has seen a few kites, but he had never spent much time to simply watch and enjoy. When he notices the dwarven company with kites, he points saying "Ooooo. Look there, that's some mighty fine kites!"

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:23 am

"I'm afraid kite flying is a pleasure the elves of Mirkwood must forgo," says Varuthil. "The woods are too thick to really permit it. And, given the creatures of Shadow that lurk in the woods, we prefer not to give away our presence in such a fashion." She looks at the kites and sighs. "It is a pity. Perhaps one day the woods may be cleansed of the Shadow and we go up to the heights of hills in Mirkwood and fly kites. But I suspect that day is a long way off."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:18 am

Aerth has found Varuthil's talk of the Shadow tiring at best. The man knows of the Shadow, and fights it relentlessly across the peoples of the Wilderland. He, however, does not feel the need to sour the mood here speaking of things that should be left to those that know of the lingering Shadow among the hills and trees. There is no reason to spoil the mood.

Watching the trees, the fully packed man pauses for a moment near the others, but says nothing. He simply watches the kits fly with a satisfied grin.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:35 pm

Wren sits and watches the kites with fascination. He had seen them before, but never had the privilege of flying one. When his mind wanders he produces a piece of stock and a small knife from his bag. As he begins to carve into the block he turns to Varuthil, "Forgo? One must simply leave the forest now and again to be presented with such choices." With a grin, "All forests have shadows..."
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:08 pm

Varuthil scowls at Wren for making light of the Shadow, then realizes that he is only trying to lighten the mood and enjoy himself. The scowl fades and she says, "Yes, I suppose that's true. So, let's see you try to fly that kite. Do you have any practice with such things?"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:14 pm

Notice there are elves flying kites here today Muskrat, just in case you missed it.

"Along the norther fields a small collection of Woodland Elves fly slender silver and blue kites like chains of gems and jewels."
The talk of the Shadow always sours the mood and you can see on many faces the displeasure when Varuthil brings it up yet again. The Dragon Smaug was defeated five year ago, this is a celebration of that great victory over the dragon and of the Goblin and Warg army afterwards -- what Shadow is there still to fear?

Wren lightens the mood some, and then you see it. A vendor down on the field not far, selling kites, small ones, they aren't much coin and are brightly colored of all manner, one might finds something pleasing for everyone among his wares.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:34 pm

Wren smiles at Varuthil while putting his unfinished carving away. "Practice with such things...no, but it appears you have thrown down the gauntlet."

He begins to make his way to the vendor, "Come on everyone, what's flying a kite without a little bit of...contest."
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:49 am

Pipkin ambles over to the merchant and looks at the kites, trying to find one that matches the kites he used to fly as a child.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:32 am

Yep, I didn't absorb that part--I was just going with what seemed logical, though perhaps my character's pessimistic view of things colored what seemed logical.
Varuthil follows the others to purchase a kite. Surprisingly, she turns out to be quite choosy, looking closely over the kites before deciding which one to buy and try flying.