Prelude: The Gathering of Five Armies

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
User avatar
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Posts: 66142
Location: Miskatonic University
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Prelude: The Gathering of Five Armies

Post by Vardaen » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:24 pm

The lead thug sneers, "We are just taking what we's due. He cheated us and we are getting our share." He looks a bit worried at the nearing dwarf, "All you needs to do is look the other a moment and we'll cut you in for a share of the goods we will."

Pipkin finds a few nice stones on the ground.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

User avatar
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Posts: 13164
Title: Warden of the North
User Class: Slicer

Re: Prelude: The Gathering of Five Armies

Post by Shurijo » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:29 pm

Borir peers at the man and replies, "If it's money matters, then the local sheriff can help sort things out. No need to draw weapons over a few coins. Put your weapons down and let's head back to town like grown ups."

User avatar
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Posts: 66142
Location: Miskatonic University
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Prelude: The Gathering of Five Armies

Post by Vardaen » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:02 pm

The man Jonar laughs, "No I don't think so. We'll take our money from him here and now. You can move along, look away, or just shove off now. None of this is your concern."

Baldor, his back to the trees calls out, "Please! Help I didn't cheat these men, Jonar is lying, he's the one double crossing me. Please. Please!" Belgo the young boy doesn't do what Borir says, instead he grabs a stone off the ground and throw it the man closest to his father, "Leave my dad alone Finnar!" The stone missed but the man turns around, "Don't make me hurt you Belgo cause I will!", he brandishes his sword.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

User avatar
TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Posts: 46366
Location: Seagard
User Class: Brewmaster

Re: Prelude: The Gathering of Five Armies

Post by TetNak » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:02 pm

Aerth has all his gear with him, as he was on his way out of town directly after the kite flying contests. He does not unsling his bow or axe yet, watching and waiting to see what happens. He is happy to allow Borir to speak for them, as he does not disagree with the dwarf's comments in the least.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 20 Elite
Level 20 Elite
Posts: 9634
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: Prelude: The Gathering of Five Armies

Post by Muskrat » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:19 am

NOTE: HEAVILY EDITED

Varuthil draws herself up to her full height, throwing back her white-blond hair, manifesting all the glory of Illuvatar's elder children, already having seen more years than these men could ever hope to live. Her normally cold voice is like icy steel now. "I would think twice about following that course of action. You fact two Elves of Mirkwood and more of our kin are nearby. We are not known for loving those who would commit such acts as you contemplate, cutting down a man in front of his own child. And we have one of the dwarves with us--who also has many of his kin here and they too are known for their keen sense of justice, not mention their unrelenting wills. If your own sense of honor and shame cannot move you to forebear from this evil act, let your sense of self-preservation guide you."
An Awe roll--spend a Hope point to succeed if I need to. Or I suppose this could be a persuade roll, because she's trying to instill in them how dangerous their course of action is. Your call, V, but I would prefer Persuade.

So, can I invoke the Merciful trait for an auto-success here? I recognize it may be too much of a stretch here, but my rationale is two-fold: 1) Varuthil is motivated by wanting to protect the boy Brego--and she herself suffered from the loss of both her parents to orcs when she was a child. This is what gives her sense of mercy and valuing life and she doesn't want to see this boy go through the same horror she did or worse, because he will actually see his father killed. 2) Successfully intimidating the men would nonviolently defuse the situation and spare their lives as well.

User avatar
Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Posts: 27260
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: Prelude: The Gathering of Five Armies

Post by Trogdor » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:36 am

As the others confront the guards-turned-bandits more directly, Pipkin takes the more subtle route. Keeping his stones in hand, he slips quietly into the woods and starts making his way around to the other side of the conflict, where he can hurl his stones and achieve greater surprise.
Try and use Stealth to get into a better position to surprise these evil guards with a well-placed stone. Spend a Hope if I need to for a success.

User avatar
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Posts: 66142
Location: Miskatonic University
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Prelude: The Gathering of Five Armies

Post by Vardaen » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:32 pm

Merciful Trait, I'll let you make this a Persaude roll cause of it. Normally they can only be Intimidated.

Persuade (Favored) 2
Willing to spend Hope? Yes

d12 + 2d6 = 6 + 4 + 1 = 11 + Hope 9 = 20 vs TN 14 Success
Varuthil stands to her full height and throws her hair back, her voice icy cold comes from her lips. She would see this end without bloodshed, but the tint of violence in her voice helps to persuade the three men that cutting down the father before the child is not a wise idea. They have no honor, but they are craven men, and can see a point to the elven woman's argument -- they are out numbered five to three. Jonar snarls like a cornered beast, "Alright Wood Elf, you win this time, but if our paths cross again, you will regret it!" He snaps his fingers at the other two, "Fiinar, Kelmund, come on, let's go, its not worth it!" The other two thugs follow orders and the three men slip around the group heading away back toward Dale.

The moment they are clear of Baldor, Belgo the son darts across the space and leaps at his father grabbing hold of him with a big hug. "You're safe father! Oh thank the Mountain you are safe father!" Baldor throws down his branch and hugs his son tightly, "You did well Belgo, you did very well." He holds his son tightly for a moment and then sets him down. He regards Varuthil, "I am Baldor of Dale and I owe you a great thanks. Who do I have the pleasure of thanking for this kindness?
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

User avatar
Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Posts: 27260
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: Prelude: The Gathering of Five Armies

Post by Trogdor » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:16 pm

Pipkin steps out from the woods on the opposite side of the clearing, tosses a stone in the air, catches it, then lets it drop back to the ground. But he offers no immediate introduction, allowing Varuthil the opportunity to speak first.

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 20 Elite
Level 20 Elite
Posts: 9634
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: Prelude: The Gathering of Five Armies

Post by Muskrat » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:23 pm

Varuthil smiles briefly at Baldor, "I am Varuthil, of the Elves of Mirkwood. And consider it nothing--I could not bear the idea of a boy seeing his own father cut down before him." Her eyes shift to the bandits walking away. "Perhaps we should walk back to the fair with you. I suspect the local sheriff will want to arrest those men, if it can be done." She waits for the others to introduce themselves--she considers them no less important to scaring the men away, since her threats were backed by their presence.

User avatar
Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Posts: 27260
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: Prelude: The Gathering of Five Armies

Post by Trogdor » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:02 am

"My name is Pipkin Brandybuck," the hobbit says, offering his hand to the merchant. "A very good morning to you."

Locked