Book 1: Act 1 - Don't Leave the Path

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: Book 1: Act 1 - Don't Leave the Path

Post by Muskrat » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:06 am

Varuthil nods at Baldor's words. "We will do our best to protect your caravan so that you and your son may see more prosperous days. It would be a pity for such a bright young lad to grow up on the streets." She snorts with amusement at Borir's words. "I would not worry about the elves, Master Dwarf, since Baldor has told us that he is already on good terms with them. We do not make trouble for our friends. I think we should concern ourselves more with Mirkwood's other perils." She pauses and says, "Yes, I know, Thorin Oakenshield's company was not given a warm welcome when they passed through here to reclaim the Lonely Mountain--but King Thranduil did not judge them friends. Hopefully, such days are behind us."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The Edge of the Woodland Realm

Post by Vardaen » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:03 pm

Baldor seems to have a weight lifted from his shoulders and he stands a little taller and leans on his stick a little less. "Thank you all, thank you all so much. Now, let's get moving shall we, we are burning daylight." He smiles at Borir and Varuthil, "Right are both of you, never heard of a dwarf caravan failing, and we have no worries from the elves, I have many friends among them, and many new ones now too." He is suggesting Wren and Varuthil.

So you join Belgo at the horses and the whole group starts off up the river. It is only an hour's walk up the well worn river path to a small area where the river takes a turn and in so doing so makes a small pool and safe area of slow currents. A small marker stone on the bank of the river is easily visible by rafts on the water and serves as a place to tie off. "Here we are, we are early so we'll have to wait a bit."

You spend the rest of the day in conversation with Baldor and Belgo. The young boy is very interested in Pipkin who he finds less intimidating than the stern dwarf or dour Varuthil. Baldor explains his cargo, and you go over what's where with the horses and talk details of the camping situations to come. Is a chance for you to also talk tactics for the long road after leaving the elf realm.

Eventually twilight arrives and a trio of rafts emerge from the mists on the river. Green-cloaked figures punt the rafts to the shore. The elves greet Baldor and your company warmly as Baldor is well known to them. They seem fascinated by little Belgo (as there are few children among elves these days). Their leader is Gathilas, and he is tall and fair, with long hair held back in a pony tail. He moves with grace both on and off the water. Me makes introductions with each of you and then stops to inspect Pipkin's pony, "A fine animal, we are lucky we brought and extra raft, Baldor had said there would be four horses not five, but fear not little master, we will find room for your steed on the rafts."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: The Edge of the Woodland Realm

Post by Trogdor » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:14 pm

Pipkin is more than happy to talk to Belgo and shares with him all sorts of hobbit games he used to play when he was younger.

Later, when the elf addresses him, the hobbit is genuinely appreciative. "Why thank you, sir," he replies. "That's most kind and generous of you."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:24 pm

Borir appears a bit gruff, but not inhospitable towards the elves. "Well, let's get on with it." He huffs as he begins to help lead the caravan towards the boats.

"I don't trust these rafts. Blagggaahhh. The workmanship looks poor." He says without much inspection of the rafts. "If these rafts sink, I'll be mighty angry. And an angry dwarf isn't a happy one." He looks to the others and waits for them to load onto the rafts.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:25 pm

Aerth looks over at the dwarf and smirks, "I can teach you how to swim if you would like?" Aerth takes a step forward and helps with the securing of the rafts. The man looks over the elves that have come quickly, but says nothing further.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:30 pm

"Why would I want to learn that? Elves and humans can go frolic together in the water, for I'm concerned." The dwarf now stands with his arms crossed over his chest as he looks to Aerth. "If you like, you can swim there. That should lighten the load on these rafts, we might be able to survive the ferring with less weight."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:31 pm

Aerth laughs slightly, giving a quick puff of air, "I suppose it would not be handy if you tipped off into the water. With how heavy you are, you will sink like a rock. I suggest removing your armor before we get underway."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:36 pm

Borir stares at Aerth and then says, "If I tip off into the water, I'll hold you responsible. And I ain't taking off my armor." He leans in a bit closer to Aerth saying, "What if those elves turn on us and try to stab us in the back? I think they'd probably tip me over, since they probably couldn't hurt me, but still... I don't trust them."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:37 pm

Aerth raises his eyebrows, but quickly understands. "I do not believe they will do that, Borir. You have not chopped wood recently, have you?" he says in jest, "I hear they are particularly protective of wood, leaves, and poetry."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:44 pm

Borir throws up his hands, "Wood? I haven't chopped wood since I cut up that so-called steak from the Lucky Shot."