Book 1: Act 1 - Don't Leave the Path

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Re: The Edge of the Woodland Realm

Post by Eilandor » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:46 pm

Wren is busy helping with the transfer of goods to the rafts. During this time he is amused by the back and forth between Aerth and Borir. In one particular instance he gives an audible chuckle when the Elf mentions swimming to the Dwarf.
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:52 pm

"I will make sure they know you are not a lumberjack," Aerth says, "I believe they will not tip you over in that case." He sighs, "I do still recommend removing your armor in case something unforeseen would occur."
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:56 pm

Borir snorts at Aerth, "If something unforeseen occurs, I'd rather have my armor on." The dwarf is stubborn and seems to take pride in being somewhat stubborn.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Loading the Rafts

Post by Vardaen » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:35 pm

Image Belgo can't help but laugh at the dwarf and man speaking. The young boy is all smiles as he interjects, "I like the rafts, its fun to go up the river. Don't worry Mr.Borir if you fall in my father is a good swimmer he can save you."

The two elves along with some others begin to load the goods from the ponies to the rafts. Then its time to load the ponies. The animals are initially wary about getting onto the rafts, but Gathilas whispers in the ponies' ears, and instantly all five of the animals become perfectly calm and happily trot onto the rafts and stand stock-still in the middle. "It is time to go."

Baldor and Belgo get on the lead raft with Gathilas and a few of you, but you spread out a bit to guard the cargo on the middle raft, and the horses on the last one. The elves then push off from the shore with long poles and expertly pilot the rafts against the current of the Forest River.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Re: Loading the Rafts

Post by Eilandor » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:48 pm

Wren boards the middle raft and finds a steady barrel he can sit upon. With his Woodland bow in hand, he peers through the growing dark. The task is to give safe passage and that is what he intends to do.
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:58 pm

Borir huffs at the rafts, but finally makes his way onto one of them. The dwarf stands in the middle of the raft, and watches the elves and horses so they aren't spooked.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:30 pm

Varuthil puts in a hand helping load the rafts, though she is somewhat awkward at it, having spent more of her times in books than at physical labor. Once they are on the rafts and underway, she seems more at ease--she has traveled the river this way before and feels comfortable floating down the river. She says nothing as Borir and Aerdh bicker, only listening with grim amusement.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:57 pm

Aerth climbs aboard a raft, trying to stay close to the dwarf. Although playful, Aerth was serious about Borir taking off his armor. But the dwarf is stubborn, as dwarfs often times are, and continues to wear it even as the water would be a much deadlier adversary for a heavily armor dwarf than any orc attack.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Guest of the Elves

Post by Vardaen » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:32 pm

With the rafts loaded the elves push out into the river. Once departed, the Elves expertly pilot their rafts against the current of the Forest River.

After several days of slow travel, the land on either side of the rafts rises and turns stony and wooded, and the company pass into the shadow of the trees. It is as though the rafts are sailing up a dark tunnel, as the branches interlace overhead into a dark canopy. The company glimpse tall hills in gaps between the trees, until the river widens and the trees grow thinner once again. Here, a bay opens, and huts cling close to a shingly shore. The Elves steer down a stream which flows out of a rocky canyon. The canyon walls grow higher and higher, until the rafts pass a portcullis and suddenly they find themselves in the caves of the Elvenking.

As the rafts come to a stop a elf comes down through the cave to greet you. Baldor waves, "Lindar! How are you old friend." The two greet one another shaking hands as Baldor steps off the raft onto the shingle.
We will be looking at a Set Tolerance here as we progress.

We can chat about this in the OOC how it works.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Re: Guest of the Elves

Post by Shurijo » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:09 am

As soon as the rafts reach the shingle, Borir makes his way off the vessel and onto something more stable and less on the water. The dwarf looks at the cave and seems somewhat interested in where they have landed. "I thought elves lived in trees and waterfalls and such. I did not expect this."

He moves over to get a better inspection of the cave to see if it's a natural cave or created by someone or something.