Book 1: Act 1 - Don't Leave the Path

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: Guest of the Elves

Post by Muskrat » Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:55 am

Varuthil shakes her head at Borir's words. "Not in Mirkwood. Once our people lived above the ground, but when the Shadow came to Greenwood the Great and made it Mirkwood, we needed someplace safe to live, that was easily fortified. So our people moved underground. Perhaps one day the Shadow will be cleansed from the forest and we may live above ground again. But for now, the caverns are our home." She touches the walls of the cave affectionately, glad to be visiting her home, if but for a brief stay.

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:17 pm

Wren gracefully hops off the middle barge onto the shingle. He thanks the Elves that granted them a smooth passage then upon hearing Borir's comment, "Perhaps you should elevate your expectations of our kind just a bit, then maybe you won't be surprised so often."

"Nice to meet you Lindar, my name is Wren."
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:12 pm

Lindar nods and smiles at Wren and then to Varuthil, "Welcome home brothers, the way behind me is open to you." He pats Belgo on the head, the young boy is well known to him. "Belgo, welcome back, I have readied the same room you and your father stayed in last time you were here. You were much shorter then but perhaps you remember it?" The boy is beaming, "I do, oh thank you!" He is a ball of boundless energy.

Lindar then looks over the other Aerth, Borir and Pipkin, "You may stay here in the caves, the Elvenking's Halls are not normally open to strangers, especially of those of Durin's Folk."
See my OOC about Tolerance. You can of course try and talk him into opening the halls to you for a better place to stay, etc.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:24 pm

Aerth looks toward the caves, then back to Lindar. It had been a long while since he had been to the Elvenking's Hall, and not close to similar circumstances. "The caves?" He pauses, "That is not quite hospitable, especially for the hobbit. I would gladly stay in your caves, but I suggest allowing Master Pipkin to have better accommodations."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:37 pm

Pipkin's eyes are wide as saucers. "This is amazing. I didn't come this way when I traveled out to Laketown."

When told that they will be staying in the caves, his expression saddens, though he smiles when Aerth speaks up for him. With a smile to his new friend, he walks up to Lindar and looks imploringly up at the elf. "I've come all the way from the Shire," he says imploringly. "And one hears such tales about the beauty of anything elven. It would be such a treat and an honor to get to see the halls of the Elven King. I should be eternally grateful for that opportunity, if it were at all possible."
I'm not sure if this would be a Courtesy check (I hope so). But Pipkin has Fair-spoken and True-hearted, both of which could apply here. Basically he's genuine about all he's saying too, if that helps too.

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:11 pm

Before Lindar can respond to Aerth and Pipkin, "Lindar, I thank you for your hospitality to our kind and those you are familiar with but I would hope it would extend to the others that I travel with as well. While true I have only known all but Varuthil since the festival in Dale I have come to know Borir, Aerth and Pipkin and feel they are worthy of staying in the Elvenking's Hall as opposed to these caves."
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:00 pm

Courtesy Test #1: Pipkin Ranks 3 - d12+3Dice
7: 5,2,1 = 15 vs TN 14 Success

Fair-Spoke +1 Free Success
True-hearted +1 Free Success
3 Successes

I think those were legit uses for these talents, so I made each one a free success.
Aerth and Wren both speak fairly of Pipkin before the little Hobbit begins to flatter Lindar and his people. The Hobbits words are fair and true, and sincere. Lindar lowers his eyes, "I was going to suggest that some of your company should remain here with the rafts and cargo to guard them, but how can I deny such a fair Hobbit access to the Upper Halls?" He looks at Aerth and then at Borir, still not sure about the dwarf. "You have swayed my heart Master Pipkin, despite the stories I've heard of of the last visit one of your folk made to you lands. Come, you shall not be denied, nor I suppose will any of your company, if Wren and Varuthil with take full responsibility for you."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:32 pm

V, you seem to be including Varuthil in "brothers" and I think you called her "he" once. I'm wondering if you didn't pick up on the fact that Varuthil is a woman.
"I will gladly take responsibility for them," says Varuthil. "I have seen enough of them to be sure that their hearts are true, though they may be unfamiliar with the manners of King Thranduil's court." She gives a significant look at Borir as she says the last.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:56 pm

Aerth bows his head in thanks, but lets the elves do the talking as they seem eager to do. He waits for everything to be readied and will follow along with making a scene.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:26 pm

I know Varuthil is a woman and Wren is a man, but I have to say both of those names sound like the opposite to me. In the Fallen Empires game we had a girl named Wren, and when I see Var i think of Vardaen... a man (a manly man!) and its throwing me for a loop. I apologize in advance for mistakes to come on this..

edit: Brother to Kin
Lindar nods, "Once the rafts are unloaded then we shall head into the Upper Halls. I will warn you all, you most of all Master Dwarf, be on your best behavior while here, King Thanduill is not kind to those that are unappreciative of his hospitality."