Book 1: Act 1 - Don't Leave the Path

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: Guest of the Elves

Post by Trogdor » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:47 pm

"Oh, I assure you I will be as polite as if I were in the home of the Mayor of Michel Delving himself!" Pipkin assures Lindar.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:06 pm

Varuthil allows herself one of her brief, ironic smiles at Pipkin's words. "Very good, Master Brandybuck, but do remember that King Thranduil is far, far older than the most ancient and regal of the nobility of your homeland--and expects to be treated accordingly. And last time a hobbit came through these halls ... well, he caused a good deal of trouble. It might be best if you assured the king you had no such mischief planned." Varuthil hopes Pipkin's rustic manners will be sufficient for Thranduil's court.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:21 pm

Borir listens to Varuthil's words about the elves living the caverns and then snorts at Wren's request for him to elevate his expectations. The dwarf peers around at the caves and the rafts and supplies as the others speak. Once they begin speaking about heading to the Upper Halls, Borir stares at the elves and when they finally approve him to enter their halls, he nods.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:36 pm

Aerth is silently becoming greatly irritated by Lindar. He has always believed anyone that demands your respect is likely not worth respect at all. People are respected because their deeds tell a person they are worthy of it, not because their mouths open and you are told to do so.

The man keeps those thoughts to himself for the moment, simply helping to unload the rafts and hoping he does not have to hear Lindar prattle on for much longer.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The Long Road: The Journey Begins

Post by Vardaen » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:39 pm

For the next two days the company spends time in the upper halls of the elf kingdom. Even with your kind words and vouchers from the elves the company is limited in where it can explore. Still you are treated kindly and brought fine food and wine. The rooms you stay in are graceful and elegant. The beds are soft and at night you can hear the elves singing in the grand halls beyond the limits of your chambers. Varuthil and Wren are of course free to travel all the realm as this is their home after all.

After two days, Lindar and and Baldor come to you and the ponies are loaded once more for travel. The rafts are left behind this time and you are brought by secrete paths out of the caves and some many miles down the Elf-path. This part of the wood is not so oppressive, the path is lined with beeches, and sunlight filters through the trees to dapple everything with green-gold light. This region still preserves the beauty and peace of Greenwood the Great. Lindar warns that the company will soon enter more perilous regions, and he gives them one key piece of advice – don't leave the path! The path is mostly clear of trouble, but the same cannot be said of the woods beyond.

Lindar and the Elves led the company to the point where the Enchanted Stream crosses the Elf-path. They bring you across by boat – the ponies are temporarily relieved of their load – and the Elves warn each of your to not to drink from the stream. Once your feet are firmly set on the path, Lindar bids you all good luck, and vanishes into the shadows of the trees.

The company is now on your own, and you face a long journey. You have taken the time in the elven halls to plan your trip and go over what Baldor has already planned. You are to follow the Elf-path west until you reach the Forest Gate. It is some 160 miles, and it could take to up wards of 24 days or more to cross the whole forest.
Planning the Route
The route is clear – follow the path. However, characters may still make Lore tests to remember the best ways to travel and survive in Mirkwood.

RP it and let me know and I'll make rolls if you want.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: The Long Road: The Journey Begins

Post by Trogdor » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:11 pm

"Thank you for a most wonderful stay, Lindar," Pipkin says with genuine appreciation in his voice. "And while I know that the elf king is far too busy to have time for a few passing travelers, I was hoping you could give him this as a token of my appreciation for his kindness in letting me see the beauty of these halls." The hobbit holds out a ring.

"This ring was my grandfather's," he explains. "It was made by Reginard Proudfoot himself." He pauses, and when he doesn't get a reaction he adds, "the famous jeweler from Bag End." Pipkin smiles. "It's hardly a piece worthy of a king," he adds. "But it didn't seem right to leave your halls without making some effort to express to your king how much I treasure the chance to have visited his halls."

When it comes time to plan the path through the forest, Pipkin is more than happy to offer his own thoughts. After all, he's been by this way before.
Pipkin couldn't leave without a gesture of thanks of some sort. It was the only polite thing to do.

He'll try a Lore Check. And I'll be willing to pay a Hope point if he rolls low.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:16 am

Borir stands with his arms crossed. The dwarf has complained of soft beds and lack of dwarven ale. He stands ready to continue onwards with their journey now that they've spent their time with the elves.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:26 am

As is often the case, Varuthil has felt restless in the halls, like she should be doing something. She shows her new companions around those parts of the halls that they are allowed to see and spends much of the rest of her time burried among books in the library.

One of her brief smiles plays across her face as Pipkin makes his offering. "A generous offering," she says. She bends down to get a look at the ring, attempting to compare this masterwork of hobbit craftsmanship with the work of elves, men and dwarves that she is more used to seeing.

As they plan their course through Mirkwood, Varuthil makes a few warning about where the influence of the Shadow is greatest and they must be most careful.
Lore rolls if appropriate--plus she has the Shadow Lore trait.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:37 pm

Aerth finds the offer far too generous. He believes that the Elven King will probably pitch the ring into a waste bucket. He is happy to be done with Thrandruil's halls and to be on the road again. It had been at least ten years since he had been here last ...
Sure, Lore it up
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:55 pm

Wren is wrapping up his goodbye's when he notices Pipkin's offering. A few short strides later Wren is looking at the ring, "A fine piece of craftsmanship Pipkin." Wren's abilities lie with wood but he appreciates all manner of craft.

Seeing Borir with his arms crossed, "I suppose you were ready to head out several days ago..."

Reviewing the proposed plan Wren racks his mind for any last minute suggestions as they wait for everyone.
Lore roll.
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"