Book 1: Act 1 - Don't Leave the Path

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Re: Settling In at Woodland Hall

Post by TetNak » Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:55 am

Aerth relaxes by the hearth, speaking to the innkeeper and helping to find places for everyone to stay for the winter. Aerth will stay with his 'relatives' which are actually his father's brood, though two generations separated. It is unclear to the others if anyone knows his secret or not, although it would be difficult to hide over time.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:11 am

Borir sits near Aerth and holds a tankard of ale. As the dwarf takes a sip, the frothy head leaves some foam on his beard and mustache. "Ah, ain't as good as home, but it'll do."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:20 am

Pipkin also is enjoying a drink, along with a small snack to tide him over between lunch and afternoon tea. "Say, Varuthil," he says. "What ever became of that axe head the old hermit gave us? Maybe the Woodmen will be able to tell us what it is."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:04 am

Borir states, "We could take it to the local smithy and I could shape it into a new axe. Anyone seen a smith in this town? I might need to adjust my hauberk a bit."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:57 am

Surprisingly, Varuthil seems to have no issues with consuming the ale, despite it being far from elven wine. She has traveled among the Woodmen with her foster father in the past and has learned to adapt to the quirks of men's settlements.

"I believe Aerth has the ax in safe-keeping," she tells Pipkin. "It is a bit of history of his people."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:22 am

"Well, we should find out what it is," Pipkin says, his curiosity getting the better of him. "He didn't seem to recognize it. And it's sat around lost and forgotten for too long now."
I don't want this to just get lost in the shuffle.

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:29 am

Wren makes his way to the barkeep and orders a round of ale for his friends. After the pints are distributed Wren raises his, "To past adventures! And may your minds wander enough to yearn for new adventures!"

After a generous swig of ale Wren seats himself next to Varuthil. "So Varuthil, did you ever hear the legend of the wizard who felled a rather large hideous spider...with a bow?"
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:45 pm

Borir takes another gulp of ale to finish off his mug and then takes the one brought by Wren. Before he takes another sip, he says, "I think you should have that axe head looked at. Someone around here might know a story about it."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:33 pm

Varuthil stares at Wren blankly for a moment, unable to make sense of his words. She wonders if their experience in Mirkwood has left him a little addle-headed still. Not knowing wanting to embarrass Wren any more than he is already embarrassing himself, she turns to the others and says, "Yes, we should present the axe head to one of the people among this settlement who knows their old stories and history well."

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:48 pm

Varuthil's wordless stare says it all. Shaking his head while setting his pint on the table, "Did they ban fun in your part of the forest?"

He then turns his attention to the more serious matter of the axe head.
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"