Book 1: Act 1 - We Left The Path

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Rescuing Baldor

Post by Vardaen » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:32 pm

Varuthil looks down over the far side of the wall, where an acre of forest is filled with dense webbing and she inhales in worry. Turning to Baldor the she-elf draws her knife and pulls Baldor to the top of the wall cutting loose the strands that hold him up. He drops to the wall's top with a umphf that makes Varuthil wince. With quick work she cuts him free and the dazed man, poisoned and confused lays there on the top of the wall. He still has an unsure look in his eye as he looks on Varuthil but the fear of the spiders is greater still.
Varuthil Athletics 3: 10+5t,4,t4, = 23 vs TN 14 Success (Great Success!)

Varuthil Stealth 2: 6+3+6t = 15 vs TN 14 Success
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:27 pm

Aerth frowns, not knowing how a poisoned man is going to get down so easily. "Can we lower him down with the webs?" he asks, raising his voice just enough so that Varuthil can hear him. "I do not like leaving the others behind for so long." It is clear Aerth wants to hurry.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:57 pm

Varuthil frowns for a moment, then calls down as softly as she can, "Yes, that's probably for the best--the webbing seems to be a very strong thread." She turns back to Baldor and says, "Listen carefully to me." She tries to make her tone sound warm to reassure the man, but she's not very good at it. "We've taken the first step in freeing you from the spiders, but we're on top of a wall and I still need to lower you to the ground. I'm not going to close you back up in that nasty cocoon, but I am going to attack some spider's silk to you to lower you down." Assuming Baldor appears to assent to this operation, Varuthil selects some of the longer strands of spider thread, wraps them around Baldor's arms and waist, then moves to carefully begin lowering him to the waiting arms of Wren Aerth. As she does so, she frequently shifts her wait, making the most of her elven dexterity to make up for her lack of strength.
Athletics check. Spend Hope not drop Baldor.

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:53 pm

Wren shoulders his bow and moves into a better position as he waits for Varuthil to lower the cocoon. "I do hope he is alright..." Having said that Wren wonders how the others are faring back at the camp.
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:54 pm

Aerth keeps his bow out, as Wren moves to the base of the wall. Varuthil cuts a few strands of the web and loops them under the arms of Baldor like a slings and starts to lower the man down.

That's trouble. Varuthil has accidentally cut the wrong strand it would seem for she suddenly hears hissing from behind her and the wall. She pauses a moment, Baldor hanging fifteen feet off the ground. The strands of webbing that cling to the wall and race down to the nest below are starting to wiggle, and shake. In the gathering dawn light she can see movement, hairy legs, red baskets of eyeballs, and other signs, the spiders finally are away of you!
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:14 am

Varuthil glances around her in momentary alarm, but says nothing. Instead, she simply turns her full attention back to lowering Baldor the rest of the way. She is not about to abandon him or drop him now if she can help it.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by TetNak » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:18 am

Aerth does not need to tell the she-elf to hurry, that is obvious. The archer, with bow in hand, quickly draws and arrow and fits it against the string. He aims to where the nearest pair of eyes are peeking, ready to release the arrow if he gets a clear shot to do so.
Prepare to shoot

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Wed Dec 04, 2013 12:24 am

Wren struggles with the decision to abandon the catch or draw a bow upon the red eyes. When Varuthil continues to try and lower the cocoon, Wren continues to wait with arms ready.
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Attercop! Attercop! Opening Volley

Post by Vardaen » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:18 pm

Varuthil continues lowering Baldor, who helps as much as he can climbing down the wall doing a good job of it, surprisingly enough. Wren grabs Baldor and rips away the webbing used as a sling to get him to the ground. That leaves Varuthil alone on the top of the wall, she looks over the side, and a half dozen spiders are spotted now in full view. They are scampering up the webbing and heading right for her. The she elf wastes no time and grabs the side of the and practically jumps from the wall, hand and feet only lightly touching the side as she plummets to the ground light as a feather.

Over the rim of the wall, a lone spider, the size of a large dog appear only moments after she exited that position. Baldor looks up, and needs no encouragement, he RUNS back toward Aerth waiting in the trees. The spiders are a threat to you now....
Okay you lower Baldor no problem.

Varuthil Athletics 3 (to get down): Gandalf Rune, + 4t+6t+2 Extraordinary Success. She's on the ground safe and sound.

For what its worth you did amazing on this rescue, the spiders could have been alerted way sooner but the dice were really in your favor.

Now we start combat. I hope you've been reading the other thread, they are in combat there and I've been posting combat rules for it as we go. i don't want to repost all that.

First things first, you all get an opening volley. Turns are a little less restricted here and more cinematic. You all three can get in an opening volley before we look at possible close combat, etc.
Last edited by Vardaen on Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Re: Attercop! Attercop! Opening Volley

Post by TetNak » Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:42 pm

Aerth already has his bow drawn and knocked. He looks around the wall, on top of the wall, anything coming from that direction. The first spider he sees, he shoots immediately. "Stay with us Baldor!" Aerth yells, backing up slightly himself.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name