Book 1: Act 2 - Winter with the Woodmen

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Book 1: Act 2 - Winter with the Woodmen

Post by Vardaen » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:41 pm

The winter in the lands of the woodmen can be a bit confining. Pipkin finds enjoyment in the study of Wuduseld and writing his book, Varuthil and later Wren leave Woodland Hall and travel north once more, the elves will be gone well over a month.

During the winter the snows come, and the woodmen people turn to crafts and arts, they are locked up in their homes by the snow, and the dangers that come with it, but when the spring breaks they enjoy many outdoor pursuits. Two of these events involve the fellowship. The first is Aerth who joins his father's people on the Field of Heroes. It is a small festival of the test of men's skill at arms, and athletics. When the weather improves and spring has come Aerth joins many others and travels south of Woodmen-town near to the place of Rhosgobel where Radagast the Brown Wizard lives.

The Field of Heroes is a flat, stony area in the south of the Vales, near the path that leads to Rhosgobel. The Woodmen rarely fight pitched battles, preferring to hide within the forest and ambush their enemies, but when they must face enemies openly they do so here. Four times in living memory a force of Woodmen has met forces of the Shadow in battle here, and three times they have been victorious. In the summer, the Woodmen practise fighting here, and hold tournaments of arms, foot races, and archery.

Not all the woodmen join in the tests at the Field of Heroes, many more simply return to their work and their lives; hunting is a big part of survival here, and many small hunting parties go out into the eves of Mirkwood. Borir finds he needs to be out of the forge and so joins a small group of men on a hunting trip lead by Amalric a skilled hunter, and his younger brother Evoric joins the group as well.
So we have various times going on and many many locations. See the OOC for the rolls you get you can just RP through your various fellowship undertaking, like Trog and Eil did, a great post showing his actions through out. Some of you have more interaction than others, and those doing things in the winter could join the others in the spring. The Adventure Phase won't start up again until perhaps May or later.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:34 am

Borir retreats to the smith. The dwarf muttered something about his hauberk not resting correctly on his stout frame and has continued to spend many days working to improve it's wear.

One day, the woodmen invite Borir to join them in a hunt. After refusing their initial offer and their second offer, finally they offer him a cask of ale. After finishing the entire cask, the woodmen ask a third time and Borir agrees. The dwarf who's spent most of his years either traveling or at a smith never took to hunting. He constantly complained that it was the waiting and downtime during the hunt that he disliked.
+ Hunting and Awareness from hunting lessons
+ Valor from crafting

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:58 am

Amalric is pleased, "Good Master Borir, I have never hunted with a dwarf before. I hear you are good with an axe, let us test your bow and woodcraft skills." Amalric is nice enough, interested in seeing Borir hunt. His younger brother is the one giving away ales and truly excited to have Borir along. Evoric offers a smile, and the group heads out into the woods to hunt.
Borir - Hunt - Hunting 1: 6 + 3 = 9 + 5 Wits (Hope Point) = 14 Success, Gandalf Rune!!! - Choose any one result except "A Stag" , or roll again.

Feel free to NPC and such even. Go for it.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:01 am

"I could catch up to Varuthil and help Ignomer find his son. Perhaps along the way the woods will help me finish, or start this song!"

He quickly packs his things and says a few goodbyes then heads out. Wren is a full day behind, but confident he can travel faster alone than their group. Tracking them is not that difficult as their are many feet and hoof prints to follow. On his second day of tracking it is getting dark when he spots Varuthil hunched over trying to start a fire. Sneaking up behind her, "Need any help with that?"
Varuthil looks up as Wren arrives. She offers him a brief smile, then says, "No. I seem to have an uncanny knack for starting fires. But it is good to see you. What brings you out here?" A look of alarm passes over her face. "There's nothing wrong back at Woodland Hall is there?"

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:41 pm

"Wrong? No, no there is nothing wrong at Woodland Hall. Well, I can't speak to the last two days as I wasn't there." After a pause to collect his thoughts, "I was intent on writing a song about our journey through Mirkwood. It seems as though this process can't be forced or rushed so I decided to return to the source for inspiration. When I heard you had left to help Ignomer find his son, it seemed the perfect way to kill two thrush with one stone."
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:49 pm

The half-elf distances himself from the most the others. He is at home here, or at least moreso than anywhere else. For weeks no one sees him or knows where he goes. Finally, he emerges and visits with Borir briefly, but goes on his way nearly just as quick. During that time, he goes to compete on the Field of Heroes, with bow and axe, Aerth attempts to distinguish himself.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:06 am

"Wrong? No, no there is nothing wrong at Woodland Hall. Well, I can't speak to the last two days as I wasn't there." After a pause to collect his thoughts, "I was intent on writing a song about our journey through Mirkwood. It seems as though this process can't be forced or rushed so I decided to return to the source for inspiration. When I heard you had left to help Ignomer find his son, it seemed the perfect way to kill two thrush with one stone."
"Ah, good then," says Varuthil, smiling briefly again, then turning her attention back to the fire. She isn't being deliberately unfriendly--she simply doesn't know what else to say. Whether Wren knows her well enough to pick up on that may be another story.

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:43 am

Wren is about to take his leave and introduce himself to the rest of the group, "Oh, how were your first few days of travel? Were you able to learn anything from the Woodmen?"
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:14 am

"Bow? Nobody said anything about using a bow!" Borir gruffs at Amalric, "I'll hunt with my axe. I'd be better at throwing rocks than using a bow."

Eventually, the dwarf joins the brothers in hunting. While Borir knows enough about warfare and tactics, he's not used to hunting for wild game. Orcs and goblins act as expected, but in Borir's eyes wild game is different.

After a few hours of waiting, the group finally spot a fat forest boar. Evoric and Amalric press Borir into using the crudely crafted bow to fire an arrow at the boar which misses the target, but instead of running away like the other fauna they've spotted, the boar charges towards the group.

"Now this is more like it, lads!" Borir boasts as he throws the bow to the side and takes his axe and shield. As the beast rushes towards them, Borir uses his shield to block its charge and then fells it with a single clean blow to it's neck.

"See that. Now that's what I call hunting. I could get used to this." Borir says as he wipes the sweat from his brow.
Choosing
A Mighty Boar: You brought home a fat forest boar, and everyone feasts! Gain 1 Experience point.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:05 am

Wren is about to take his leave and introduce himself to the rest of the group, "Oh, how were your first few days of travel? Were you able to learn anything from the Woodmen?"
Varuthil looks at Ignomer and the other Woodmen and says, "They know Mirkwood well and know how to travel through with as much safety as one can." She pauses, "I suppose I may have learned something from them, but I came to help our hosts." She shrugs, finding Wren's question awkward.