Book 2: Act 1 - Words of the Wise

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: June 22, The Calm Before the War

Post by Muskrat » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:07 pm

Varuthil nods at Radagast's request. "As the Woodmen may have told you, I am skilled healer. I would be happy to take care of the wounded who fall in the battle, as well dealing death to the orcs attacking us."
I rather like how that Battle roll mechanic works. It makes up for the fact that we as players don't really know that much about warfare. (Or at least most of us don't--maybe we have some soldiers/ vets playing this game.)

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Fri Jun 20, 2014 9:30 pm

"I'm not sure what help I'll be in a battle," Pipkin adds. "But I'll do everything that I can."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:39 pm

Aerth may not be the largest fan of King Thranduil and the elves of Mirkwood, but one thing is clear, having their host here gives them a great defense against any coming of orc. Unless the enemy's army is large, Aerth does not think they stand a chance against the combined might of the elves and men of Woodland hall. He leans back against the wall look out from Woodland Hall, his shepherd's bow in his hand. The half-elf waits impatiently for the black shapes to move closer under the darkness of night.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:42 pm

Borir waits for the battle. He's anxious to fight against the orcs and show the host of elves how a dwarf fights.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Attack on Woodland Hall: Outflanked!

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:16 pm

Radagast responds to your questions and worries, "Do not worry, you know your talents, and when the time comes I expect you will put them to use. Men will need supplies, and the more eyes on things the better Master Pipkin, I am sure you will be of help. Do not sell yourself short, I heard of your encounter with the spider spawn last year." He smiles at the Hobbit and then is gone to take his place in the line.

The air is thick, and hot, and everyone is still. Men are worried, women try to contain their fear, and everyone knows that tonight people will die. It is hard to handle, and many just wish it would start already and be over. Those people get their wish.

Some time before midnight the howls of orcs and goblins splits the night air. A great host of orcs charge into the clearings around Woodland Hall and race to the walls that appear undefended. Screaming and howling like mad men the orcs start to climb, and the ambush is sprung. Flaming arrows launch from the walls and into the hay bales all around the town lighting up the night. From the trees elves rain arrows down on the attackers pinning them between the woodmen on the walls and the flames behind them.

You stay in reserve moving inside the wall aiding with supplies of arrows, or helping wounded to escape to the triage centers. The host of King Thranduil helps to even the fight, but the orcs and goblins are legion, there are more among the attacking hordes than you would have thought possible. Men fight and die. Screams, war cries, the clash of arms, and the moan of the injured seems to last forever. The frontal assault appears a stalemate for now.

However as the battle rages on at the main assault point the orcs have outflanked the Woodmen. A small group has managed to kill the guards at the gate and are scaling it one by one. The orcs drop down over the pallisade cutting down the few men there that weren't already killed in the initial archery volley. Just under a dozen orcs are now inside the wall, but as luck would have it you've spotted them! (All of you but Borir, who is focused on the fighting near the front wishing he was there with his axe).

If some one doesn't stop them the Orcs could cause true havok among the Woodmen's rear and flanks...
Awareness Roll Tn 12
Aerth Gandalf Rune+6t,2 Great Success
Borir 4+4=8 Fail
Pipkin 10+1+5=16 Success
Varuthil 7+5+3=15 Success
Wren 7+3+3=13 Success

Time for some Heroics! You can each make a reaction post, include with it, your Battle roll RP. This will be your personal roll to see if you get bonus dice for the fight. After that, I'll roll init and such.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: Attack on Woodland Hall: Outflanked!

Post by Muskrat » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:33 am

Varuthil head snaps around as the orcs land on the ground near the gate. She draws her bow and coldly studies them, drawing on her reading of great battles to mentally dissect their moves and what actions they would be most likely to take in these circumstances.
Let me make sure I have this right: We each get two Battle die from our rolls during the council and now we're rolling for additional Battle die. Or were the Battle die from the council absorbed into the fight already?

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:56 pm

You each have 2 Battle Dice from the Council. This represents the over all tactics and winning strategies of the battle itself.

Now you get another roll for a few more bonus dice each. So even if you have 0 Battle and roll terrible, you get those 2 from the council cause of the tides of battle.
Varuthil head snaps around, she zeroes in on the Orcs counting them one by one as they drop down into the village interior. She mental dissects their moves in a few moments. She delays actually a bit too long perhaps, and one more Orc appears from over the fence.
Varuthil Battle: Sauron Rune FAIL! +1 Orc arrives.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:26 pm

Upon seeing the orcs dropping down over the wall, "Oh no!" Glancing left, then right, Wren takes to the shadows created by a nearby building and the town wall. Strafing along, careful not to be noticed he takes cover behind a straw bale that is not ablaze and readies an arrow. You orcs think you have gained the upper hand, I think not...
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:16 am

Wren watches the Orcs climb over the wall and hurries to put himself behind a few bales of hay that didn't make it over the wall. They provide only minimum protection and the shadows don't hide anyone from the night sighted orcs.
Wren: Battle 2: 3+5+1 = 9 Fail

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:42 pm

Aerth hops up onto the ramparts, hoping to get a good vantage of the orcs coming over. There, he quickly places an arrow onto the string, hoping to shoot down onto the orcs without having any allies imped his view.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name