Book 2: Act 1 - Words of the Wise

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Locked
User avatar
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Posts: 13244
Title: Warden of the North
User Class: Slicer

Re: The Hunt is On

Post by Shurijo » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:51 pm

Borir heads over to the deer to make sure it's dead. The dwarf wouldn't have the creature suffer such great pain, so he ensures it's dead. While he's not a hunter by any means, he does stand smiling with one foot on the chest of the deer and his axe head resting atop the deer.

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 20 Elite
Level 20 Elite
Posts: 9674
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: The Hunt is On

Post by Muskrat » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:09 am

Varuthil watches another arrow go awry and shrugs to herself. She never claimed to be adept at hunting, so she feels no shame or frustration at her poor shots.

User avatar
TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Posts: 46368
Location: Seagard
User Class: Brewmaster

Re: The Hunt is On

Post by TetNak » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:58 pm

Aerth quickly hustles forward, knowing injuring a deer and leaving it to die slowly is very bad protocol. Suffering is nothing the thing should bear. The half-elf leaps over a bush, stops, sets his feet and quickly draws another arrow and fires.
Shoot it! Use Hope
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

User avatar
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Posts: 66181
Location: Miskatonic University
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: The Hunt is On

Post by Vardaen » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:26 pm

Aerth gives chase along with the others, seeing one deer, arrow in its haunches, still dashing through the trees he moves to cut it off rightly guessing it would circle slightly toward the wounded side as it limps along. He finds himself nearly face to face with it, only ten yards between them, and he fires right into the throat of the creature, his arrow pierces the veins there and it screams and topples over.

For a moment there is nothing, just the distance sound of the hounds chasing what is left of the deer that are now so scattered and lost in Mirkwood you know you have no hope of catching them.

Aerth: Chase Wounded Deer
Athletics 3: 3,5,6t,6t = 20 Extraordinary Success
Shoot 2 4,1,5 = 10 + hope (Favored) 7 = 17 Hit for 5 Endurance, DEAD
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

User avatar
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Posts: 13244
Title: Warden of the North
User Class: Slicer

Re: The Hunt is On

Post by Shurijo » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:10 pm

Borir raises his axe up high and cheers Aerth and the others. "Good job! We feast tonight!" The dwarf states as he looks around for the other group of woodsmen.

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 20 Elite
Level 20 Elite
Posts: 9674
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: The Hunt is On

Post by Muskrat » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:27 am

"Yes, well done," she says to Aerth and the others who brought down the deer. "I am afraid I made a poor account of myself, but no matter--we will have plenty of food tonight."

User avatar
Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Posts: 27260
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: The Hunt is On

Post by Trogdor » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:13 pm

Pipkin stands by the first two deer, standing guard against any other creatures of the forest from trying to interfere with them. When he sees Borir appear return with the third deer, he practically cheers. "Well done, Borir. Well done, everyone. Three deer is certainly respectable enough that we won't have to hang our heads in shame at the coming feast." That was a fate that the hobbit had been fearing.

User avatar
Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Posts: 4005
Location: The Ninth World
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Re: The Hunt is On

Post by Eilandor » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:18 pm

Wren smiles at Varuthil as he places a hand on her shoulder, "Indeed we do..."

He moves on to see how he can help with the fallen deer. As the others arrive, congratulations go around and Wren can't wait to try a bit of the days haul.
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

User avatar
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Posts: 66181
Location: Miskatonic University
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Duty Calls

Post by Vardaen » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:35 pm

It takes a few minutes for the deer to be collected and drug to the clearing where Pipkin congratulates the fellowship on a job well done. It is true, this was a great venture, and one to be proud off. Just as Wren places a hand on Varuthil's shoulder and smiles you hear a horn ring out in the distance.

Three short blasts trumpet through the forest a short distance away. They seem hurried blasts, and you can guess they are from Almaric and his half of the hunting party.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

User avatar
Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Posts: 27260
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Re: Duty Calls

Post by Trogdor » Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:38 pm

"Get ready," Pipkin says, picking up his bow. "If they run the stag through this clearing, we might be able to help them."
Would that be acceptable, or would it be an insult to them?

Locked