Book 2: Act 2 - Summer with the Woodmen

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: Book 2: Act 2 - Summer with the Woodmen

Post by Muskrat » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:21 am

"A pity you cannot stay," says Varuthil. "I believe Wren went out hunting with one of the Woodmen. I don't know when he'll be coming back." She looks off in that direction, only to see that he is in fact coming back. "Well, I spoke to hastily," she says to Gwaenor. "It seems he is returning right now." She points the messenger in the direction of Wren.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:39 pm

The elf of Mirkwood says nothing about Aerth frown if he notices it, and only bows to Varuthil. "You have my thanks. Good gardening Varuthil." He takes his leave and strides down the road to meet with Wren.

The elf messenger Gwaenor hails Wren, "Greetings kinsman, I am Gawenor messenger of King Thranduil I come with tiding for you if you are in fact the one known as Wren." This elf is dressed draped in greens and browns with a light silver thread edging his cloak.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:58 pm

"Here's the dirt," Aerth says, his eyes following the elf as he departs. He wonders if his thoughts are what dwarfs often think about elves. Aerth takes up a shovel and scoops out some of the dirt, placing it wherever it is needed as he starts to unload it.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:52 pm

Varuthil stands for a little while, looking at the bow closely, stringing it, pulling at it to see how well it works. She puts an arrow in it and looks for some place to shoot it, then thinks better of it. With all the tension after the battle, it would be unwise to start loosing random arrows. She can test it out some other time, at a proper archery range. For now, she wraps the bow and returns to the gardening, saying only, "It is indeed a fine bow."
I'll post about boosting my Insight skill when the scenes with Gwaenor are resolved. And then once we've all done the skill boost posts, I assume we can go talk to Radagast. Or he can initiate things and come to us.

EDITED in response to PM by V.

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:45 pm

As Wren is walking with Imnachar, "An eagle feather the size of a man! It would be a fine day if I were to ever lay an eye upon one of the great eagles." Looking ahead, he can see Aerth and Varuthil talking with another elf. Varuthil turns and points in his direction, and the elf takes his leave of them. "Hold up a moment, Imnachar." Still half supporting the pole with the spoils of their hunt hanging from it, "Good day, Gwaenor. I am Wren."
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:54 pm

Gwaenor bows, "I am pleased to meet you Wren. I come with a message from King Thranduil for you. He wishes to extend his gratitude for you assistance in the Battle of Woodland Hall and for all you did in the time leading up to the battle. I bare a gift for you." He produces a finely crafted quiver of light leather covered in designs of leaves and trees. Inside is a score of arrows with white fletchings. "May these arrows find their marks for you in any of your hunts, be they against animals or orcs."
No bow like Varuthil, because he knows you already have a mirkwood bow. :) He's wise like that
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:16 pm

When Gwaenor bows, Wren looks at Imnachar and tilts his head as if pointing to the pole on his shoulder. The man understands and they both carefully set their haul on the ground. Wren returns both his focus and a bow to Gwaenor. Wren interrupts, "A message from the King!" The elves facial expression goes from pure excitement to disappointment in his own manners. "Apologies, continue."

As he receives the quiver, "I fancy myself a bit of a craftsmen, mostly with wood, but this...this is exquisite! Please tell the King I am honored to be presented with such a gift and that while I have not spent much time lately in the service of Mirkwood, what I have been undertaking seems to also be of great purpose."
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:11 pm

Gwaenor listens politely, "The King is aware of your good deeds Wren. I shall return to him with your words. Enjoy the gift, it is a true item of craft, rare in these days." He smiles, and looks about, "I can not remain, my task done here among the mannish town, I must away. Good look to you friend, and may you continue your good work."

With that he heads back the way he came and to the gates of Woodland Hall, his task takes him else where and he is gone.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:02 am

Varuthil walks up to Wren and says, "It is nice that His Majesty has recognized us." She fingers the bow she was given. "And these will be fine weapons against the forces of Shadow."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:43 pm

The half-elf has no interest in the going-ons of elves, even his comrades, at least when it is in conjunction with those of Thrandril's brood. He sits down the wheelbarrow and takes up the shovel, beginning to spread around the dirt where he was instructed earlier by Varuthil.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name