Book 2: Act 2 - Summer with the Woodmen

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Book 2: Act 2 - Summer with the Woodmen

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:43 am

"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
nor the arrow for its swiftness,
nor the warrior for his glory.
I love only that which they defend."
August 10th, 2947 The Third Age, Late Summer

It has been two months since the Battle of Woodland Hall and the great feast where first was sung the song "Saviors of Woodland Hall" in your honor. The summer months have been kind to you and to the Woodmen. Hunting has been good with the defeat of the Orcs in southern Mirkwood. Often have the Woodmen invited you on their trips into the forest. The wealth from Baldor's caravan that brought you here has slowly dwindled, but the Woodmen people are kind to you, ever being generous in remembrance for what you've done for them. The fact that Radagast the Brown has spoken highly of your actions those many months ago also still rings in their ears, and so you've lived a comfortable life among the Woodmen.

The roads are open once more and in July you said farewell to Baldor and his son Belgo, the two men return to Lake-town and Dale with another caravan of goods heading in that direction now, with a small guard of young adventurous Woodmen lads eager to see beyond their small towns and hamlets.

Trips north or south are easy enough, and the elves perhaps have ventured to see their kin. Pipkin also not the least has traveled north to the Easterly Inn to refill his pipe weed supply and get news of the Shire. Aerth finds himself able to travel freely to Woodmen Town in the south at his leisure, and perhaps together you may have sought to Rhosgobel where Radagast the Bird-Tamer spends most of his time, but has invited you to visit if you wish.

Summer is full of hope, and peace, and for a few months you are filled with both....
We start the second Fellowship Phase here. We'll run short vignette scenes for everyone. You get to direct the action here, telling me what you do. I will give location descriptions like for the Rhosgobel or Woodman Town, and make die rolls for needed events. We are covering 2 months of time so we don't want to get bogged down with minutia.

You also can start things off by explaining your XP and AP spending, how you improved with that, etc.
Last edited by Vardaen on Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Re: Book 2: Act 2 - Summer with the Woodmen

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:15 pm

A week after the Battle for Woodland Hall...

The elves of Thranduil's company left almost as quickly as they arrived. Thranduil stayed only a day to consult with Radagast, but then pressed on homewards after sending his scouts out after any remnants of the Orcs. Today an elf arrived at the gate of Woodland Hall bearing a message and a package. He found who he was looking for without much guidance or interaction from the the Woodmen, for even after the battle the elves of Mirkwood and the Woodmen are ill at ease with one another. So it is that Varuthil finds herself tending to a small garden of herbs with one of the women of the village, replanting healing herbs that were used up after the battle.

The tall sylvan elf stands there draped in greens and browns with a light silver thread edging his cloak. "You are Varuthil, subject of the Elfking Thranduil, one of the Saviors of Woodland Hall that the songs sing of. I come bearing tidings for you."
Others can freely post either being here, or start up your own threads at various times, explaining how you spent your AP and XP. The Fellowship Phase should really have limited GM interaction, its your chance to post about it, you get to tell the story not me.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:26 pm

Varuthil stands from where she is gardening, brushing the dirt from her skirts. "Yes, I am Varuthil. You are newly arrived here? Welcome. What name should I call you?"

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:51 am

Aerth is slowly walking in the direction of the garden, bringing soft earthen dirt moved from elsewhere. He pushes the wheelbarrow without complaint, simply happy to help the Woodmen who he has a kinship with. His brows furrow as he spots an unknown elf hovering about.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:39 pm

Wren has spent several days finding one of the Woodmen who would tolerate both his company and constant questioning. The Mirkwood Elf is eager to spend some time honing his skills with a bow through the act of hunting. Wren is acutely aware that a large portion of his Elven brethren feel they have little to learn from anyone other than themselves, but he feels differently. He has always had an open mind about such things and often wondered if he was misplaced in life. One particular woodmen, Imnachar, has been friendly to Wren and agrees to take him on some routine hunts. Wren spends the first several jaunts into the woods simply watching the techniques of Imnachar, which are very different from his own. While not working with Imnachar, Wren spends his days helping out where he can or simply finding a nice shaded spot under the canopy of a tree working on so wood carvings, and on occasion even partaking in some of the leaf Pipkin would bring from the Easterly Inn.
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:00 pm

Aerth rumbles up to the garden near Varuthil with a wheelbarrow of dark fertile earth gathered from the banks of a nearby stream as requested to see the two elves in conversation.

The messenger elf bows, "I am Gwaenor, and most pleased to have found you so easily Varuthil. I come with tiding from the King, and to present you with this." He takes from his side the long wrapped package. The wrapping is a simple linen cloth, which he removes to uncover a slender (unstrung) bow of the woodland realm. The bow lays along side a fine leather quiver filled with a score of black fletched arrows. "This is a bow of the Woodland Realm, like those used among the honor guards of our people, and the great captains of our hunters. King Thranduil wished to present those of his kingdom with a sign of his gratitude for your work in the battle of Woodland Hall. A gift it is to you Varuthil, take it and may it ever bend to your hand, and may its arrows fly true. The poets sings that while it is bent in righteous battle it shall never break and its sting will never snap. How true this is I can not say, but King Thranduil himself has blessed this bow for you. A might gift indeed." He hands it over to Varuthil.

Wren and Imnachar as not far away, strolling back from the woods with a pole between them. The Elf and Woodman have just returned from a hunt, and three wild turkey hang from the pole, their prize from the hunt. Turning a corner Imnachar is chatting with Wren, telling about his brother who once while on a hunt near the Anduin river found an eagle feather the size of a man, "One of the great eagles dropped it no doubt! Never seen one myself, but I hear they are a wonder." The pair aren't far, nor are their too close, but they can espy from their place Varuthil and Aerth speaking to an unknown elf.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:55 am

Varuthil takes the bow from Gwaenor and it looks it over carefully. Then she turns back to the messenger and says, "Thank you for bearing this fine gift to me. And you may tell His Majesty that I am deeply honored by this gift." It is clear that she is, since her voice has lost some of its usual icy quality and is marked by surprise. "You must have come far," she continues, her voice now returning to her usual cold politeness. "Will you stay here and rest a while before returning to our king's halls?"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:47 pm

Gwaenor shakes his head sadly, "No, sadly I can not stay. I have messages for others that must be delivered. I seek now one known as Wren, and then am off to speak to Radagast the Brown Wizard." He folds his hands together, "Might you know where Wren is? You are one of his companions are you not?"

For much of the summer months Borir can be found at the local forge. He works with the Woodmen Smiths to help teach them dwarf craft and he aid them in the making of tools and weapons, armor and shields as well as what need they might have of them. It is honest work and he enjoys it. Twice he goes with Thorismund on a few hunts. Thorismund survived his wounds from the first of the orc attacks, but Amalric's brother Evoric eventually gave into his wounds a few weeks later, infected, and delirious despite all the help that Varuthil gave him on the field that fateful day on the hunting trip. Amalric has grown grim after his little brother's death, and he takes no pleasure in hunting in the woods save if it for orcs or goblins. Borir has tried to take him out a few times but has given up and only goes out with Thorismund and others.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:51 pm

Having been previously cooped up studying carvings for several months during the winter, Pipkin uses the summer months to explore the great outdoors. He joins the Woodmen in trips through edges of Mirkwood, and goes on several more hunts. He's already as quiet as can be when moving through the forest. But from the Woodmen he learns how to be more aware of his surroundings and to notice what the forest shows him. In between hunts and other sojourns into the forest, Pipkin can be found practicing with his bow. He's none too pleased with his performance against the orcs, and wishes to improve his aim.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:54 pm

Aerth sits the cart of fresh dirt down next to the garden and peers over at the newcomer elf. He's frowning already, but then looks to the bow and gives a silent nod of respect for the craftsmanship as far as he can tell. He says nothing, waiting for the figure to leave them to the garden and apparently go bother Wren.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name