Book 3: Act 1 - Of Leaves and Stewed Hobbit

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Re: Radagast the Gardener

Post by TetNak » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:53 pm

It was clear these men probably did not know much of what was occurring. Aerth sighed, not knowing what Radagast would do with them. They should go to a jail cell, Aerth thought, but wondered if Radagast had a better idea, he was wise after all. He remains silent, preferring to listen than speak in such situations.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:58 pm

Varuthil asks her questions and for the moment Radagast just listens, likely he knows some of this already through his network of contacts.

"What's it matter to you elves? You hide in your northern lands, free of trouble and danger, we do what we need to to survive. He's one of us, that's all I care about."

The other man nods, "Keeps my wife and child safe with his leadership, it is enough. Who are you ask me these things anyhow? Some lofty left, thinks they know what's good for Woodmen! Bah."

At that both men clam up, they offer little more insight into the nature of the Lord of Tyrant Hill. Radagast has them taken away for now, "I shall speak to them further and see what else I can learn." He motions for you to join him, as he collects his garden tools and strides out of the little patch of woods and moves to his garden where all manner of herbs grow and flourish. "You have returned to me with many ill tiding, orcs to the south, aggressive woodmen, the near death of one of my friends. I hope you have come here with more than just those things. Did you find Gandalf? Have you other news of the northern vale?"
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:29 pm

Borir walks alongside the others as they approach the small patch of woods. "Gandalf wasn't to be found." The dwarf responds when the question is asked.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:16 am

Varuthil shakes her head. "That's why we returned here. We wanted to bring you word that Gandalf hadn't been about. But large numbers of goblins are active in the Misty Mountains. A group that was supposed to return to the Easterly Inn was long overdue, so we went into the mountains seeking them as a favor to the inn-keeper--and we found Finn here and his companions fighting for their lives." Her expression turns dark. "We helped save some of them, but not all." She clearly begrudges every death at the hands of the Enemy's forces. She looks back at the prisoners. "I hope they are not connected with whatever evil is afoot in Mirkwood."

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:12 pm

Wren walks in concert with the others, still focusing more on his surroundings than that of the matter at hand. Nothing changes for him when they reach the garden. Varuthil continues to unravel the events that led them back here as Wren is busy investigating some of the herbs. With gentle care, he turns several leaves over with his hands, searching his mind as to what some of them may be. Nodding to himself with approval as he identifies some of the plants he stops suddenly, fearing eyes are on him. He stands properly and refocuses on the conversation, even then only partially as he wonders if anybody realized he wasn't paying attention.
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:15 pm

Radagast pauses in his work, having started to dig a small hole in the garden, "This is ill tidings. Do you not have any good news Varuthil?" He returns to digging, it helps him think and then kneels in the dirt and puts a few seeds into the ground before covering them back up and adding water from a watering can. "You know the north now, continue to bring me news of it, be my eyes and ears there. Do good work for the people of Wilderland, and we shall weather any storm of goblins or orcs. We must work together with the people of this land if we are hold back the shadow. Times are good, but I fear they will grown dark once more if we let down our vigilance." He looks about the group, his eyes on Aerth for a long while, "We all have many choices to make in this life." He stands and dusts his hands and knees off. "For now we should choose what to have for dinner. Care to join me?"
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:51 pm

"Gladly," says Varuthil to Radagast's offer of dinner. When they are out of earshot of the prisoners, she says, "I'm wondering if it might not be useful for to go as a delegation to visit Tyrant's Hill. We can say we are there to clear up whatever misunderstanding there was around Beren. We might be able to find out where Mogdred's true allegiances lie--to the Woodmen of Tyrant's Hill, no one but himself--or the Enemy. If he is not in league with the Enemy, it would be good work something out so he does not come into conflict with other members of the Free Peoples again. He does not sound like the type to form an alliance, but at least we can try to arrange it so that we do not step on each others' toes."

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:06 pm

"Oh yes," Pipkin says to the offer of dinner. "We hurried to get here and missed afternoon tea!" He doesn't mention that when traveling they routinely missed afternoon tea.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:51 pm

The half-elf nods to dinner, he is hungry, though not as expressive as Pipkin. "That might be a good idea," he agrees with Varuthil. "Certainly we can only find out the truth of all this with our own eyes, I doubt the mean we captured even know the truth of the matter. They do not seem shrewd enough for lies that would fool you, Radagast. We are returning to the inn besides, so it will be on our way."
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

A Night in Rhosgobel

Post by Vardaen » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:33 pm

You join Radagast for dinner then in Rhosgobel, and during this time he asks you many questions about your recent ventures, and you share you news with him -- willingly, and often at times you realize you are going on and on about things you might not normally care to share; and you can't be certain how you started rambling.

The meal is excellent, corned beef from the herds of the vale, fresh cabbage and carrots and potatoes with a spice mixed from the herbs of the Brown Wizard's garden. He has honey mead to drink, or water so cool and clear that it reinvigorates your very spirit to drink it. During dinner he lays out a map of the regions and points out Tyrant Hill, its far to the south, and deep in Mirkwood, certainly no place along your route back to the Easterly Inn. He makes comments that he will have his eyes and ears explore it and see what he can find out about it and not to worry youselves yet. He needs you in the north, and approves of you returning to the Inn. "Such a place lives on the edge of a knife, without folk like you there it will not survive long, even with Beorns protection pledged to it."

At some point during dinner he mentions having rooms made up for you in a local house for you to stay at. He takes you outside and you find he night has arrived, the sky clear and bright, and he offers a pipe to those that would have one. Sitting on a wooden log around a small campfire that just happens to be burning in the village you smoke and speak with the man. At some point during dinner Finn woke and joined you, and is with you around the fire. So too are several hounds -- you can't be certain but they sure look like the hounds of the Woodmen that you were fighting. Now however the large shaggy beasts are docile and linger near the fire scratching or wagging their tales in the presence of Radagast.

The night rolls on and one by one you eventually head to bed, your bellies and your spirits full, and all your worry seems to leave you, at least for tonight. When morning arrives you find the Wizard has gone, but he's left word to resupply you for your travels north among the Woodmen who live here.
Tyrant's Hill is where this Mogdred is said to live and his people are from.
Orcs are said to be in Fenbridge Castle according to the note of Beren.