Book 3: Act 1 - Of Leaves and Stewed Hobbit

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Re: A Night in Rhosgobel

Post by TetNak » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:44 pm

Aerth eyes the hound wearily, but shrugs and pets one as he smokes his pipe. The dogs were not at fault he knew, just as a sword did not control its own destiny. He remembers his father's family, now two generations past, had a kennel and bred similar dogs. He tears his throats from it, instead thinking of the route back north, and attempting to plan where an attack from Dagmar might come.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:17 pm

Finn sat quietly at the fire, taking in Radagast's home and the night sky over the eaves of Mirkwood. He surely believed there was more to this old man than the stories that dismissed him as nothing more.

The next morning, Finn woke feeling very rested, though not fully recovered. That might take another week or more.

After he is up, he looks for Borir. "So I have heard you have a forge with the Woodmen. Quite unusual...though I'm sure it is handy. We probably must make for the Inn sooner rather than later, but if we have time I'd like you to take a look at my shield some time. It was not the best we own - that belongs to my father. At the time of my departure from Esgaroth I thought it would do. Now I think it is a bit too unwieldy."
How much End. do we recover, and how much Fatigue do we lose here? I can't remember about End, but I think in a safe place we lose 1 Fatigue gained from travel.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:11 am

Varuthil finds her night at the wizard's place intriguing. The whole thing was slightly unreal. To have spent so much time with one of the Wise was a great honor. She wasn't quite sure what to make of the experience, but she would mentally chew on it for some time to come.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:20 pm

Borir's awake and refreshing himself with another mug of mead. "One for the road," he'll say if questioned. The dwarf has his gear ready to depart.

When Finn speaks of a forge, the dwarf nods saying, "Aye. Just had one season at it, but me got all the proper smithing tools."

The dwarf then looks at the shield taking it from Finn. He bangs on the shield with his fist and then holds it up to the light to look at its edges and frame. "Aye, the metal is all wrong. I can lessen the weight and keep it just as sturdy. That is as long as the woodmen hasn't turned me'smith into an inn when we get back."

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:41 pm

"Ha, that's what I thought. It didn't block that scoundrel's blade as it should have! Well, I would greatly appreciate it," says Finn.

Finn turns to find Tom, to make sure they are ready for the road, ... and that no extra gear not belonging to them has made it into their packs.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:52 pm

A night in Rhosgobel under Radagast's care removes all Fatigue and heals all Endurance. Weariness is also removed.
Finn finds himself greatly healed and feeling worlds better, he and Borir speak of shields and forges, and with Tom joining them they are ready to set out. Varuthil finds her way to them as well and the others too.
Last chance before we head back, haven't heard from Wren in a long while?
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:05 pm

Borir glances around and finishes his last mug. Sitting it down on a bench, the dwarf wipes the foam from his beard and prepares to depart the village.

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:38 pm

Wren is the last to arrive, but for what he thinks is a good reason. He had spent the night whittling. This particular piece he had been working on since they left the Woodmen some time ago. It has long been a goal of his to have Varuthil ease up on her demeanor, even when surrounded by the dire nature of their tasks. "Morning Varuthil, I, I made this for you." He holds up a small but finely crafted depiction of herself in a fighting stance, blade and all, hanging from a necklace of thin leather.
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:04 pm

Varuthil uses her bow more often than her sword.
Wren succeeds in changing the look on Varuthil's face from cold determination to one of bafflement. She takes the offering and says, "Ah, thanks." She clearly doesn't know what to make of this gift, but she politely hangs it around her neck. After a moment, she collects her wits and says, "That's very kind. I wouldn't want it to get broken. I'll make sure it stays safe," with which words, she tucks it inside her shirt where no one can see it. She's actually a bit worried that people will see her as arrogant if she walked around with a statuette of herself hanging from her neck, otherwise she would have left it out in the open.

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:31 pm

I am aware she uses a bow more often than not.
Wren begins to walk away and can't help but think to himself that went better than he thought it might. Stopping suddenly, "You may wish to know, or not, why I fashioned your likeness wielding a blade rather than a bow. I just couldn't seem to get the bow carving right without it being too fragile. At any rate I suppose we should get ready to head out."
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"