Book 3: Act 1 - Of Leaves and Stewed Hobbit

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Easterly Inn, Second Breakfast

Post by Vardaen » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:38 pm

Dody makes sure Aerth has food as well, but then puts on a sad face to Pipkin. "We don't serve early lunch any more." He looks depressed at the comment, "I know, its a scandal! It can't be helped however you see supplies are running low so I had to cut something. Most folks around here don't bother with that any how, I know I know a shame." He rubs his face, worry hidden under his smiles. "So what bring you to my Inn, well my inn in the sense I'm running it but did you know that my business partner and chief investor is none other than the infamous Bilbo Baggins? Yes sir, surely is!" In this he looks proud and shameless name drops.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:01 pm

"Shame about early lunch," Pipkin replies. "But at least I've gotten used to missing it. On the road we barely have time for three meals a day. Can you imagine that? I don't know why I'm not skin and bones by now."

When Dody makes his comment about Bilbo, Pipkin shows some interest. "Really? I know he came out here on an adventure some years back. The stories were all over the Shire. And rumor is that he came back with more wealth than a hobbit could spend in ten lifetimes. I'd love to meet him some day. It was actually the stories about his adventure out here that convinced me I needed to come out myself, and bother to my reputation." He smiles. "I'm afraid Brandybuck though I am, I do have a little Tookish blood in me."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:23 pm

"Exactly my reason for coming out here too!" He gets more comfortable in his chair forgetting about the others for the moment. "I was lucky enough to be able to sit and listen to many of Bilbo's tales after he came back from out here. Oh a delight! A delight! One then led to another, and eventually I packed up the family and moved out here. The eastern most outpost of the Shire I like to think of it. Oh course none of it would have been possible if not for Bilbo's letters." He leans back in his chair getting comfortable. "Bilbo wrote me several letters of introduction. Personal letters to some vary powerful and important peoples. Lord Elrond in Rivendell, Beorn, and even the King of the Eagles in the mountains!" He nods knowingly, "Without those letters it sure would have been harder to make it out this way for me and mine, but good old Bilbo made it happen. I still have a few left, but I don't plan to travel east much more, so not sure if I'll ever met some of the folk. But its not east my attention lingers but west, and that's where my worry is."

Agatha, his wife comes out with a second round of drinks, and plates for those still needing a bit more to eat. She clears the tables, and you can hear the noise of the hobbit children and the dog in the back causing some bit of a ruckus.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:38 pm

"Oh yes," Pipkin says to Agatha with a smile. "Another helping of eggs would be wonderful. Thank you so very much." He also takes the last piece of toast from a plate on the table and starts spreading some huckleberry jam on it.

"West, you say? What troubles you to the west?"

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:04 pm

Aerth takes a bite of the apple and cannot help but wonder what would happen to this place if orcs descended upon it. He frowns at the thought, "You should hire a guard," he states bluntly, "I think that would be wise."
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:42 pm

Dody points at Aerth and winks, "Don't you know that Beorn himself has pledged to protect us here. That I think will keep most trouble at bay. Have you met the man, he's a mountain." Then he frowns, "Speaking of mountains and the west that is where my trouble lies yes Pipkin. You see my brother Dindy went West earlier in the year, and was supposed to return by late summer with supplies from the Shire and Bree. Dindy sent word some months ago, saying that he had arrived and was gathering supplies for the long journey east. Since then, however, I have heard nothing of my brother." He puts his mug down unable to drink, "Now all this talk of orcs being about. I worry for him. Perhaps, perhaps if you are travelling west, you might look for signs of my brother. Sure would set my mind at ease."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:30 pm

Borir drinks some ale from his mug as he listens to their stories. When the name of Bilbo is mentioned, he raises his mug in toast saying, "To Thorin and Company!" Afterwards, the dwarf finishes what remained in his mug.

When Dody brings up talk about her brother being missing. The dwarf looks to the others and says, "I would love a trip to the west and visit the Shire. I'd buy Mr. Baggins all the ale he could swim in."

Looking to Pipkin, he says, "Don't forget about the wizard's letters."
my lack of posting for a few weeks caused me to forget some things, but I think our goal was to deliver some letters here written by Radagast, if not just ignore that last line.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:49 pm

"I'd certainly be willing to go looking for your brother," says Varuthil, despite the fact that she fears it will be a lost cause--she is still willing to challenge the Shadow. "But, yes, Borir is quite right. We have some important business we've come here to take care of. Has a man named Gandalf been through here? Elderly, but still hale, dresses all in gray?" Varuthil knows little enough about the Shire and the full story of Bilbo's travels that she is unaware that Gandalf is well known in the Shire and a close friend of Bilbo's.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:19 pm

Dody's face lights up when Borir and Varuthil both confirm they would be willing to look for Dindy. "I would reward you off course if you did! Oh thank you!" He claps his hands a few times, and shouts back "Agatha, they said they'd go look for Dindy!"

His wife calls back, "What a relief dear." Then she shouts at one of the kids to stop hitting the other with the rolling pin, "That's for pies!", is how she ends it.

Dody returns to the present, positively glowing to know the 'Saviours of Woodland Hall' are going to go save his brother from whatever trouble he's landed in. "Gandalf? I know of him, the wandering wizard, I even have a letter of introduction from Bilbo to give to him. Afraid however I haven't seen him, hasn't come through here, not since I set up, but I've heard tell from other folks he doesn't stay in once place for long and he likes good red wine so I'm sure he'll come through here sooner or later."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:15 am

Borir hefts up his mug, "I don't do this for rewards, but another round of ale would surely hit the spot!"