Book 3: Act 1 - Of Leaves and Stewed Hobbit

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Re: Easterly Inn, Second Breakfast

Post by Eilandor » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:23 pm

Wren gives Agatha a polite wave, "No more food for me, but if you could top off my drink that would be nice." He hands her his empty plate and returns to Dody's tale regarding his brother Dindy. When the conversation turn to the whereabouts of Gandalf, Wren states in a thoughtful tone, "Sooner or later? How long should we linger?"
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:45 pm

Dody waves for his wife to top off the mugs of those offered to save his brother from whatever trouble he might have gotten himself into crossing the mountains from here to the Shire. "Linger? Well I've been open for months now and haven't seen Bilbo's friend yet, so I hope you don't plan to linger till he might stop by before going off to search for my brother Dindy."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:58 pm

Wren looks at Dody who is clearly not enamored with the idea of just waiting around. "I understand, but we were tasked with this meeting prior to yours and I was simply inquiring to my companions what we should do." Wren does not mean to be cross with Dody, but the prioritizing of tasks is a harsh reality that results in difficult decisions.
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:00 pm

"Do we have any clue where Gandalf might be?" Pipkin asks. "For my part, I know he can sometimes be found to the west, in the Shire, even. Why his fireworks are always the talk of the Shire. I managed to see them twice and they were a cracking good show."

"So might we look at least as far west as Bree for Gandalf? If he goes to and from the west to the Shire, he must frequent Bree. It's the obvious stop in between the two."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:29 pm

Dody listens, "Well I don'y think Dindy is going be that far west. When his letter reached me he was about to leave the Shire and come east again. I worry that he ran afoul of orcs, like you said are about, perhaps in the High Pass, or else where in the mountains. If you had to go all the way to Bree I would be very surprised indeed." He thinks a moment, "If you like you could leave word with me, and if Gandalf does come through I can let him know you were looking for him or perhaps give him a letter from you if you like."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:55 pm

Borir sets down his mug and then says, "I believe it's easier for a wizard to find us than it'll ever be for us to find him. He'll know we were here and we're looking for Dindy."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:24 pm

Varuthil says, "Well, the person who gave us this letter,"--she is careful to avoid mentioning it was Radagast in front of Dody--"seemed sure that Gandalf would pass through here sooner or later. And, while we ideally we would hand it directly over to Mithrandir, he did give us permission to leave it in the safekeeping of the inn-keeper if necessary." She looks at Dody as she says this. She pauses a moment to think, "And the one who sent us would surely not want to stop us from mounting a rescue party. We've only just arrived. What if we passed a day or two here to recuperate and restock our provisions, then set out looking for Dindy, leaving the letter in the care of Master Dody here?"

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Post by Trogdor » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:38 am

That certainly sounds agreeable to me," Pipkin replies, savoring the thought of having the opportunity to enjoy more of Agatha's fine cooking, as well as a proper hobbit-sized bed.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

August 23th, Breakfast, Easterly Inn

Post by Vardaen » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:59 pm

Dody nods, "A day or two, yes that would be a good idea. Not much longer, fall is on us, and the Passes get snowed in early. Now about these letters. If you like I can put them in my strong box and if Gandalf comes through I'll be sure to give it to him."

You spend the next day and a half at the Easterly Inn getting to know Dody and Agatha and their two kids Dando and Rodry. While you are here resting and eating 'like a proper Hobbit should' you run into a dwarf tinker-smith who has been traveling the roads between the Misty Mountains and the Iron Hills for years. Turns out the dwarf helped build the inn, and has signed on as their carpenter/blacksmith/farrier/assistant bartender/woodcutter and general axeman in residence. Frier is fond of the Hobbits and fonder still of the money they pay him. After many years of wandering, the Easterly Inn is a good place for him to rest his feet. Knowing one of the Khazad is about puts Borir's mind a bit more at ease as well.

Dody has you stocked up and supplied, and the beds have really given you a solid rest that you need. Its all very comfortable making it a bit hard to leave, but the Hobbits urge you to not delay, and since there has been no sign of Mithrandir, or hint that he might come by soon you have no reason to linger.

You are 'filling up the corners' of breakfast on the 25th of August and its time to think about heading out.

You learn the following either from interacting over the time with them or from Dody's constant conversations.

Dody Brandybuck: The owner and bartender of the inn, Dody is exceptionally gregarious and friendly, even for a Hobbit. He could talk the hind legs off any creature in Middle-earth; if Dody had ended up in Gollum's cave instead of Bilbo, then he would have lost the Riddle-Game, but the Dwarves would have found Dody by following the noise of a drunken Gollum singing about fish. He is everybody's best friend.

Dindy Brandybuck: Dody's younger and more nervous brother. Unlike his garrulous sibling, Dindy never wanted
to travel in the Wild. He always dreamed of opening an inn, but assumed it would be in Buckland or maybe the Eastfarthing, not over the edge of the Wild. Still, if things keep going smoothly, then the Easterly Inn could make the fortune of both Brandybuck brothers, and he could move back to the Shire in a few years with chests of silver and gold, just like Bilbo Baggins.

Last spring, Dindy returned to the Shire to obtain vitally needed supplies, such as handkerchiefs, umbrellas, spiceracks, silverware, barrel-spigots, feather-bolsters and round doors, as well as trade goods like pipe-weed and Shire-beer (which, to be honest, could also be counted as ‘vitally needed supplies').

Agatha Brandybuck: Dody's wife, a quiet woman of Tookish blood. She is much more sensible and hardworking than Dody; she lets him keep the customers entertained while she organises the rest of the business. For example, she buys supplies off the Woodmen and the Beornings – and even, rarely, the Elves – and sees to the security of the inn. Underneath her businesslike, bustling demeanour, she's absolutely enchanted to be out here in the Wild meeting all sorts of strange folk.

Her two sons Dando and Rodry both run wild around the inn and the surrounding countryside. She intends to send them to foster with relatives in the Shire in a few years.

Frier: Frier is a Dwarf tinker-smith who has travelled the roads between the Misty Mountains and the Iron Hills for years. He helped build the inn, and has signed on as their carpenter/blacksmith/farrier/assistant bartender/woodcutter and general axeman in residence. Frier is fond of the Hobbits and fonder still of the money they pay him. After many years of wandering, the Easterly Inn is a good place for him to rest his feet.

Shadrach: A stray dog that was ‘adopted' by the Hobbits – or, more accurately, that adopted them.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin

Re: August 23th, Breakfast, Easterly Inn

Post by Trogdor » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:00 pm

Pipkin is in heaven for the next couple of days. Not that he regrets his decision to leave the Shire to come out east to explore the wide world. But it was nice to have some homey pleasures once in a while. Days find him sitting on the front porch of the inn, simply enjoying doing nothing. Evenings find him sitting with Dody - at the bar or on the porch, as business requires - chatting away and blowing smoke ring after smoke ring from his pipe.

By the second day, he even offers to cook a meal for his hosts. It would be such a pleasure, he explains, to be able to cook in a proper kitchen for a change, that it would actually be a treat. And without a proper oven, he hadn't been able to use any of his cake recipes for ages. Besides, he argues to Dody and Agatha, don't they deserve a rest every once in a while too?

By the morning of the third day, however, he knows that his time of idleness is over. There was a job to do, and if Dindy really was in trouble, and not lost or something, then he needed them to leave today. "Well friends," he says to the others. "Shall we pack up and head west after this fine breakfast?"