Book 4: Act 1 - Kinstrife & Dark Tidings

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Re: Book 4: Act 1 - Kinstrife & Dark Tidings

Post by Eilandor » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:37 pm

Wren nearly chokes on his sweet roll when Dody slams the door. Stopping his sweep of the floor he listens to what he has to say. Looking at the others, "I guess we are never that far away from adventure. So what do you think, by land or by boat?"
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:38 pm

From under a table, those sweeping the common room begin to hear coughs and moans. A moment later, Borir raises from underneath. He brushes off the dirt and dust swept towards him from the other direction as he eyes those with brooms.

"Could'a waited 'till I moved. I was... just making sure the table and chairs aren't broken." The dwarf says as he leans on one of the chairs to test it's strength.

Eilandor
Level 15 Elite
Level 15 Elite
Title: Aeon Priest
User Class: Explorer

Post by Eilandor » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:39 pm

Wren smiles, "Oh Borir, I will have to remember to look down next time..."
Number Two: "You are number six."
Number Six: "I am not a number, I am a free man!"
Number Two: "Muh ha ha ha ha!"

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:39 pm

Finn chuckles at seeing Borir lean so heavily on the chair. "You did quite well Borir. By the end of the night you were so convincing in your imitation of an Elf . . . unless that was you, Wren?"

"Anyway, of course we will go by boat. I have longed to be out on the water again, and if we have a lot of provisions, it will be far easier to make our way back upstream with them than by road." Finn smiles at the thought of being on the water again.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:50 pm

Borir holds up his hand at the mention of boat and water. "Wait.. Wait.." He says as he looks to his business partner. "Where are we going and why are we using boats?"

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:58 pm

"Well, my thought was to go to Laketown for supply. But seeing as Dody seems to have made up his mind (and I'm not interested in bringing that up again!), heading south through the Vales to Beorn's stead is where we can get mead, honeycakes, honey, and cream. That certainly doesn't take care of all the supplies, but it is a start.

Do you need a day of rest before getting out onto a wobbly boat?" Finn winks, "Somehow, I don't think that will help you. Don't worry, on the way back, you can help tow the cargo with a rope on shore!"

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:22 pm

"I already have a list of things we need from the Beornings," Pipkin says. And I'm sure that Dody and Agatha do as well. It's good that we'll be taking a boat. I'm not sure we could carry it all for ourselves, even with a few mules or ponies."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:01 pm

Agatha nods to Pipkin, "Yes I have a list as well."

Dody agrees, "The boat will help, the river is flush with spring rains, so no danger of running aground even on the shallows of the river's edge. Be careful however, I don't want to hear one of you drowned trying to go barrel riding or some such nonsense. However you won't likely will have to go past Beorn's stead itself to the small communities of the Beorning people. Beorn himself doesn't like much to trade, and likes less to trade with dwarves, but his people south of there have pastures and farms and plenty of desire to trade. Finn you and I will figure out the coinage best to use for this and fare prices." He laughs again at Borir under the table, "Worry not it will take a few days to get things in order before you set out, long enough to recover master Borir."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:37 pm

The children have grown tired, so Varuthil ushers them indoors. As she does so, she catches the tail end of the conversation. "Another journey is it?" Her eyes sparkle with excitement at the idea, even if her voice does not convey the same. To her, it is another opportunity to see more of the world and learn about it.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin

Post by Shurijo » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:18 pm

Borir looks shocked at Dody's statement that he needs time to recover. He guffaws at the notion. Then he turns and says, "I'll be in the smith. Need to get that in order before we leave."