Book 4: Act 1 - Kinstrife & Dark Tidings

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Re: Book 4: Act 1 - Kinstrife & Dark Tidings

Post by Vardaen » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:46 pm

It seems the group is on board with a little venture into the Beorning lands. You've lived this close for months but the winter has really prevented you from much travel there. Now with a purpose you ready yourselves. A good sized row boat is available, it can hold four of you easily, maybe a few more, but once loaded with barrels and supplies it won't be able to. Finn suggests using your ponies and mule to tie ropes to the boat, then the animals can walk the banks and pull the boat along. He's done it in Lake-town and assures you he can handle the boat if someone can handle the animal. The logistics are worked out and the group makes ready for the trip throughout the rest of the day.

So that when the new day arrives you are packed up and prepared for the venture down the Anduin into the Beorning lands.

April 10th.

Finn is outside putting the finishing touches on the boat, with the help of folks loading empty barrels and dealing with supplies to be ferried up and down the river. Dody is directing traffic, while Dindy looks on from the Inn's back door.
We'll set off on Monday
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:47 pm

With all the work to be done, Finn had been keeping Tom Lumpyface busy. The day before they were to depart, the Lakeman started noticing the young man's vigor beginning to fray.

"Tom, you have been quite busy these last few days. I still want you to accompany us, but let's see how you do as my page."

Tom looks a bit quizzically at his employer, raising an eyebrow. "A page, master? Have I not done my job well?"

"Of course you have lad. But I think we ought to see how you can help me with trade. We have only so much coin and we must make it stretch as far as possible."

Tom seems even more nervous at this prospect. "Sir, I mean Finn, I don't have any experience with trade. I mean back in Bree I traded with friends, you know, various baubles or bits of glass or pretty rocks for a leg of mutton or some other treat."

Finn laughs, "Ha, no, no. You will not do any trading. You will keep my clothes and gear clean and organized. You will ask around the villages and find us the farmers and merchants with the best prices. You will watch over our supplies on the trip back. You have to carry your own things of course, but none of mine. "

"Oh! I can certainly do that. Thank you master Finn, I appreciate it." Tom runs back to the Inn for more supplies.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:24 am

As the others prepare for the trip to the Beorning's land, Varuthil stands still, trying to listen to the birds and the wind. Finally, she calls to them and says, "What can you tell me of the lands down river where we will be traveling? Are there any great dangers or strife we should know of?" She knows the winds and the birds might not be able to give them precise information, but warning of dangers might be nice.
I'd ask the river, but since we're going downstream, it seems like the waters upstream probably wouldn't know anything.

So roll ... Riddle 2?

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:57 pm

Aerth is up early, ready to depart. He has never really taken to the strange, seeminly out of place, inn. He wishes them well, of course, but finds it bizarre for an inn to have been erected here. Of course, he knows the dangers of such things, but the hobbits did not. Perhaps now they do, he was not sure. Aerth waits impatiently to set out.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:26 pm

Varuthil says to the others, "I have spoken to the wind and birds. Other than the swollen waters one would expect this time of year, there seems to be no immediate dangers on the journey ahead."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:53 pm

Borir exits from the smith wiping black ash from his brow. Handing his hammer to Frier as he exits the building. The dwarf hoped to finish some metal working before they depart so that the inn finally have a few missing pieces restored by the time they return.

As Varuthil speaks, Borir arrives and looks at the elf. While he once found it strange to talk to water or wind, he's learned to adjust with the elven companion.

"Well then, we should get moving." He states.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:01 pm

"Well then," Pipkin says. "I suppose it's time to get my travelling cloak and walking stick and make ready to go."

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:17 pm

Finn and Tom are already at the boat, ready to deport. "It is a fine day for a ride upon the river, Tom." Finn steps into the boat, checking her buoyancy when fully loaded.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

April 10th, Down the Mighty Anduin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:34 pm

Everyone is ready and the group sets out, from the Inn to the boat along the banks, and a few people can ride down the river with the empty crates and barrels, but there isn't enough room for everyone. So others walk along the shore, but the shore is muddy, wet and wider than normal with all the spring rains and snowmelt swelling the Anduin this time for year. It becomes clear that only the hardy Borir was smart enough to bring enough changes of socks and boots to keep himself happy and dry along the banks.

Varuthil's sense and communion with the birds and winds give her hope for a easy trip but she soon realizes that's only true if she could fly! So by mid day of the first day the group is already starting to feel the labor of this trip.

That's when Finn lifts his voice from the boat and sings the Lay of the Northmen...
See the Travel OOC Thread. https://brennor.dyndns.org/rpg/Forums/v ... tml#297861

We will use this as we go like before.

Before any other rolls, BB you can do your Lay of the Northman now and the song rolls I'll include in my travel post from here on out.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Re: April 10th, Down the Mighty Anduin

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:15 pm

Finn is very happy to be out on the water again, though the going is slow. He quietly begins to chant the Lay he has recited several times since the companions met him up at the High Pass. His voice echoes across the river.

Before their ships came from the West
And there great kingdoms wrought,
The Lady from West of Westernesse
Low Northmen heeded not.

In Middle Earth they had remained,
The folk of Hador's line,
They revered Béma, waiting for
Menelvagor their sign.

For lone against the wilderland
The Forodrim stern and strong,
Did build and breathe and live and die
Forgotten in all song.

Yet too within the Wilderland
The Forodrim small but strong,
Were faithful 'gainst the slow defeat
Which Elves named Ever-Long.

I'd any other PCS would like to join, they can, for a chance at getting "Inspired"...if you feel like your character would do that.