Book 4: Act 1 - Kinstrife & Dark Tidings

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Judgement at the Carrock: May 5th

Post by Vardaen » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:46 pm

Finn holds his hand and beings his tale, his voice rises up, and he sings a song of mercy and understanding, it is a flawed man, making poor choices but wishing to do good. It is a song of forgiveness and mercy. The entire gathering lowers their voices, and in hushed attention the Beornings stand and listen.

Beorn stands when the song is over. "I have heard enough." He folds his arms over his chest and exhales a deep breath. He closes his eyes and lowers his head for a long few minutes. When he lifts his eyes and looks around at the gathering. He turns and gazes at your small company, and speaks directly to Finn, Varuthil, Aerth, Borir and Wren. “Kinslaying is the worst of crimes” he rumbles, “and this boy certainly murdered Rathfic. However your words have moved me. I think Oderic did not mean to kill Rathfic, and while he acted unwisely, he was not the only one to do so. We will be merciful.”

He stalks forward and places a large hand on Oderic's shoulder, "I pardon you Orderic. You have proven your dedication to our people and you may remain with us. I would suggest you move out of Stonyford, so old wounds do not remain open, but otherwise, live when you will. Do good among our people, and learn from this."

Oderic seems shocked, he stands silent for a moment. "Thank you Beorn. I..I never expected this. I will not waste my second chance." He looks over at your fellowship with tears in his eyes, "I don't have the words to thank you. I..I don't know what to say. You have given me a second chance, and I ..." he gulps down his emotions and is speechless for the next few minutes.

Song 4 + 1 Bonus

Rolled:
Feat Die: 9*
Success Die: 1,1,3,2,1
Totaling: 17

That's 6 Successes with no failures so moving forward. You saved the young man! Good job. We have some resolution still but we are nearing the end of the Adventuring Phase.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:06 pm

Borir looks around to see if there's any other matters which needs Beorn to address. The dwarf is looking for a feast or more of the honey mead which the host had offered before.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:15 pm

When things have settled down, Finn takes Oderic to the side. "I plan to return to Laketown soon. I have not seen my family in some time. Why don't you join me? You could make a new life in Esgaroth, where you can leave memories and all the baggage behind you. The North is flourishing, and if you don't have any ideas of what you would like to do, my family knows people and can make some inquiries."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:20 pm

Varuthil reminds the others. "Remember, we should pay a visit to Radagast and present him with the ... item we found on Valter. And the sooner we set out the better--we don't know what dark force is behind it or if it is still active in other ways. But Radagast might know if he sees the item."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:20 pm

The judgement is over, and those assembled begin to break up and filter down the Carrock. Finn stops Oderic and invites him to join him in Lake-town. The young man considers, "Perhaps I will, I will find it difficult to live among my people now, even with Beorn's merciful judgement. Let me think on it Finn."

You eventually find yourselves with Beorn, the large man looks down at you, "It was a good thing you have done for Oderic, and for my people. You are welcome in my lands any time. I consider you now true friends of the Beornins and of me personally." He hears the talk of Radagast and the item. "What is this you speak of in regard to the Brown Wizard?"
A note, you already each got 1 Treasure Point in silver coins from Beorn before.

You have done so well Beorn allows you during the coming Fellowship Phase to make hsi Hall a Sanctuary or he himself a Patron.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:55 pm

Varuthil gingerly reaches into her travel pack and brings out a wrapped object and hands it over to Beorn, leaving it for the huge man to unwrap himself. "We found this on Valter's person. I have studied the ways of the Enemy deeply and I have no idea what it is--but it is clearly an evil thing. Additionally, as he died, Valter asked about the kingdom that had been promised him. I'm guessing whoever made that promise to him gave him this ... thing. We are hoping that Radagast can tell us what this is--and with that knowledge we might stop whatever evil was behind Valter's ambitions."
So what do we do with Treasure in this game? It's not like it's D&D, where there's always more goodies to buy.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:32 pm

Beorn takes the package and unwraps it half way. As he flips the last of the cloth coverings from the face the big man balks a moment. "What is this?!" He gazes down at the mummified head and stares at its sewn together eyes. "Take this back." He hands it over to Varuthil. "You should destroy it, now, if you ask me." He can see Varuthil has other plans, "But if anyone might know more then the Brown Wizard is the one to speak to. You may stay in my lands until you are rested and ready to set out, but then I ask you to be gone with this at once." He turns back and slumps into his seat, "If you pass this way again after speaking to Radagast you may tell me what you learned."

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:34 pm

Finn bows at Beorn's welcome to his lands. "Thank you again for your generosity. I believe we will return immediately after journeying to Rhosgobel. At least, that is my desire. We shall be ever faithful servants to you and to Wilderland."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:14 am

Borir listens to Beorn's words and couldn't agree any more. The dwarf wished to destroy the ugly and repulsive thing without any questions, but the more scholarly of the group seemed to want to learn more about it.

"Aye.... Aye." The dwarf agrees and nods at Beorn's words.

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Post by TetNak » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:32 pm

Aerth nods to the elf when she shows the token. "That is our plan, Master Beorn. We shall not bring this back to your lands and we shall have it gone from here on the morrow. Radagast will know if this is truly a danger and what we need to do with it." Aerth likes it no more than Beorn, certainly. "I thank you for your hospitality." The half-elf bows and takes a step backward, walking over to Finn and Oderic. "I agree with Finn, make your life elsewhere. Until then, I suppose you can travel with us if you would like."
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name