Book 5: Act 1 - Those Who Tarry No Longer

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:19 pm

Varuthil says only, "Very well, your grace, we shall meet you there." Then she leaves with Finn and Tom. Before parting with him to gather her meager belongings, she says, "Well spoken. If you can charm one of the elders of the Noldor like that, I would not worry about your ability to do business here." She sounds moderately amused.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:22 pm

Finn smiles; it's clear he felt out of his element amongst the high Elves, but was encouraged that charming them at least might not be as impossible as it seemed. He appreciated Varuthil's words.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:24 pm

You ready yourselves and soon are waiting by the gates out of Thranduil's halls. Tom hasn't said a word since the Lady Irime arrived. Finally at the gates he manages, "I have seen elves before, but she... she was something else. I did not know such light was in Middle-earth." He seems lost in his thoughts and snared in her light.

It isn't long after you arrive that you see Legolas, his two companions, and Lady Irime heading for your position on the way out of the halls.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:12 pm

Varuthil actually smiles at Tom and says, "Count yourself lucky. There are few such lights left and more and more of them choose the path of the Lady Irime, going to Valinor in the uttermost west. At some point, perhaps not far distant, they will all be gone." She considers a moment, then adds, "At least not distant as elves reckon things, though I think some such lights will linger here in Middle Earth as your will live."

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:38 pm

"If she is indeed traveling with us," adds Finn, "Then we will have many chances to speak with her." He looks back to Varuthil. "Do you think that Prince Legolas will not go with us? I have a feeling he will not, otherwise why would not he have accompanied her to High Pass himself? She is surely worth that honor and protection."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:46 pm

Tom nods to Varuthil, "This sure beats my years in Bree, I can say that!"

Legolas arrives, the Lady and her guards with him. The Prince is dressed for the road, and armed for it as well. "Come now, we shall set out at once." The Lady is silent, and smiles through her veil at the others, but for the moment, as you leave, she has nothing to say.

You travel the rest of the day and never leave the confines of the Woodland Realm. There is no danger this close to Thranduil's halls. One of the guards signs a song of travel, which seems familiar yet unfamiliar at the same time. For the rest of the day you move in silence other than the song, and at nightfall you stop at one of the many elven groves within Mirkwood. There is a wide open grove there, with what appears to be a camp prepared for you. A feast table is set and a bountiful table is waiting for you, but there are no signs of other elves about.

Legolas invites you into the grove, and to the table, and then finally at last the Lady speaks. She thanks you for coming, and for joining her, and after a while at the table she starts to test Finn's knowledge of the Sindarin language offering him some tips as you drink the wine and eat the feast.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:18 am

Finn is impressed at the meal the Elves set before them. For traveling "light", they were not eating cram or trail rations. Perhaps it wouldn't compare to a feast at the Easterly Inn or back in Thranduil's Halls, but it was better than he ate most days. After dinner he brought out his lute.

"I find the quickest I learn a language is through song. Why don't I share one I've written, and if you're willing to help me translate it, then whenever I sing it I'll learn a bit more?" Before Irime answers, he begins strumming to accompany the simple song.

At Cuivienen, long ago,
The light of Varda's star
Shone down through an age of shadow,
To waken the Eldar.

And each awoke, then upward gazed
Into the jewels of night;
Of all beauty were these appraised
The greatest in their sight.

Through the ages have they remained
Guiding signs for the lost;
And newer stars has heaven gained
As Silmar-light has crossed.

Remaining Elves now slowly fade,
Returning to Valmar.
Though middle-earth a darker shade,
Yet shines still Varda's star.
These are new words, but just for flavor. If it's ok, I'll invoke one use of "The Lay of the Northmen". Playing Lyre along with the Song roll for the +2 bonus.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:18 pm

Does Varuthil know what's going on with the mysteriously appearing food or is something only Legolas and Irime would be privy to?
Varuthil raises her eyebrows when Finn asks Irime to help him translate his song, thinking this is a bold request, but she says nothing. She silently listens to Finn's song, enjoying it.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:29 pm

Irime seems to accept the boldness of the man, and is enjoying his ambition to learn the language doing so in such a way. She assists him translate as the food is eaten and the company stays in the grove for the rest of the evening eating and soon to be resting here.

Legolas has his two guards on patrol throughout the evening and the night, and you only seem them for a short time when they partake in the meal prepared by someone else in anticipation of your arrival. The group is in no hurry, and knowing that Finn and Tom require sleep you remain here throughout the night.

The song is good, and while you expect to hear Tom humming the tune before bed, you are surprised to hear Irime repeating the words, for translation late into the night. The dawn arrives and you are once more back on the elf path moving westwards through Mirkwood.
Rolled:
Feat Die: 10*
Success Die: 4,3,3,1
Totaling: 21+2 = 23 Success

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:29 pm

In the morning, Varuthil is no more talkative than usual, but she does seem in a better mood than normal. She is pleased that Finn has managed to win the favor of Irime.