Book 5: Act 1 - Those Who Tarry No Longer

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

The Old Ford: Hall of the Crossing - October 7th

Post by Muskrat » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:11 pm

Varuthil nods at Rathar the Beorning's words and follows the others in. She sits down by the fire and sips at the ale, by now having adjusted to this choice of drink. She remains silent for the moment, content to let others tell the story unless there is some point of lore that needs clarifying--or warning about the power of the Shadow that needs to be made.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:52 pm

The company heads in and is treated to a fine dinner, with river cold ale, and hot stew with a hard crust bread. Its a hearty meal that fills you up. After dinner the company tells their tale, what parts of if they will, some parts are left out, too difficult are they to talk about.

After a time the group is full and tales are told and the evening is getting on. You are comfortable here, its warm and friendly, and beds are made up for those that wish them.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:48 pm

Finn pulls out his lute and strums a little. He plays quietly and thoughtfully, but doesn't sing.

Before turning in, he wishes Tom well and ensures the young man has what he needs for the road, as he will go his own way in the morning.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:56 pm

Pipkin eagerly enters the hall and finds a comfortable chair near the fire. Having been on the road for so long, he happily puts his feet up and waits for the ale. When dinner comes, he eats and drinks with gusto, having seconds and even thirds. After dinner he takes out his pipe and adds a pinch of pipeweed, lighting it up and filling the room with its aromatic smoke. He waits for the others to start the tales, not wishing to remember in too much detail the mutual dream they experienced.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:33 pm

Borir enjoys the ale and stew. Maybe the dwarf enjoys it a bit too much, but he'll determine that tomorrow morning. After Pipkin lights his pipe, the dwarf heads over to take a seat next to the hobbit. "I've seemed to have lost my pipeweed, might ah get ah'pinch?" He asks as he produces a dwarven carved pipe from somewhere under (or maybe within) his beard.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:50 pm

Looking at the map of the Anduin, Finn speaks to the group, "Friends, should we go along the eaves of the forest, so that we are more likely able to meet Woodmen as we go along? Rathar, perhaps you would be interested in that route? I think the other option is to stay closer to the river until we are near Rhosgobel, and then to turn east. I have a feeling that is the safer route."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:29 pm

Varuthil says, "Do we still have the boats we used before? If we can use them, the river will be the swifter route--and in these perilous times, swifter may be safer."

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:33 pm

"Ah yes, that is an even better idea," replies Finn.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:04 pm

The Fellowship is plotting their next move, and Gelvira overhears as she clears some bowls and plates. "You heading south? I would avoid the Gladden Fields if you can. Dangerous place, dark place. Better to go east from here to the Woodman and travel by their roads." This simple comment reminds you of something that Gwaihir the Lord of Eagles said of warning of those lands.
Reminder since it was so long ago.

"You shall be at my service? I was considering offering you a similar offer. Recently in my more far reaching flights south I have seen a new fortress on the moors south of the River Gladden. I do not know what it is, but I dislike it. It fear it shall prove troublesome for all good peoples of the North. If you run afoul again, you may call on the Eagle, and if we are within range, we shall come."

viewtopic.php?p=326079#p326079
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Post by Trogdor » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:10 pm

"We could ask the Eagles for help," Pipkin offers overs through a cloud of aromatic smoke. "They did say they'd be willing to help us again, and they are friends of Radagast. If nothing else, we could ask one of them to get word to Radagast of what happened. They could make the trip far more quickly than we could."