Book 5: Act 1 - Those Who Tarry No Longer

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

Dawn in the West

Post by TetNak » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:43 pm

"Wait," Aerth says, snapping out of the daze and shakes his head. "I -- I cannot." He turns back to Finn as everything comes to him at once. "I should stay with them," he says, seeming resigned to his fate of longing and loneliness. "They need me, and I won't abandon them." Aerth shakes his head, "I apologies my lords." Taking a deep breath he steps back and rejoins his companions silently.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

A Light in the West

Post by Vardaen » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:48 pm

The twins looks saddened by the turn of Aerth's words. "You are welcome to come any time Aertherinondur, perhaps when your duty to Radagast is finished. Now then we must away before we delay any longer."

Irime moves from companion to companion and places her hands on your shoulders, gazing into your eyes. "Remember the dangers we have faced, and be strong, you are an Elf-friend now and that means much. Go to Radagast and tell him of our trouble. Farewell friend."

Then she joins Elladan and Elrohir and with the others of their company they head up the pass, and soon are lost to sight from the winding and twisting ways.

You feel sad for some reason at her passing, like a great joy has left the world and shall never be replaced. For a long time the company stands in silence just watching up the mountain pass hoping to catch a final glimpse of her. You are rewarded for it, for right at the peak, where the horizon and the sky meet you see a pure white form of a figure, hand raised up in farewell. The sun glints off her hair, then she plunges down the far side, and you know you will never her light again on Middle-earth.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

A Light in the West

Post by Trogdor » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:20 pm

"Fare thee well," Pipkin says to the elves as they leave. "We shall bring word to Radagast, as you ask." He then watches them as they disappear through the mountain pass, savoring every glimpse of the fair folk.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

A Light in the West

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:03 pm

Finn longs to follow the Elves, at least to Rivendell. He purposes in his heart he will make the journey there again, and spend a year rather than two weeks. If he could never see Irime again, at least he would see the same light in the eyes of other Firstborn.

"To Radagast," he says.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

A Light in the West

Post by Muskrat » Thu Sep 22, 2016 5:22 pm

Varuthil silently watches Irime rides away. When the elves of Rivendell has disappeared, she turns to Aerth and says, "That was a hard and noble choice you made. If I had been invited to Rivendell, I do not know if I would have had the will to turn down the opportunity."

shipwreck
Level 5
Level 5
User Class: Wanderer

A Light in the West

Post by shipwreck » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:34 am

Rathar has been lingering behind his companions, observing quietly. He is not sure of what to say, for many of the elves he has encountered in Mirkwood were playful, if not a bit cruel. These elves are far different, like Varuthil. Sad and yet joyful at the same time.

When one of the brothers (he cannot tell them apart for love or money) calls him by name, he starts as if awoken from another dream. Saying nothing, he takes the spear, enjoys its weight, wondering at it. The Wood-goer gives a little bow of thanks, not knowing what else to do.

When they depart, he feels a greater longing than ever to be close to Mirkwood again, but Aerth's stoutness of heart would drive him to shame for leaving. Instead, he looks forward to perhaps seeing the Brown Wizard.

As the morning continues and they gather their things, Rathar draws near to Finn. Smiling weakly, he says, 'I thank you for speaking up. This is a good weapon and will serve use well.'

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

A Light in the West

Post by Shurijo » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:27 pm

Borir comments off-hand that, "For a lady-elf, she wasn't as crazy as the others." It's the best compliment the dwarf has given an elf since they've traveled together.

"Ah," He says as he pats Aerth on the back, unable to reach the man-elf's shoulder. "We're better company than a bunch of elfwits. Better travels, better adventures, and where else can you have Hobbit cooked meals?"

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

A Light in the West

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:48 pm

"Well," replies Finn, "You lost your weapons. I figured the Elves would have something of quality."

TetNak
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
User Class: Brewmaster

A Light in the West

Post by TetNak » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:33 pm

Aertherinondur's eyes follow the elves depart; he looked on with longing and sadness. "I believe another halfwit must go."

The half-elf turns and looks at this companions. "I am sorry. They have something. Well, they know something that I need to know. I need to experience." Aertherinondur frowns, "I must find out who I am. What I am."

With a step backward, he bows, "Stay safe. I hope I shall see you again." Finally, without another word of goodbye, the 'man' know as Aerth to you turns and follows the departing elves at a fast walk.
"Kings have no friends, only subjects and enemies."

- King Stannis Baratheon, First of His Name

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

A Light in the West

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:48 pm

"Go with the Will of the West behind you."

Finn sighs. Aerth had gone back and forth and was clearly very conflicted. Time in Rivendell would do him well, he thought, and could bring healing in time.
Now V just has to set up the appropriate time when we're all about to die, and suddenly Aerth 2.0 shows up!