Book 5: Act 1 - Those Who Tarry No Longer

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

A Light in the West

Post by Muskrat » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:36 pm

Varuthil says to Aerth, "Go in peace and good health, my friend. May you find what you seek." The normal coldness leaves her voice, it instead becoming soft and wistful for the moment.

Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

A Light in the West

Post by Trogdor » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:17 pm

"Goodbye Aerth," Pipkin says with genuine sadness in his voice. "Good fortune to you. And I hope to someday visit you in Rivendell."

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

A Light in the West

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:53 pm

"Yes, we shall visit you in Rivendell," adds Finn. "I long to return there."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The Passing of the Company

Post by Vardaen » Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:23 pm

Aerth's mind changes, once more, and he says his good-byes and then takes off up the trail. You stand and watch for time, and spy him high in the pass where he waves to you from the top. Then he vanishes over the ridge line and is lost from sight. You turn to one another, standing above the ruins of Haycombe, your task done, yet another stands before you.

You are rested, yet tired from the ordeal last night. You must decide what to do. From your place in the high pass you could strike east to the Old Ford and Gelvira's homestead for a rest, then south through the Woodman's domain to Rhosgobel easily enough.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:21 pm

Borir turns away from watching Aerth leave. The dwarf has nothing to say and stays as stoic as a dwarf who's spilt a tavern's last tankard of ale of the night onto the floor. He tries to brush it off, but instead he just remains quiet.

After a few moments, he turns to the others and says, "Well, one foot in front of the next. Back to the Old Ford?" He asks.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:29 pm

Varuthil's eyes remain on the horizon for some moments after Aerth and the elves have disappeared over it, before turning and saying, "Yes, Borir, that would make the best sense. We could all use some rest--but I doubt any of us want to take our rest here again."

She looks around says, "I think most likely Irime has driven away that evil spirit for some time, but still, it would be good to warn others not to camp here. Borir, do you have chisels you could use to engrave a warning on the stone here?"

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:35 pm

Borir shrugs to Varuthil, "All my tools are at the Easterly Inn, but I'll try ma'h best." The dwarf looks around for some improvised tools which he could use to shape some runes into the stone.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Sep 27, 2016 5:49 pm

"Yes," replies Finn, "We can stay at Gelvira's. That isn't like the Inn, but it is something. Rathar, if you have not enjoyed her hospitality, you shall when we arrive."

shipwreck
Level 5
Level 5
User Class: Wanderer

Post by shipwreck » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:44 pm

Rathar shrugs. 'No, I've not spent any time among the Beorning folk. I look forward to it.'

As they await Borir's handicraft, he stares at the mountains, then down along the valley to the river and sighs. The night's events linger with him and he says aloud, 'I wonder if we shall see the like of the thing we faced last night again...for I've not heard of such things since the darkness was driven out of Dol Guldur. Surely this all concerning the great elves? A vengeful spirit such as this would have little to do with mortal folk?'

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:04 pm

Borir works a stone nearby, he has a few items, and good old Tom, Finn's companion, has brought alogn a few things. The Breefolk has sat silent since he woke, he has not endured the trials as well as you, and he is shaken deeply. "Finnulf, perhaps we could speak. I, I very much enjoy your company and all, but I'm not cut out for this. I would ask perhaps, if you don't mind, that I be released from you. I can't handle this sort of thing."

Borir chips away, a simple sign, "Warning" its not perfect, but it will do.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring