Book 5: Act 1 - Those Who Tarry No Longer

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
User avatar
Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Posts: 3712
Location: The Old Forest

The Old Ford: Hall of the Crossing - October 7th

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:19 pm

Finn replies to Pipkin's idea, "I would rather ask them for help when it is urgent. We can make this trip, even without trouble, we have done it many times. But if others feel inclined to get their help, I am not against it."

User avatar
shipwreck
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 301
Location: Atlantis
User Class: Wanderer

The Old Ford: Hall of the Crossing - October 7th

Post by shipwreck » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:13 pm

Rathar sits next to Pip with his roughly hewn pipe, imitating the hobbit as best he can. He puffs comfortably for a short while until the pipe goes out, then he makes another attempt. The Woodman peruses the map casually as the talk of travel stirs up.

"The river is the quicker route," he adds, "but my folk guard the eaves well. We will be safe there. And I would not trouble with eagles needlessly. They are unpredictable, it is said, and none too friendly with the Woodmen."

User avatar
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Posts: 13161
Title: Warden of the North
User Class: Slicer

The Old Ford: Hall of the Crossing - October 7th

Post by Shurijo » Fri Oct 07, 2016 6:03 pm

"Aye," Borir comments agreeing with Rathar. The dwarf fiddles a bit more with his pipe and looks like he is unable to properly pack in the pipeweed and get his pipe properly lit. "No need to bother tha'eagles. Best we save that favor until we have no options."

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 20 Elite
Level 20 Elite
Posts: 9632
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

The Old Ford: Hall of the Crossing - October 7th

Post by Muskrat » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:47 am

Varuthil nods and says, "While it would be nice to see the eagles again, it would be unwise to call on them without grave cause. They are noble creatures and would take it ill to be used as messengers at our beck and call. Let us travel along the eaves of the forest."

User avatar
shipwreck
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 301
Location: Atlantis
User Class: Wanderer

The Old Ford: Hall of the Crossing - October 7th

Post by shipwreck » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:21 am

Rathar raises his mug with a weak smile, the first that's met his face in days.

User avatar
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Posts: 66141
Location: Miskatonic University
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Rhosgobel - October 17th: Evening

Post by Vardaen » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:38 pm

Its a fine rest here, good food, cold ale, and soft beds. You recover well, and fatigue and tiredness leave you. Tom takes his leave in the morning, he will take the boats back to the Easterly Inn with the help of a few hired hands, and promises to meet you once more in the north after he's had some proper rest.

You turn east the Old Forest Road is your start, then south into the lands of the Woodmen that Rathar knows so well. There are roads in the forest you will take, and with him among you you'll have no trouble with them. You expect it to take ten days, mostly through known lands, with stops in Woodland Hall and Woodmen Town for rest and resupply. The autumn days are pretty, cool with falling leaves, and only a bit of rain here and there. Harvest are underway as you pass through the lands of the Woodmen. You stop in Woodland hall after five days and catch up on news and such. It seems there is talk of some folk-moot of the woodmen folk soon to be taking place and that interest you but you can't stay to find out more.

South along the Mirkwood roads of the Woodmen and you come to Woodmen Town where you restock your dwindling supplies. Its another three days to Radagast's home in Rhosgobel so you don't linger long even though you hear rumors of recent attacks on cattle on the outskirts of town.

You leave Woodmen Town expecting to strike west then south along the eves of the forest, but some how Borir manages to get on the wrong trail and he leads you south through the forest longer than expected. Just when you are craving sun on your faces you exit Mirkwood none the worse for wear. From there its easy to the Brown Wizard's home and on the evening of October the 17th you are nearing his woodland home.
Journey from Old Ford to Rhosgobel

Set Route, East, then South thru Woodsman Lands

Ford to Woodland Hall 90 Miles
Woodland Hall to Woodman Town to Rhosgobel 100 Miles

Easy Terran because of the roads between places.

Speed 20 Miles a Day

Leg 1 - 5 Days 1 Fatigue Test
Leg 2 - 5 Days 1 Fatigue Test

Boarder Lands TN 14

Here we go Travel Tests

Borir 17 Success, 22t Success (And Hardy)

Finn 21t Success, 14 Success

Pipkin 11t Fail, 10 Fail (you have some random extra Song Dice, spending them to turn 1 fail into a success). +3 Fatigue

Rathar: 16 Success, Gandalf Auto Success (he's home!)

Varuthil: (1 Bonus Die on first check) 14t Success, Sauron 3 Fail + Hazard (+3 Fatigue) + Hazard + 1 Eye Awareness

Random Hazard Rolls:

Guide (Travel)
Bori: Rolled:
Feat Die: 6*
Success Die: 4,4,1
Totaling: 15 Success

Lost Direction (Guide — Weariness)
The guide has lost the path he was meant to follow and scrambles to recover the lost trail to keep heading in the right direction while traversing a trackless area.

For a short time leaving Woodman Town and traveling south west out of the forest Borir looses his direction and you travel further south and anticipate. He gets back on track after only an hour and you exit the wood just a south further south than expected. No harm done.
Image
Image
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 20 Elite
Level 20 Elite
Posts: 9632
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Rhosgobel - October 17th: Evening

Post by Muskrat » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:47 pm

"I imagine Radagast already knows we're approaching," says Varuthil, "but, just to be polite, I'll try to let him know we're coming."

She steps away from the others for a moment and sings softly to the birds, squirrels and wildlife, asking them to let Radagast know that visitors he has met before are approaching.
The Speakers: Song

User avatar
Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Posts: 3712
Location: The Old Forest

Rhosgobel - October 17th: Evening

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:12 pm

"Where do you live along the lands of the Woodmen, Rathar?" asks Finn. "Do you know much about the moot? It isn't our place to be there, but I do care very much what happens among the Woodmen if it affects their relations to the Lakemen. I happen to hope, eventually, to set up a good contract for lumber, perhaps on the Eastern side."

User avatar
Trogdor
Emeritus Admin
Emeritus Admin
Posts: 27260
Title: The Burninator
User Class: Jedi Master

Rhosgobel - October 17th: Evening

Post by Trogdor » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:43 pm

"Oh dear," says Pipkin at one point in the travel. "That evil dream took more out of me than I thought." He rests against a stout stick he's picked up as a walking staff. "Can't we take another rest?"

But he eventually bucks up and moves along again. But he's not so talkative on the second half of the trip as he was on the first.

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 20 Elite
Level 20 Elite
Posts: 9632
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Rhosgobel - October 17th: Evening

Post by Muskrat » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:43 pm

Varuthil nods at Pipkin's words. "It was more than a dream. It was an assault on our souls." She is, if anything, even more quiet and gloomy than usual, as the trip takes its toll on her as well. The memory of being killed by the troll continues to prey on her mind.

Locked