Book 5: Act 1 - The Borders of the Forest

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Locked
User avatar
Muskrat
Level 20 Elite
Level 20 Elite
Posts: 9632
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Book 5: Act 1 - The Borders of the Forest

Post by Muskrat » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:42 am

Accompanying Legolas and Finn is Varuthil, a grim-looking, unsmiling woman of the Sylvan Elves. Her most striking feature is her white blonde hair. Her clothes are simple and practical, a green dress with the skirts divided for riding and hiking. At the moment, she is wielding an elven bow, from which she looses two arrows in quick succession. You can see a sword hanging from her waist as well.
Woodland Bow: Free opening volley, even when not normally allowed, vs. goblin archer.

Stance: Rearward
Action: Attack: Bow vs. goblin archer

User avatar
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Posts: 66141
Location: Miskatonic University
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Book 5: Act 1 - The Borders of the Forest

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:27 pm

Varuthil emerges from the woods at the side of Legolas and Finn. She lets fly with her bow sending an arrow into the leg of one of the goblins. It howls and leaps from the wagon.

In fact all of the enemies now look to flee. Wounded and outnumbered the orcs and goblins turn tail and flee north for the forest. A few parting shots from your archers drop another of the creatures but several of them still manage to escape into the eves of Mirkwood.

As the battle comes to a close there stands the two groups. The lead sylvan elf, Legolas Greenleaf, turns and looks over the collection of Dwarf, Hobbit and Man, with a curious look on his face. "Well, it seems we have encountered some Free-folk not affraid of of the Yrch." He scans the caravan site and there are dead men scattered about among the dead orcs, and the whole thing is a wreck and a mess. "Seems we came too late to save these men." He looks back at Finn and Varuthil for a moment.
Varuthil: Shoot Archer: Rolled: Feat Die: 7* Success Die: 2,2,4 Totaling: 15 = Success. 5 Endurance

No Opening Volley we were deep in the rounds at this point.

Combat Over, the 3 orcs and 2 archers flee. Some were wounded
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

User avatar
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Posts: 13161
Title: Warden of the North
User Class: Slicer

Book 5: Act 1 - The Borders of the Forest

Post by Shurijo » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:01 pm

Borir turns to the elves and human and throws his arms up in the air. However, it's not a welcoming or praise he seeks to give the trio.

"What'r you doing that fer? I had'em all under control with ma'axe. Now, they've ran away to cause more harm down the river. Darned elves." The dwarf states flatly as he turns to look in the direction the orcs and archers fled.

Wiping the blood off his axe and onto his pants legs, he eventually turns back around to notice that Finn was also part of the group.

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 20 Elite
Level 20 Elite
Posts: 9632
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Book 5: Act 1 - The Borders of the Forest

Post by Muskrat » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:36 pm

Varuthil says coldly Borir, "So next time you would prefer that I stand by and let you be slaughtered? Well, I have no intention of honoring such a request, now or in the future." She turns to Aerth and Pipkin and says more warmly (or at least less coldly), "Well, I hope you two are at least pleased to see us again." She then turns to Legolas and says, "Your Grace, this is a stroke of luck--these are the companions we told you about. Now we need not seek them out. Please forgive the dwarf his rudeness--he is a good companion and a fine warrior behind all the bluster."

User avatar
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Posts: 66141
Location: Miskatonic University
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Book 5: Act 1 - The Borders of the Forest

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:09 pm

Legolas watches the orcs flee north into the woods, and looks over at Borir with a scowl. "You did not tell me Varuthil one of our companions was a foul mouthed dwarf. I believe we will need more than just a little help. His axe no doubt would be only a miner aid." Legolas looks to Pipkin and Aerth and nods politely to them both. "I am Legolas son of King Thranduil of the Woodland Realm, a pleasure to meet such friends of Varuthil and Finn."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

User avatar
Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Posts: 3712
Location: The Old Forest

Book 5: Act 1 - The Borders of the Forest

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:47 pm

Finn cleans his sword and sheathes it. Smiling he goes to shake hands with their three friends, perhaps embracing one or two of them as seems natural, and is certainly more to his style. "Are you all well? I trust your summer was full of fruitful labor and many a fine meal at the Inn?" He looks over to the woodman, who he does not recognize. "But who is this?" He looks more properly toward the stranger. "I am Finnulf Wyngard, of Esgaroth. These are my friends who, I assume you have the pleasure to know."

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 20 Elite
Level 20 Elite
Posts: 9632
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Book 5: Act 1 - The Borders of the Forest

Post by Muskrat » Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:58 pm

Varuthil says to Legolas, "This is Aerth of the Woodmen, this is Pipkin Brandybuck, a halfling from the distant land of the Shire, and the rude dwarf is Borir, son of Norir. I am sure he was speaking in jest at the sight of long unseen friends and did not realize what august company he was in--and now that he knows, he will apologize." Varuthil glares at Borir. She then turns her attention to the stranger, saying, "I am Varuthil of the Elves of Mirkwood."

User avatar
shipwreck
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 301
Location: Atlantis
User Class: Wanderer

Book 5: Act 1 - The Borders of the Forest

Post by shipwreck » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:27 pm

The Wood-goer catches his breath, half tempted to pursue the goblins into Mirkwood. As if noticing it for the first time he hears the companions greeting each other; the sweet voices of elven folk, the coarse banter of the dwarf. When he is addressed it as if he is in a dream, the battle frenzy slowly slipping off him like water.

He responds only after a moments awkward pause, putting a hand to his chest and bowing a little. 'I am Rathar called Wood-goer. Thank you, Finnulf of the Lake and Varuthil of the wood. You are all well-versed in battle I see.'

User avatar
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Posts: 13161
Title: Warden of the North
User Class: Slicer

Book 5: Act 1 - The Borders of the Forest

Post by Shurijo » Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:43 pm

Borir looks the new male elf and then says, "King Thranduil! If ye came to throw me in yer'dungeon you did wit me'brothers, then you should've brought more elves, elf-prince."

The disgruntled dwarf throws up his hand and turns his attention away from Legolas. Looking to Finn and Varuthil, Borir asks "What happened to the other elf?"

User avatar
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Posts: 66141
Location: Miskatonic University
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The End

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:00 pm

Legolas laughs at Borir's statements, "I have fare more important matters to deal with than you dwarf. Unless you have committed some crime against me I have no desire to throw you in jail, nor speak further with you if I don't need to." He looks to Varuthil, "He is a dwarf, do not make excuses for him, I already know all about his kith and kind. We must turn to our task at hand."

Then three more arrive...
Guys I want to bounce us back into the other thread. I know its goofy, but I want the main story to happen over there. So everyone can move over here:

http://www.dicefellowship.org/viewtopic ... 42#p319842
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Locked