Book 6: Act 1 - The Folk-Moot at Rhosgobel

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

June 1st: The Folk-moot

Post by Shurijo » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:28 pm

Borir sits and listens to the men and elves discuss politics, the Shadow's influence over men, and the future of the settlements. The dwarf noisily snacks on whatever food could be found at the meeting and only half-pays attention to the discussion as his thoughts seem to wander elsewheres for the time.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The Folk-moot: Networking

Post by Vardaen » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:54 pm

Rathat heads off to find Amaleoda and locates her and her group back at her camp. The talk as he arrives is both of Mogdred but also about getting the approval to build her long house on the river. Some of the people are speaking about why they need permission anyhow, and she's clearly repeating herself, "...like I said plenty of times before, we need the support, the man power and the money to get this all up and running. Without the Moot's approval we just won't have the resources." Then those there notice Rathar's arrival (and any other Fellowship members that joined him).

"Well hello there, Rathar isn't it? Welcome." She steps forward and shakes his hand.

Finn heads off with Tom, and anyone else, to locate Harfast. The men of Mountain Hall are easy to locate. They too are siting and standing around their area debating the various topics. They seem focused on Ceawin and Mogdred. One of Harfast's aids is replying to some asked question that Finn didn't catch, "They are actually closer to Woodman Hall than we are, sure they are a world away from us, but a case can be made for them joining us. What trade they might bring down from Lake-town could be good, and Bofri the dwarf is talking about opening up the old dwarf road again, think of the wealth that could flow into Woodman Town, and then to us."

Harfast sits, a grumpy look on his face, "Perhaps, if this Mogdred doesn't try and claim it all himself."

Then all eyes turn on Finn and his companions.

At your small area, those that remain behind are treated to a vsist by Radagast. The Brown Wizard, pipe in his mouth, simply walks into your small group, sits down and blows a few smoke rings. He doesn't say or do anything for a long long while as he just smokes and thinks. After a good quarter of an hour, his pipe is spent and he looks up, "So, interesting day?"
So please post where you are at. Options

Rathar - and the Black Tarn folk
Finn - and the Mountain Hall folk
Borir - at base camp with Radagast
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:05 pm

Varuthil remains at the camp. She has already spoken her thoughts and doubts she can do more to persuade people. Besides, when it comes to the question of Mogdred, she finds herself now doubtful of the best course of action.

She rises and curtseys when Radagast approaches. "Yes, sir. A very interesting day. We have debating the matter of Mogrded. Is he a man who was wounded by the Shadow--and if so, should he be welcomed back among his kin so he can find healing? Or was his escape from Dol Goldur no escape at all and does he now work as a servant of the Enemy, sent to sow division and enmity among the Woodmen?--in which case, he should be sent away. I find myself of two minds. What did you sense of the man?"

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:33 am

Finn nods at Harfast. "I hope I didn't speak out of place just now. What are your thoughts of the proposals to the council?"
If this is an Encounter, then this is a roll for Insight. Re-roll due to Tom acting as Page.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:19 pm

Borir remains at the base camp and continues talks with Bofri about opening the road. He is under the same belief that it would be quite a boon to the area, as long as bandits or men doesn't prevent free trade on the route.

Once Varuthil questions Radagast about Mogdred, Borir turns his attention to the brown wizard eagerly awaiting the wise words of a response.

shipwreck
Level 5
Level 5
User Class: Wanderer

Post by shipwreck » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:11 pm

"Rathar Wood-goer," he says, placing his free hand on his chest and bowing slightly to the Shieldmaiden. His smile is genuine, for she is a woman of beauty and renown and he finds himself strangely giddy to speak with her. "For the sake of your time I shall speak with brevity. I am encouraging everyone to vote in favor of Ceawin and yourself...and Mogdred. Even if he means ill, better to delay that intention and hope to nudge it in the favor of our people. We wish to maintain the peace given us these last few years, and his inclusion will help that end."

He smiles again and listens intently, looking the folk of the Tarn over to gauge their responses.
Should I roll Persuade, or are we good?

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:55 pm

Okay I'm back and catching up!
At Camp:
Varuthil and Borir remain at the camp, Borir trying to get more conversation in with Bofri. The dwarf only lingers a bit with Radagast, but seems eager to being his project of opening the road, now commenting on what a boon it would be for Ceawin and Mogdred's people.

Then things turn to Radagast and Bofri ends up wandering the village leaving your small group. Radagast rubs his chin looking at Varuthil, "He is a difficult man to read, proud certainly, sincere as well, but what shadow lies on him from his trials I can not read. His people have caused trouble in past, as you well know, but should all his people be judged by a few? That is a harsh outlook to take. I am conflicted in this matter, but I will support the vote of the Woodmen either way, it is not my place to meddle too deeply in this regard."

Harfast and Mountain Hall Faction

Harfast looks Finn and Tom and others (?) over. "Well if it isn't one of Radgast's men. Welcome, so my thoughts? I think its clear enough, I support the Black Tarn endeavor, and Ceawin perhaps could be good, its hard to say. As for Mogdred, that's another story. He's Ingomer's son, so really in the end I think its up to that old man to decide. Why, do you have some insight in to the matter?"
Finn: Insight: 16 Success, 1 Bonus Die

Amaleoda and the Black Tarn Delegation

Amaleoda smiles at Rathar, "I must thank you then for your support. My people have long been working in the area and the project could be truly beneficial for all our people." She frowns a bit when Mogdred is mentioned, "I'm not so sure that's a good idea, he seem to think the Black Tarn is part of his domain, and I assure you its not." She offers Rathar a seat, "Where are you from my friend, not Rhosgobel, perhaps you're looking for a new place to settle? We could use men like you at the Tarn."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:59 pm

"Well, Ingomer's opinion certainly matters. But so does yours," replies Finn. "If Ingomer supports allowing Mogdred into the Moot, but you do not... well won't most of the Woodmen feel that Ingomer is biased? If anything I think your opinion here matters more than anyone." The people will be listening very carefully to your voice.
Courtesy
"I will say this about Mogdred: he is a man. Men are capable of both good and evil. Before Bilbo came to Beorn's door, he was grim, kept to himself, and all the leadership and potential he had was of no use because he did not allow others in. After the Battle of the Five Armies, not only did the North have a chance to be rebuilt, but the Anduin Vales as well. That is in no small part because of that man who, though he still prefers his own company, has now opened his home and lands and accepted the position the folk of the Northern Vales have given him. His power and leadership are bringing good to all the Free Folk in these lands.

If Mogdred has evil plans,they will come out in time. If he is part of the Moot, you will not only have influence on him, but he will have to work hard to hide such plans. Welcoming him into the Moot means he is accountable and responsible. If he is not welcomed among the Woodmen, he will be a thorn in your side, and you will have little opportunity to use your influence and wisdom to guide him. He is a man of power and cannot be ignored. Wouldn't you rather have a chance to direct him, than conflict with him?

Mogdred lost many years in the pits of Dul Guldor. It seems like playing right into the Enemy's hands to shun a man who has been imprisoned and tortured through no fault of his own. What Mogdred needs is the friendship, counsel, and confidence of men like you and his father. Those things will shape and change him more than you can imagine. And if he is a powerful man, then that power wielded for good will reap great benefit for your people."
Persuade, use Bonus die, and spend Hope if needed.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:11 pm

Harfast welcomes Finn with kind words and gives the man a chance to speak since Finn presents himself with such Courtesy. The man nods a few times, and a few others listening make soft comments to agree or disagree with Finn during the conversation.

Eventually Harfast lifts his hand, "Alright alright, I suppose you could sell a branch to an elf if you wanted too Mr. Finn. I see your points, all of them, they are good once too. There is an old saying to keep your enemies close. Now I don't know if Mogdred is an enemy, I sure hope not, but he is a wild card that's clear enough. I don't care for his attitude, or how method of arrival."

He paces thinking and silences a few of his followers as they go to speak. "I'll back his joining the council and our merry band, but only if Ingomer also wishes too. He's my friend, and if he doesn't want his son here, then I won't force that pain on him."
Courtesy
Rolled:
Feat Die: 6*
Success Die: 4,1,6t
Totaling: 17 with 1 success = Success

Persuade: Bonus. RRolled:
Feat Die: 1*
Success Die: 4,6t,3
Totaling: 14 with 1 success Fail + Hope 5 = 19t Success

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:15 pm

Finn laughs at Hartfast's comment about branches and Elves. "You have a good point there. If Ingomer cannot agree, then you cannot go against your friend in the decision, either."

He spends more time chatting with the men of Mountain Town until there is a natural break, then returns to where he last saw Borir and Varuthil.
Anyone else we need to speak with?