Book 6: Act 1 - The Folk-Moot at Rhosgobel

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

The Folk-moot: The Vote

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:42 pm

Standing off from the main group, Beleran keeps one eye on Mogdred and his followers.

shipwreck
Level 5
Level 5
User Class: Wanderer

Post by shipwreck » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:19 am

Rathar looks around and begins to feel he's been out of the woods too long.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:21 pm

The various factions are ready. Ingomer calls for the first vote.

"First we vote to build a new village by the Black Tarn (Black Tarn Hall)," the elder Woodman calls out.

Amaleoda looks around, eyes pause on Rathar a rather long moment.

All of the Woodmen who are voting members take a rock, white for Yes, Black for no. In secret they take one and hold their hand out into the circle. The word is given to reveal. Nearly every single hand is holing a white rock. Ingomer announces, "So it shall be! Aid shall be given to Amaleoda shall be given aid and leave to build the Black Tarn Hall."

She steps into the circle and bows, "I thank you."

Ingomer presses on. "The next vote, Ceawin. Shall we welcome his people into the Woodmen fold? They are far from here in the East Bight, they are strangers but are kindred in the spirit of the Wood. Vote."

Again the elders take stones, and again Ingomer calls for then to be shown. This time the vote is not nearly as unanimous, but many hands hold white stones, a majority of them. "So shall it be!"

Ceawin bows low to the circle, " I know that from this day forward the lands and influence of the Woodmen shall spread the breath of Mirkwood and together we shall all prosper." There is agreement and hope even among those that voted no.

"Our final vote." In fact this morning they took many smaller votes of small matters, and this is the great and final one. "Do we welcome the Lord of Tyrant's Hill into the Woodmen." He does not use his son's name, or the name he's given himself. There is murmur again among the circle, more, some voices are loud enough to hear descent among them. You have given your opinions and worked your politics as best as you can. "Vote!"

Slowly and with much reluctance the delegations take their stones and hold them in secret. A few Woodmen stand with open palms, they refuse to take a stone, abstaining in the vote. Harfast looks to Ingomer, and takes a stone in each hand. All eyes are on the father of Mogdred.

Ingomer glances at Radagast, then at Finn and your company. He is first, and turns his hand to show a white stone -- yes, he will accept his son back into the fold. A few more of his delegation show white stones, then some black, more black, then a few more white. It is a close vote, and it comes around to the Mountain Hall and Harfast, all of his men wait for him. He looks at Ingomer's hand, and out of order speaks, "If Ingomer welcomes his son, then who are we to deny him?" He opens his right hand, the white stone there, and all his people follow their leader's suit revealing white stones. Even still, it is close, and Fridwald the Runner counts the stones, and in his aged voice announces, "Accepted."

Mogdred smirks. He does not bow or give thanks, he doesn't hardly move. "You have chosen wisely. Now I have work to do." He snaps his fingers, and his men turn and follow him, and they stalk across Rhosgobel toward their horses intent on leaving at once it would seem.

All are silent for a long time.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:51 pm

Borir turns to his companions and says, "Hrumph. Doesn't even stay for a drink? That one ain't no fun or smiles." The dwarf looks around at the room to get a feel for the tension.

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:56 pm

Beleran almost snarls in contempt as Ingomer's son stalks out of the Moot without so much as a second glance to those that have supported his petition.

He shakes his head at the man's arrogance but says nothing. He looks for the others in his company to gauge their reactions.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:28 pm

Finn breathes a sigh of relief at the votes of the council. Before Mogdred can leave, he approaches him. "Surely you and your men would enjoy a drink before you go. While you may have much work to do, if you and the council coordinate your plans, you will find your work more fruitful. If each goes his own separate way to do his own separate things, then what is the point of having a council, much less of asking to be on one that cannot accomplish anything? Why ask to be on a council, then make no use of it?"

While Finn feels a laugh, perhaps a scoff inside, but his genuine curiosity drives him. He thinks over the situation: Why would Mogdred be in a hurry to leave? It makes no sense that he would have endured the torment of returning a scarred man and a lack of trust from his own people, have asked to join a council, and then had no use for it.

shipwreck
Level 5
Level 5
User Class: Wanderer

Post by shipwreck » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:35 am

Rathar sighs at about the same time Finn does and follows the Lake-man as he approaches Mogdred, both to join him in a sign of congratulation...and to be there in case things take a turn. Rathar scarcely notices his hand resting on his own chest, unconsciously feeling his fast beating heart.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:37 pm

Mogdred is stopped by Finn, then Rathar. The young man's scowl remains on his face. "What point is there in drinking? Only a weak man needs such things." He waves at his men, "Go, as planned, I will catch up." The others of his band head off leaving the trio standing alone for the moment some twenty yards from the Moot Circle.

"I suppose I do have time to speak however, but the Orcs of Fenbridge are far from idle, and while I have been away they may have attacked Tyrant's Hill. I have already arranged for many plans to be set in motion once the vote was revealed. I must tend to them." He points south, "By our blood are these lands kept safe. Do you wish to come and see for yourselves? Are you offering blade and spear to aid us? Or perhaps you can handle some trade plans I have to get dealt with now, to help feed and clothe my people?" He stands grim gazing at the two men, purpose in it eyes.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:07 pm

"I would be happy to help you with trade plans," replies Finn. "As for blade and spear, the time for me and my company to aid you will come, though first we have business with Radagast, so I cannot offer to come now.

However, If you tell me what your folk need in trade, I will do what I can to arrange it. One other thing should be considered by you and the rest of the Moot. That is, the leaders ought to swear fealty to one another, particularly to come to the other's aid when called on, if it be in their power to do so."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:53 pm

Varuthil is very quiet after they vote to accept Mogdred. As she said to Radagast, it seems like the noble thing to do, but not necessarily the wise thing to do. She questions the wisdom of it even more when Mogdred simply prepares to leave. She watches Finn and Rathar approach Mogrded, but does not join them, concerned that the intervention of an elf may only exacerbate the tensions. Instead, she nods at Borir's words. "I fear the Shadow lies heavily on that one, even if he does not serve it willingly. I hope the Woodmen do not regret their decision." She speaks very softly, so as not to be overheard.