Book 6: Act 1 - The Folk-Moot at Rhosgobel

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

The Folk-moot: Networking

Post by Muskrat » Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:27 pm

Varuthil nods at Radagast's words. "I suppose, if it comes down to it, I think it better to do the noble thing than the wise thing. But, as you say, the decision is the Woodmen's, not yours or mine."

shipwreck
Level 5
Level 5
User Class: Wanderer

Post by shipwreck » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:02 pm

Rathar smiles, delighted, and sits down carefully. "I come from Woodland Hall," he declares, "Though I spent more time in wood than hall. As chance would have it I met this group of travelers and have been among them some time." He slows and nods, muttering something about this being the second invitation he's gotten today. "And here is where I belong...for now. I have seen the Black Tarn once and it is a special place. I imagine your hall will be grand, if it is not so already, but I belong with these folk...for now. But one day I shall come and see Black Tarn Hall and hold myself glad to be in the company of its keeper." He blushes a little and changes the subject. "What are your plans for the place?"

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:33 pm

Mountain Hall

Finn makes small talk with Harfast for a bit, but after half an hour he breaks free and rejoins those in camp.
Black Tarn

Amaleoda smiles, "My mother was from Woodland Hall, my father Woodman-town, I guess that's not surprising we aren't too far ranging of a people. The Black Tarn is special, there is no doubt. I plan to build a grand longhouse there, on the shores, where we can fish and prosper, and enjoy the wonder of the place. I hope to draw a few dozen families more than what we have already. We could spread out and be at ease there."

Camp

Radagast stands up and pats Varuthil on the shoulder, "I think that's a wise idea, a wise idea indeed. Now then, if you'll excuse me I need to tend to something." The brown wizard, distracted, wanders off back to his cottage. Shortly after Finn returns.
So once Rathar finishes up, or Beleran we can advance the scene to the voting.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:54 pm

To anyone that is close by, Beleran says "The more folk we have working together, the better. But this man who comes to a moot, armed for war and full of ill will. I say we should be on our guard."

After that he seeks his own company on the edge of the settlement.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:51 pm

Borir nods with Beleran saying, "Ya'll can't trust tall folk. The air up there, must make'em crazy. Now, you'll never hear story of crazy dwarves wanting war or fighting among ourselves." The dwarf smirks looking to Bofri and then says, "We keep all of those stories to ourselves."

shipwreck
Level 5
Level 5
User Class: Wanderer

Post by shipwreck » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:39 pm

Rathar smiles and gives Amaleoda a lasting gaze. "I will look forward to seeing your hall." He nods and stands, saying, "It must be near time to vote..."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The Folk-moot: The Vote

Post by Vardaen » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:51 pm

There is some chuckling at Borir's joke among those that remain. It isn't long before everyone returns to camp. Some of the fellowship was trying to sway the votes, others just talking to those in the moot. Pippkin vanished, but returns, the crumbs on his vest, and blueberry stains on his teeth suggest he was off eating again.

The time to vote is drawing close, and the various factions are starting to return to the moot fire. First comes Mogdred and his men, their horses stabled, but their arms still worn. Then Harfast from the Mountain Hall with Fridwal the Runner, then Ceawin and his company. Bofri and the Beorning continent arrive together, with Amaleoda next. Locals of Rhosgobel filter in along with Radagast who is looking worried and distracted. You are there of course, and the last and final group to arrive are those of Woodland Hall and Ingomer Axebreaker.

The Moot begins again. Radagast steps into the center of the collection of people, "Must has been debated, and much yet is to be decided. Let us remember that we are all here as friends and allies, and together we are stronger than apart. That together we can push back the darkness of Mirkwood and might a brighter future. The Battle of Five Armies at Erebor has taught us that." He looks around at each of the various factions, including yours, and then steps out of the center.

Ingomer steps forward, he looks tired, and aged even in the few hours since you last saw him. "We shall vote. As is tradition the topic shall be set forth, each delegation belonging to the council of Woodmen shall have a vote. It is final, and shall all abide by the vote of the council. Are there any questions."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:33 pm

Varuthil watches the proceedings attentively, but says nothing for now.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:36 pm

Finn looks at the leaders of the Wooodmen, and hopes that his entreaties had an effect.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:58 pm

Borir remains quiet as well. The dwarf spends most of his time considering the implications and gains from opening the old road and possibly working with his kinfolk on the task.