Book 6: Act 1 - The Folk-Moot at Rhosgobel

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

The Choice: April 15th

Post by Shurijo » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:46 pm

Borir nods and smiles proudly as Bofri recounts the stories of the old dwarven road. "One day!" Borir finishes Bofri's story, "One day, our kin and goods will be flowing back and forth on the road like leaves in the river."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Men-i-Naurgrim, The Mouth of Mirkwood: April 21th

Post by Vardaen » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:56 pm

It is decided, and so you head out from the last piece of civilization you're bound to see for a while. You march northwest for a nearly a week to the head of the Old Forest Road. Its here that Pipkin parts you and travels west to the Old Ford and Gelvira's place, from there he'll head north into the Beorning lands and home to the Easterly Inn. You worry for him, but you suspect he'll be just fine.

You turn east, to the mouth of the Dwarf Road, the Men-i-Naurgrim. Western Mirkwood is a tangle of thick woodland. Many parts of it are impenetrable — oak and hazel and thorn wound together with poison ivy and brambles. You stand gazing at the mouth of the old road. Bofri is all smiles, while Nalir and Brok look on with silent determination.

During the trip Bofri tells you more Lore about the road. Men-i-Naugrim, the Dwarf Road.

It was probably laid out before or during the First Age to connect the dwarves of the Far East with their kin in the Misty Mountains, and from then on to those in the Blue Mountains. When they eventually met the elves, they made alliance with them and trade pacts were forged and the road was no doubt used to facilitate trade between them.

It is possible that during the late Second Age it was used to carry the armies of the Last Alliance, which may add to the evidence that it once had a bridge running across it that eventually rotted away, thus crossers had to rely on a boat to reach the other side of the road.

After Sauron's occupation of Dol Guldur, the forest of Mirkwood became more and more dark and dangerous, so most chose not to travel upon it for fear of being attacked. Most that did travel on it lost sight of it and usually never found their way back onto it again, thus never finding their way out of the forest according to Gandalf and Beorn.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:38 pm

"This is the last we'll see of the clear sky for a while," says Finn. Though he had been through the forest numerous times, it had never been this far south. He had never had more trouble than a few spiders, but the Elf Path always seemed to be safe enough. The Old Forest Road, on the other hand, was hardly better than going straight through the forest. Perhaps worse, for they might believe in their hearts somewhere that the road would lead them through, when in fact it might get lost in the tangle and be as difficult to navigate as the heart of the forest.

"Remember, if we find that the way becomes too dangerous, there is no reason we cannot turn around. We are just trying to gather what information we can... and we don't even know if the road continues all the way through anymore, or if it has been swallowed completely by the Long Marshes."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:12 pm

As they reach the edge of the forest, Varuthil pauses and says, "Let us see what I can find out about the road ahead--what the wind or the trees may have to say." She reaches out with her hand, touching the trees on their trunk, singing softly in Quenya, asking about any perils that travelers might face, then cocking her head, listening for a reply in the wind or the rustling of the leaves.
The Speakers. I'd like to make this a Song roll, but since I'm listening more than speaking, I'm guessing it's Insight or Riddle.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:05 pm

Borir shrugs at the caution of the others, "Bah, ain't nuthing we can't handle. You're traveling with a group of dwarves now."

shipwreck
Level 5
Level 5
User Class: Wanderer

Post by shipwreck » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:27 am

Rathar keeps his feelings to himself, but he is nearly grief-stricken as Pipkin turns and waves and heads down the road away from them. He was fond of the hobbit and had much more to learn from him. As it is, he's glad to be returning to the wood...but the road is dank and ill-favored among his people. Dangerous. To lose more of the company...

'Bofri, let me scout ahead. I don't like the look of things already. I'm most skilled in the wood and can ensure at least the first stage is clear of danger.'
Explore, please

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:07 pm

With Pipkin leaving, and Borir boasting about traveling with dwarves now, Rathar plunges into the opening scouting the way ahead of the others for a few moments....
I'm going to end the Act here. I'll start up a new Act in just a moment. Makes sense, the Moot is done, and away we go with a new venture.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring