Book 6: Act 1 - The Folk-Moot at Rhosgobel

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: Book 6: Act 2 - The Folk-Moot at Rhosgobel

Post by Muskrat » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:24 pm

Once everyone is settled in, Varuthil says to her companions, "It is good to see you all again--and good to be here at the inn again." She comes across as a little stiff, her old coldness having returned somewhat in the time she has been away from them. "I came here not only to see you again, but also with business--I bear a message from Radagast. Well, really two. One is a letter for the wizard Gandalf the Grey--has he been here yet? Radagast is confident he will pass this way. And he has asked us to go to Rhosbogel, to attend the Moot of the Woodmen. He says it would raise their spirits if we are there, reminding them that they do not stand alone against the growing Shadow."

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:09 pm

"Gandalf has not been by," answers Finn. "I don't know him well, but I think I would have recognized him. . . . As for the Moot, I am very eager to go. Much of their business doesn't concern me, but of course as a whole we do support them, and I hope to find opportunities for business with them, as well."

shipwreck
Level 5
Level 5
User Class: Wanderer

Post by shipwreck » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:58 am

"There will be more than Woodmen there as well, I expect," says Rathar. "Often honored guests from the folk of this realm come as well. More contacts to be made for our cause and for the inn."

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Mon Nov 28, 2016 6:45 pm

Borir nods in agreement at Finn's response about Gandalf not being seen at the inn. The dwarf listens the others and then responds, "Rhosbogel, in the morning! Drinks and food now!"

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:22 pm

Beleran had been observing the conversation about the two great wizards, his interest growing (as he had only but heard of the two in stories) as the companions talked about receiving letters from them and performing tasks on their behalf.

He was momentarily distracted by the dwarf's assertion that there should be ale and food, though he would of course decline the ale. For some reason he found he would dream more often after he supped and he was adamant that would not happen here.

He had heard things about both wizards and wondered if either of them would be able to aid him at all.

"Rhosbogel?" He asked Borir. "Are you in need of an extra hand? The lands about here are treacherous as I'm sure you are aware. An extra set of eyes and a strong arm could come in handy."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:10 pm

The Brandybucks that run the place, Dindy and Dody and Agatha, tend to the company's needs. They are busy serving ale, and mead, seed cakes, honey cakes (from the Beorning Lands they traded for), a hearty beef stew, good hard bread, a half wheel of soft cheese, and of course pipes -- pipes enough for anyone that wants one to borrow.

They are busy working, and Pipkin is among the hobbits too, he works the kitchen and helps out. At some point he inquires about the letter for Gandalf, and comments the old grey-beard hasn't been seen around in a while, but they can certainly keep the letter for him, they even have built a special mailbox just for the old man to pick up or drop things off on his travels. After a bit Pipkin joins the company, filling up the corners, and liting up a pipe. He smiles at Beleran, "These are dangerous roads, better than before, so I've been told, mostly thanks to your people, Beorn and his folk. I haven't decided if I'm going along on this little venture this time, but if I was them, I would welcome a man like you on the trip." He points at the others, "I can't vouch, per say, for Beleran here, but I can say he's been a model customer here at the Easterly Inn, and your house manners matters much, as my cousin used to say."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:54 pm

"Not coming, Pipkin?" says Finn. "A hobbit's voice could be very helpful at the Moot. You should come."
V, of course I'm expecting that Trog is out for a while (or permanently?), so ICly it makes sense to have Pipkin stay. But Finn will discourage it anyhow.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:05 pm

Borir's eyes close slightly as he turns and considers Beleran's words. "An extra hand?" He asks.

He looks at his two hands held out in front of him and then says, "Well, it would be handy to have a third hand - one for ma'axe, one for ma'shield, and one for my ale! Ha! What a sight! A three handed dwarf!" The dwarf then laughs as he bellows loudly.

Borir begins to wipe his tears of laughter using his forearm as he puts his other hand on Beleran. "Talk to the lady elf. If yer good of heart and stout, then there might be room. As long as you can hold yer own and not slow us down."

silverfoxdmt73
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Former Company Man

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:32 pm

At first Beleran watches the dwarf as Borir acts out his joke, not quite sure how to react. As Borir bursts out laughing a grin breaks his stern looking face, before he too is roaring with laughter.

"A three handed dwarf indeed!" He laughs, shaking his head with mirth.

"I believe it is yourselves that will slow me down." Beleran adds with a wry smile and a glint in his eyes.

He looks to the elf Borir spoke of and clears his throat, somehow nervous of approaching the aloof looking elf. He stands and walks over to her.

"My lady, I come to offer my services to you and your companions. If you would have me, I would prove myself useful and loyal. If you are in any doubt of my character, Beorn would vouch for me."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:26 pm

Varuthil thinks for a moment, then nods. "If Pipkin vouches for you, that is good enough for me," she says. "And there is no need to call me 'my lady.' I am not the leader of this group or any other--unless my companions have elected me their captain in my absence." Her manner remains reserved and aloof, but a whiff of humorous amusement marks her last words.