Book 6: Act 1 - The Folk-Moot at Rhosgobel

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Two Days Later: Meeting with Radagast

Post by Vardaen » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:19 pm

Borir leave Radagast's cottage and seeks for Bofri in the village of Rhosgobel. He finds him after about twenty minutes and sits down to speak to the other dwarf. Bofri is more than happy to hear it, he's already been making his plans, and let's Borir know it, "Most excellent! Then we leave in two days time. I am still hopeful to get others, and I need a few things squared away with the old Brown Wizard. Meet me at dawn on the second day and bring your good walking boots. We have quite a trip in front of us."
You have 2 days to do anything you want, you can post a gloss over post, and arrive when you are ready to set out.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:27 pm

Finn asks Tom to learn what he can from Borir of the Old Forest Road over the next two days, so that they are well prepared for the journey. They have all traveled across Mirkwood before, but never in so difficult a spot.
Since this is sort of a new start to a journey, Tom will act as Finn's Porter, allowing him to reroll Travel tests instead of Courtesy/Insight. This also will narrate the Lore roll trying to prepare for the road.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:45 pm

Varuthil makes her preparations to travel again in silence. When she is done doing so, she spends some time in solitude, walking about the area, listening to the wind and the stones.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:16 pm

Borir is happy to see that Bofri accepts his companions as traveling partners. While he already assumed as much, the dwarf doesn't let the opportunity pass without celebration. "Time for a drink, Bofri! To celebrate our new traveling companions!"

shipwreck
Level 5
Level 5
User Class: Wanderer

Post by shipwreck » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:21 am

Rathar is surprised to be heading down the road so soon, but grateful. It was his intention to help Bofri at some point, and sooner does seem better than later. He has made his goodbyes to those departing from the Moot, promising again to visit Black Tarn Hall when he may to Amaleoda, and spends the two days split between chatting with the folk of Rhosgobel in the great hall (some even remember his mother) and staring into the woods.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

The Night Before: Pipkin & Bofri

Post by Vardaen » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:22 pm

Evening, April 5th

Pipkin comes to the group on the night before the Fellowship is set to leave with Bofi. "My friends, I have decided that once more I will not be traveling with you." He holds a hand up, "I know I know you'll miss my cooking and my pipe, but I have no real desire to venture into Mirkwood unless I must. I will head north with you for a time, to Woodland Hall and then leave you and return to the Easterly Inn. You can find me there when you return." He takes some time to socialize with each person before the evening is over then retires for the night a bit melancholy.

During this evening Bofri has gathered you all together, along with his two companions he introduces as Nalir and Brok Ironfist. "Well now that we are about ready we should talk a bit about the plan. I'm very happy to see that so many of you are willing to assist me. My plan, as far as it goes, is to travel north to the mouth of the Old Forest Road and then scout it moving east. I don't know the condition of things beyond the very western edge, and its high time I take a look. The old lore says there used to be waystations and forts all along the road every few days of travel. What condition they are in still is yet to be seen. The lore says there was Roadwarden, a dwarf of infulence that was in charge of the whole of the old road. His staff was a magnificent piece of dwarf -wrought craft,and with it came the authority of his rank. Lost ages ago, hidden away when the road fell to ruin. If we could find that, it could bolster all my efforts. Still, that seems a long shot, but this venture is built on long shots."

He lifts his mug up, in a final toast, "To long shots, new friends, and old treasures!"
Okay work has sucked this week. I'll get us moving out tomorrow I hope. Last chance for any Rhosgoel actions.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:24 pm

Finn had not seen much of Pipkin recently. He regretted the Hobbit would not be joining him, but knew he was brave, and great asset to the Inn. And as Finn was an investor at the Inn, he certainly wanted it to have all the advantages it could get, seeing as it was at the edge of the Wild and could fail at any time. With Pipkin there, he had a feeling things would go better for the Brandybucks.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:36 am

Borir lifts up his mug joining into the toast. While he was sad to see the departure of Master Brandybucks, the dwarf is still able to down the remaining mead in a single gulp. "To tomorrow, for tonight we drink!"

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:42 pm

Varuthil raises her mug in a silent toast as well.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

The Choice: April 15th

Post by Vardaen » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:13 pm

Bofri is up early, too early, he wakes you and makes sure you are ready to go. Eager, he has things prepared and after a good breakfast you set out with him. The beginning of your trip is easy and simple and you've made it many times over the last few years. You travel for six days and reach Woodmen Town without issue. You stop there and enjoy the hospitality of a good inn and tavern, restock, and press on north along the Woodmen forest roads. Four more days and you've reached Woodland Hall. You speak briefly with Ingomer about your task and once more enjoy the beds of a nice Inn. Bofri is eager to keep moving, but from here some debate arises from his dwarf companions.

April 15th, Morning, Ten days after leaving Rhosgobel

So you are sitting around the breakfast table ready to leave as the debate continues.

"No no no, we could follow the river now northeast through the rooms and come out on the road sixty or more miles already east!"

"We must not skip anything. We travel north along the eves of Mirkwood to the western gate, and travel the entire length of the road from eve to eve."

The three dwarves' debate is getting heated and finally Bofri looks to you, "What about you? What do you think?"

Pipkin, smoking a morning pipe meekly adds, "Well, either way I'll be heading next to Gelvira's place and north to the Easterly Inn from there. I am afraid we part today, so I have no voice in this matter.