Book 6: Act 1 - The Folk-Moot at Rhosgobel

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Locked
User avatar
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Posts: 13161
Title: Warden of the North
User Class: Slicer

The Folk-moot: The Vote

Post by Shurijo » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:13 pm

Borir nods at the elf-lady's words, "Aye." The dwarf then turns and looks towards the food and drink offerings, "If he'l not drink, then ah'll drink his share." He then begins to walk over and join his kinfolk in taking Modgred's share of the alcohol.

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 20 Elite
Level 20 Elite
Posts: 9632
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

The Folk-moot: The Vote

Post by Muskrat » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:42 pm

Varuthil considers her next course of action. She hopes admitting Mogrded and his men to the ranks of the Woodmen proves the wise as well as the noble thing to do, but in case it is not ... She approaches Amaleoda and says, "My Lady, congratulations. May I speak with you a moment?"

User avatar
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Posts: 66141
Location: Miskatonic University
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The Folk-moot: The Vote

Post by Vardaen » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:17 pm

The woman is absolutely smiling, she's in good spirits, not even Modgred's mood can ruin hers. "Why yes Lord Varuthil is it not? I am more than happy to speak to one of the Fair Folk of Mirkwood. I understand I have your company partially to thank for convincing the Elders to allow my people their task." She motions toward the food and drink tents, "Come, let's drink and eat and talk."

Modgred stands with Finn, "Weapons, armor, food. Those things fighting men require. We have some of it, and take what else we need. I can pay you in orc heads if that please you, but the men of Tyrant's Hill are not craftsmen and artists, nor are they miners and farmers. Still we have gold and silver if that would be your pay."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

User avatar
Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Posts: 3712
Location: The Old Forest

The Folk-moot: The Vote

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:24 pm

"As strange as it is, I think a mix of both would be good. I think not only seeing orc heads will show the rest of your folk the value your protection provides, but it will demonstrate your prowess and that your need for weapons and armor is real. They should be all the more willing to supply you with these basic needs.

If you must leave soon, then I will be your voice to the other men of the council, to let them know what you need and what you offer. Silver, gold, and orc heads on a regular basis, in exchange for weapons, armor, and food. I have to assume your men are more interested in things like bread, beer, and things from the garden, but that you can supply your own hunting needs?"

Finn talks with Mogdred further, and encourages the man to speak directly with the council if he has time, but again offers to do so on his behalf if he must leave.
If it's valuable for the story, I'm happy to keep going on this ICly, but I'm also fine just saying that Finn will try to arrange a good trade deal between the Woodmen of Tyrant's Hill and the rest of the Woodmen, and then moving on. I think we still need to talk to Radagast.

User avatar
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Posts: 66141
Location: Miskatonic University
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The Folk-moot: The Vote

Post by Vardaen » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:43 pm

"You do not speak for me Lake-man, but you may tell them what we have spoken about. My demands will come soon enough with my envoys. Look for us in the Black Tarn, it is within my bounds, and I will not make the needlessly long trip here if I can send men there."

The two speak a few moments longer, but then Mogdred turns and leaves. Overall its a rather unpleasant conversation, and Finn does not get a good feeling about the man or his attitude.
We don't need to keep going. I think the points made. What is next I wonder for the company.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

User avatar
Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Posts: 3712
Location: The Old Forest

The Folk-moot: The Vote

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:19 pm

Finn cannot help but chuckle at Mogdred's last comment. "In my dreams I have experienced the guile of Annatar face to face, Mogdred. It is certainly not the same as what you have seen. But nevertheless I have lived through that pit of ruin and despair, watching my friends tortured for sport, dragged off and killed. I woke up from the dream and it is over. You friend, on the other hand, carry around the burden of seeing these things with your waking eyes.

"Yet you seem not yet see that these men, who have welcomed you into their trust and council, require no /demands/ from you to send what you desire. Send your list of desired goods in trade to Amaleoda, and the council will see that you get what you ask for."

When Mogdred has gone, Finn goes to tell Ingomer what to expect from Mogdred, in terms of his tone and what he will be asking for. "You might as well have some things already at the Black Tarn. If it is helpful to him, but perhaps less than he might initially want, he might not find it worthwhile to push harder if you are already prepared to give him something."

After this business is attended to, Finn goes to find Borir and something to drink, expecting he shouldn't have trouble finding both in the same place.

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 20 Elite
Level 20 Elite
Posts: 9632
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Re: The Folk-moot: The Vote

Post by Muskrat » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:35 pm

Vardaen wrote:The woman is absolutely smiling, she's in good spirits, not even Modgred's mood can ruin hers. "Why yes Lord Varuthil is it not? I am more than happy to speak to one of the Fair Folk of Mirkwood. I understand I have your company partially to thank for convincing the Elders to allow my people their task." She motions toward the food and drink tents, "Come, let's drink and eat and talk."
Varuthil says, "Certainly, I will join you for a meal." After they sit, Varuthil says, "I am glad your settlement was recognized. As for Mogdred--I think admitting him to your ranks was the noble thing to do, but I am unsure it was the wise thing to do. With luck, rejoining his kin will help the man find healing from whatever he endured in Dol Goldur. But I fear that the Master of Tyrant's Hill may indeed prove a tyrant. And he seems to regard your territory as under his 'protection.' I wanted you to know that if you face trouble with him, I will stand by you, both in council and in arms. I cannot speak for my companions, but I think they would feel the same. We have prevailed in hard battles before, but there are also many who would listen to us, among both the Woodmen and your neighbors. Send us word if you need our help. In so far as we have a home base where messages may be left us, it is here with Radagast and at the Easterly Inn in Beorning territory."

User avatar
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Posts: 66141
Location: Miskatonic University
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The Folk-moot: The Celebrations

Post by Vardaen » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:55 pm

Mogdred is silent in reply to Finn, and heads off to join his men and within the hour his company has left Rhosgobel and are traveling south once more.

Finn reports to Ingomer, and the old man is worried, and looked aged since the arrival of his son. Clearly he is troubled and conflicted by the return of his lost son, or what once was his son. He thank Finn but then withdraws into himself and his people and isn't seen among the conclave the rest of the days.

Amaleoda is pleased to sit with Varuthil, the elven woman is an inspiration to her. "I suspect we will have trouble with him. We have had a few minor interactions with his people recently. I was surprised they admitted him to the council actually, but I'll make it work." She toasts to the Woodmen, to Radagast to the Elf King, and to the Black Tarn. "I gladly accept any help you will give us Lady Varuthil, and you are welcome in the Black Tarn any time you like!"

The company ends up little by little arriving in the food and drink tents, and enjoy the spoils of the long council. The Beornings are there, Bofri is there selling his ideas to all that will listen, primarily to Ceawin who could truly benefit from the road being open once more now. Harfast and Fridwald too are present, their men and women singing songs of the Woodmen, telling stories, and socializing for a grand moot of success. With Mogdred's company not here, the mood has improved and the festival feel has returned. Only Radagast and Ingomer are not seen among the festivities.

You celebrate late into the night.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 20 Elite
Level 20 Elite
Posts: 9632
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

The Folk-moot: The Celebrations

Post by Muskrat » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:49 pm

Varuthil says to Amaleoda, "I pray you never need my aid, but perhaps I will visit the Black Tarn anyway." She is simply curious to see the new settlement. "As for Mogrded, I think many of your people are reluctant to believe one of their own has gone bad, as opposed to simply being traumatized by being tortured in Dol Goldur. I hope they are right--but I do not know. And even if one does not knowingly serve the Enemy, one's actions may still serve the Enemy if they are cruel or foolish." She shakes her head and lifts her glass. "But I am too prone to gloom. I wish you good fortune with your settlement."

User avatar
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Posts: 13161
Title: Warden of the North
User Class: Slicer

The Folk-moot: The Celebrations

Post by Shurijo » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:39 pm

Borir listens to Bofri's ideas and the dwarf is as keen on reopening the road as his kin. As the night progresses, Borir's intake of food and drink seems to have no end in sight.

Locked