Book 6: Act 1 - The Folk-Moot at Rhosgobel

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
User avatar
Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Posts: 3712
Location: The Old Forest

The Folk-moot: The Celebrations

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:12 pm

Finn listens to Bofri as well, enjoying food and drink with Borir. He avoids joining in the drinking games with the Dwarves, not wanting to have to be carried from the room when all is said and done. He nevertheless enjoys himself, and the wine and ale soon carry all to singing and especially dancing.

User avatar
shipwreck
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 301
Location: Atlantis
User Class: Wanderer

The Folk-moot: The Celebrations

Post by shipwreck » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:16 am

Rathar sits down between Amaleoda and Varuthil. "We shall visit the Tarn together, then," he says, blushing. He listens to the two of them speak, enjoying the wine and the chatter, then bounces from conversation to conversation until he's had his feel and pads off to the edge of the wood.

In the end, far after midnight, he finds a corner in the great hall and falls asleep.

User avatar
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Posts: 66142
Location: Miskatonic University
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Two Days Later: Meeting with Radagast

Post by Vardaen » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:45 pm

The festivities continue into the night.

When morning arrives Rhosgobel is sleepy and slow to wake. By he afternoon however things are back to normal. Most of the factions are finishing up deals, finalizing trade, and saying their goodbyes. The first group to leave, before evening, are the Beornings. They travel light, and are gone before dinner heading north home.

The celebrations this second night are mostly over everyone is planning an early departure in the morning. Before day break Harfast and the Mountain Hall contingent are on the road traveling west. Ingomer and those of Woodland Hall and Woodman Town are on the road before noon heading north. With them goes Amaleoda and her people, for she plans to gather her supplies and more people before returning to the Black Tarn in a few weeks to start her projects.

That leaves only Bofri, Ceawin, and the locals of Rhosgobel when finally Radagast returns from his short little trip. You manage to get time to sit down with the Brown Wizard in his cottage after he returns. You hold your little meeting, telling him all your thoughts and goals, news, details from Irime you may have forgotten before, and your concerns about Mogdred. He listens, and is mostly concerned about Irime and Mogdred. "We are in good times now friends, but even clear skies will eventually fill with dark storm clouds. Continue your work, and your reports, and I will send for you if I must. Word is you are going to aid Bofri, that could be good. For too long the road has sat fallow and unused. It could be a boon to all if cleared, but what is Bofri's plan? Surely you can't clear it and repair it and man the waystations without great effort."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

User avatar
Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Posts: 3712
Location: The Old Forest

Two Days Later: Meeting with Radagast

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:58 pm

Finn laughs, "We will be glad to explore it with him. But we are hardly the right ones to clean and repair it. That is work for the Dwarves. But perhaps if we help him to at least explore, he can take what we learn to King Dain and gain support for his cause from his own folk. Perhaps the men in my father's company would aid the Dwarves as well."

User avatar
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Posts: 13164
Title: Warden of the North
User Class: Slicer

Two Days Later: Meeting with Radagast

Post by Shurijo » Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:00 pm

Borir nods in agreement with Finn, when the man talks of the work for dwarves. Looking around the area, the dwarf holds his hand on his head, while still feeling the aftereffects of the vast intake of both food and drink from the previous night.

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 20 Elite
Level 20 Elite
Posts: 9634
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Two Days Later: Meeting with Radagast

Post by Muskrat » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:46 pm

Varuthil says, "Yes, I think we could certainly help them with scouting the area out and seeing what dangers need to be addressed if the road is to be passable again." Plus, she finds herself curious to work with a group of dwarves. True, her people have not historically gotten along well with them, but that was all them more reason to work with them--to see how much of what was said of them was true and how much evil rumor caused by ill will and ignorance; and to see if there was not someway to begin mending the broken relationship between their two peoples.

User avatar
silverfoxdmt73
Level 11
Level 11
Posts: 989
Location: Newcastle, England
User Class: Former Company Man

Two Days Later: Meeting with Radagast

Post by silverfoxdmt73 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:51 pm

Beleran has been quiet and somewhat introverted through the whole Moot, not really being one for great gatherings of people. He takes plenty of food when it was offered but no ale or mead, drinking only water. He would join in toasting other's good fortune, but only supped of his own water when it came to drinking.

He joined with the others when they spoke to the Brown Wizard and solemnly offered his services in scouting the roads for the dwarves. Being out in the wilds always felt far better than being cooped up within the walls of any settlement, no matter how welcoming the hosts.

User avatar
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Posts: 66142
Location: Miskatonic University
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Two Days Later: Meeting with Radagast

Post by Vardaen » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:56 pm

Radagast strokes his beard a bit, "Good good, yes the road has always been an issue. Do what you can. Let me know what comes of it, if anything. I think I may travel with you a bit, I wish to see the Black Tarn again, and it seems a good a time as any."

With that it seems Radagast might be finished with this little meeting as he seems to drift of a bit in thought and silence.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

User avatar
Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Posts: 3712
Location: The Old Forest

Two Days Later: Meeting with Radagast

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:12 pm

"Borir," says Finn, "Why don't you talk to Bofri, let him know our willingness to at least explore along the road. If we can we will go all the way through. If not we shall turn back and at least he will have gained some knowledge. Perhaps he has other Dwarves interested in the project as well." He looks at Radagast. "We will be glad for your company, as long as you are willing to go."

With that Finn talks with his paige Tom, who begins to make preparations for an arduous journey.

User avatar
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Posts: 13164
Title: Warden of the North
User Class: Slicer

Two Days Later: Meeting with Radagast

Post by Shurijo » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:30 pm

Borir nods to Finn and believes he already know Bofri's response. He walks over to Bofri and explains that their group would like to accompany Bofri to explore and inspect the road.

Locked