Book 6: Act 1 - The Folk-Moot at Rhosgobel

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
User avatar
Muskrat
Level 20 Elite
Level 20 Elite
Posts: 9634
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

The Choice: April 15th

Post by Muskrat » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:38 pm

Varuthil says, "As I understand it, our mission is to scout out the road, see how safe it is, and what needs to be done to repair it. It would seem to me than that it would behoove us to walk its entire length if we wish to learn everything we can."

User avatar
Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Posts: 3712
Location: The Old Forest

The Choice: April 15th

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:38 pm

Finn agrees, "Yes, we aren't trying to cross Mirkwood. At least that is secondary to going across the road as far as we can, learning of its condition and whether it can be restored." He looks at Bofri, "Let us start from the Gate . . . so say I at least."

User avatar
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Posts: 13164
Title: Warden of the North
User Class: Slicer

The Choice: April 15th

Post by Shurijo » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:11 am

Borir looks to Pipkin and says, "We'ah thank yee for your company, Master Brandybucks. I wouldn't want to see ye travel alone in these parts."
So our choices are follow river north on the banks or stay close to the edge of the forest and travel north? Borir is also of mind to stay on road, but he's also protective of Pipkin and would want to make sure Pipkin travels safe.

Is Pipkin traveling alone to Easterly Inn? I know it's just a bit of handwaving to get him there, but I doubt the party would want him traveling alone in these parts.

User avatar
shipwreck
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 301
Location: Atlantis
User Class: Wanderer

The Choice: April 15th

Post by shipwreck » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:23 am

Rathar fiddles with his makeshift pipe, mirroring Pipkin as best he can. "I prefer the woods and the river...but if our task is to be done properly, then I agree with the rest. Let us start from the gate."

His pipe goes out.

User avatar
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Posts: 66142
Location: Miskatonic University
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The Choice: April 15th

Post by Vardaen » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:27 pm

Bofri smiles, "Right, then we travel north along the eves of the forest to the road, and start from the beginning."

Pipkin smiles, "Good then I'll go with you to the road then west from there to Gelvria's. Don't worry I can handle myself along the road and once I'm in Beorning lands I'll be as safe as you can be, right Beleran?" Pipken then leans over and helps Rathar, "This way, like this... you have draw in on the smoke, not blow out on it." He spends a bit of time aiding the Woodman on the art, showing off with a few smoke rings.

With that settled you pack up from breakfast and set out.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

User avatar
Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Posts: 3712
Location: The Old Forest

The Choice: April 15th

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:05 pm

"So Bofri, what do you know of the road?" asks Finn as they walk north toward the Forest Gate. "And what suddenly got you so interested personally in seeing this road restored?"

User avatar
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Posts: 13164
Title: Warden of the North
User Class: Slicer

The Choice: April 15th

Post by Shurijo » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:37 pm

Borir is pleased that Pipkin is has confidence in his abilities to survive in these parts. The dwarf pats the hobbit on the back and then proceeds to continue walking along their path.

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 20 Elite
Level 20 Elite
Posts: 9634
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

The Choice: April 15th

Post by Muskrat » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:33 pm

Varuthil falls in beside Pipkin and says, "I will be sorry to see you go, Master Brandybuck. Will you be remaining at the Easterly Inn? If so, I will make a point to try to stop by and visit you, as the situation may occasion."

User avatar
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Posts: 66142
Location: Miskatonic University
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The Choice: April 15th

Post by Vardaen » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:34 pm

Pipkin looks a bit quizzically at Varuthil, "Why yes, I have invested all my money into that place. I'll be there when you come back home."

The Fellowship heads out and Bofri replies to Finn, "Well I know its dwarf made, that means its solid and has stood the test of time no doubt. It used to be a main road from west to east and east to west from Moria to Erebor and the Iron Hills." He produces a small wooden walking stick and puts one foot before the other. "Think of the trade that would flow if it was open once more! Waystations every day along the road, you could avoid that mess of a winding narrow path that is the Elf Path. No offense Varuthil but that is no more than a game trail, not fit for carts or wagons with beasts of burden! Used to have forts every few days along the road, with armed dwarves keeping watch. Oh those days must have be glorious!" He falls to talking of the 'good old days' a bit, days he never saw, but can imaging of dwarven kingdoms and flowing wealth.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

User avatar
Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Posts: 3712
Location: The Old Forest

The Choice: April 15th

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:40 pm

"We look forward to your cooking," says Finn, in goodbye to Pipkin.

He nods at Bofri. While he thinks the vision great, he is not so certain himself. Mirkwood was a large, dangerous place, and making trade across it safe would be a huge undertaking, far more than the company and one optimistic Dwarf could ever do alone.

Locked