Book 6: Act 2 - Men-I-Naurgrim

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Men-I-Naurgrim: First Week

Post by Shurijo » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:24 am

Borir nods and slaps his axe's handle against off hand's palm. The dwarf then straightens his helm and continues onward. For now, the dwarf holds back his temptation to bang on his shield with his axe to draw whatever is out there into the light, but his urge is strong and his will begins to waver.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Men-I-Naurgrim: First Week

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:51 pm

Finn follows the others, sword drawn. Behind him comes Tom, quiet as a mouse, but clearly nervous.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Men-I-Naurgrim: Attercop, Attercop

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:32 pm

You press on, you are "being watched" so says Rathar, and you have little reason to doubt him. Yet whatever is watching you doesn't show itself not for a while. The sun sinks, the day is gone, and evening sets in. Night arrives quickly under the canopy of Mirkwood. The moment the last rays of the sun are gone you find out what's been watching you.

From out of the darkness you spot them, eyes, hundreds of spider eyes. They are black and pitiless, and are all around you. From each side of the road a wave of large spiders charge forward hissing with reckless abandon. There is easily a dozen of them, maybe more, each one the size of a large wolf hound. Some leap from the trees, others scamper along the ground. You are flanked on either side, north and south. Bofri shouts, "To Arms!" and draws his long hafted dwarven axe. Nalir and Brok circle up around him as best they can to form a wall against the ambush of the spiders.
Alright: You aren't ambushed, meaning you'll act first, but you get Open Volley along with the spiders.

Combat Advantage Checks

Varuthil = Gandalf = 1 Die
Rathat 19t = 2 Dice
Finn 20t = 2 Dice
Borir 15 = 1 Die
Belaran 13 = 0 Dice

6 of them to the north of the road
You Guys
6 of them to the south of the road
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:06 pm

Hearing spiders behind them, Finn turns on his heels. He charges the nearest two spiders, attempting to kill them both with a series of swift strokes.
Open. Swift Strokes called shot, pg 111 AC. Use 1 bonus die + 2 Inspiration dice.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:23 pm

Borir raises his shield and follows alongside Finn, hoping to finish any spiders left wounded by the man's quick strikes.
Open stance. Charge (sorry been a while since we've done combat, I remember the stances, but not actions/charge if that exists, otherwise, move/attack). If Finn's attack leaves one wounded, then attack the wounded ones, if he kills both, then move to another spider. Looking to kill\reduce the initial numbers rather than wound fresh target, if possible.

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:56 pm

Varuthil hisses as she sees the spiders approach, then looses several arrows at them in rapid succession.
Opening Volley: Bow vs. giant spider
Woodland Bow: 2nd Opening Volley: Bow vs. giant spider

Round 1
Stance: Rearward
Action: Bow vs. giant spider

I'll attack the same giant spider until it's dead, then move on to the next one.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:17 pm

Opening Volley: Varuthil, Borir, Finn, Rathar, Dwarfs
Round 1 Varuthil, Borir, Finn, Rathar, Beleran, Dwarfs

@shipwreckeck
@silverfoxdmt73

You guys can post BOTH your opening volley and round 1 in one post. If you have no opening volley that's okay too.
Varuthil is ready in a moment, as the spiders present themselves in the trees she opens fire. A volley of arrows whiz into the underbrush. The first arrow pierces a spider's face and slays it instantly, but her other shots vanish into the foliage without finding targets.

Finn charges forward with a great effort and crashes into the swarm of them with swift and brutal strikes. His blade slices one across the belly ending its life just like that, while he backhands a second taking off two of its legs and causing it to curl up into a dead ball of spider.

Borir crashes into the spiders along side Finn with a shout and lodges his axe in the side of one, its live, if barely as it howls from the dwarf's strong blow.

Rathar just before Bofir and his companions...
Open Volley
Varuthil: Woodland Bow: 2 Shots: Rolled: Feat Die: 10* Success Die: 6t,1,4 Totaling: 21 with 1 success = 11 End Piercing Blow [ Protection Test: 12 Fail] = DEAD
Rolled: SAURON Success Die: 2,3,4 Totaling: 9 = Miss, Draw Attention To Self

Round 1
Finn: Open. Swift Strokes Called Shot + 1 Combat Dice +2 Inspiration: Rolled: Feat Die: 10* Success Die: 6t,5,4,4,5 Totaling: 34 with 1 success = Hits BOTH Targets - 10 Endurance Each [Piercing Blow: 15 Fail, 15 Fail] Both Dead
Borir: Open. Rolled: Feat Die: 4* Success Die: 5,3,2,3 Totaling: 17 = Success - 11 Endurance
Varuthil: Rearward: Shoot: Rolled: Feat Die: 1* Success Die: 1,1,3 Totaling: 6 Miss
North of the Road 6
Your Group
South of the Road 3 (1 Wounded)
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

shipwreck
Level 5
Level 5
User Class: Wanderer

Post by shipwreck » Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:51 pm

Opening Volley with Spear, Forward Stance, Attack most vulnerable spider
Rathar cries, "For the forest!" and rushes at the evil beings.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:07 pm

Round 1 Heroes, Spiders

Round 2 Heroes, Spiders
Rathar lets his spear fly into the woods drawing the attention of a spider as he charges forward with his axe in both hands. He leaps shouting and slaughters one of the hairy legged creatures with a single chop.

Brok, Nalir, and Bofri charge into the spiders on the other side of the road with hammer and ax. Only Brok, a veteran of Nanduhirion, lands a blow and wounds one of the arachnids.

The spiders then leap forward. Two of them badly wounded, flee but the other six press in behind you. Finn is struck hard, and only by sheer luck does his armor turn the fangs of the spider at the last possible moment. Varuthil too is pounced on, even in the rear of the group the spider makes a great leap from a branch and lands on her pinning her to the road before stabbing her with a poisoned stinger! The wound is already going numb and the poison is quickly spreading about her body!

Luckily for the others, Rathar, and Borir all dodge and parry strikes, even Brok manages to turn the attack aimed for him with skill.

The company presses the combat...
Rathar: Forward: Rolled: Feat Die: 4* Success Die: 5,6t,3,4 Totaling: 22 with 1 success = Grt Success: 13 = DEAD

Dwarves: Bofri Miss, Nalir Miss, Brok: Grt Success: 10 End
Spiders: 2 Retreat from Wounds, 6 1 Attach Each
vs Finn 19 Hit for 3 End, Piercing Blow: [Pro Test:Rolled: Feat Die: 2* Success Die: 4,4 Totaling: 10 = Fail + Hope 5 = Success]
vs Varuthil Called Shot (Previous Sauron) (Leaping Strike, Poison) 18t HIT for 6 End, Poison Victim
vs Rathar 16 Fail! (Woodcrafty)
vs Borir 13 vs 14 Miss
vs Brok Gandalf - Auto Fail for Them
Everyone is engaged with a spider, Brok also.

Varuthil - Poisoned (Wounded)
After 6 Rounds you will topple over paralyzed.

A Poisoned character is considered to be Wounded. Thus, if an already Poisoned character is Wounded once, he falls unconscious as if Wounded twice (likewise, a Wounded character falls unconscious when Poisoned).

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:29 pm

Finn uses his shield to push the spider back, giving him space for a sweeping strike at its legs. He keeps an eye on Varuthil, and needs space to rush to her aid if needed.
Defensive, attack engaged spider. Defend Varuthil (spend Hope to take any attack that would be a piercing blow or a called shot. Use Battle die for any protection test.
For Poison, it's a Piercing blow that the player gets a Protection Test for. At least... that was my understanding, that you still have to fail the Protection Test, if you do you are Wounded and Poisoned...
Last edited by Blubbo_Baggins on Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.