Book 6: Act 2 - Men-I-Naurgrim

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Men-I-Naurgrim: Attercop, Attercop

Post by Muskrat » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:27 pm

Varuthil grits her teeth as she feels the poison beginning to numb her and a look of cold rage appears on her face. She sheaths her bow, draws her sword and strikes out at the spider that poison her.
I'm assuming that a Rearward stance is no longer an option.

Stance: Defensive. Given that I've just been badly injured, I'll want to avoid another one I suspect.
Action: Attack with sword vs. giant spider that hit me.

shipwreck
Level 5
Level 5
User Class: Wanderer

Post by shipwreck » Tue Jun 13, 2017 7:36 pm

Rathar grits his teeth, as much for indecision as strain. He's not sure if he should disengage to help the elf, or keep fighting. He decides to press the attack.
Move to an Open stance, attack target with ax

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:31 am

Borir shakes his head to straighten his helm, lifts his shield and lunges forward with his axe in hand once more.
Open stance
attack spider

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:49 pm

Round 2 Heroes, Spiders
Round 3 Heroes, Spiders
Borir pushes with his shield and hacks into the body of the spider on him with stoic dwarf resolve. The axe connects and makes it scream. The beast flees back into the woods bleeding as it does so.

Rathar's own axe swoops around and implants itself into the brain of the spider. Its instantly dead, but as Rathar struggles to pull his axe from its skull the thing twitches with each tug and pull.

Varuthil is beset and her bow falls to the side as her blade comes out. She manages to bat the spider with it knocking to back a foot to give her some breathing room as her limbs are starting to go numb.

Finn knocks his with his shield, but all he manages to do is draw more attention to himself. The spider on him and Varuthil now pounce at him, but he parries and blocks just in the knick of time both times to keep the attercops at bay.

Bofri, Nalir and Brok press in on a lone spider and again Brok lands a blow wounding a spider. That same spider turns and slices Bofri with a clawed foot as it escape from being flanked for the moment.

Your company...
Round 2
Varuthil: Defensive - Attack: Rolled: Feat Die: 8* Success Die: 4,4 Totaling: 16 = Success 5 End
Rathar: Open Attack: Rolled: Feat Die: 9* Success Die: 4,6t,3,4 Totaling: 26 with 1 success = Grt Success 13 Dmg
Borir: Open Attack: Rolled: Feat Die: 1* Success Die: 2,3,5,6t Totaling: 17 with 1 success = Grt 11 Endurance
Finn: Defensive Attack Spider - Defend Varuthil: Rolled: SAURON Success Die: 3,3 Totaling: 6 = OOPS!
Dwarves: Bofri Miss, Nalir Miss, Brok: Success 5 End
2 vs Finn Called Shots: 12 Miss, 11 Miss
vs Bofri: 15 Hit for 3 End
2 vs Finn
1 vs Dwarf NPCs

That's 3 Total Left
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:57 pm

Seeing the spiders are now outnumbered, Finn charges forward with a yell, "For the North!"

Meanwhile, Tom approaches Varuthil and carefully keeps an eye on her. He pulls a blanket from his sack, and prepares a place for her to lie down, as it appears to him that she won't be able to stand much longer.
Forward. I'll use my battle die 1 of 2 ways. If I can hand my Battle die to Rathar, for him to use his Virtue "Poison Remedies" on Varuthil, that is what I'll spend it on. If I can't hand the Battle die for that roll, then I'll just use it on Finn's attack.

Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

Post by Shurijo » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:42 pm

As Borir's targeted spider flees, the dwarf turns and heads towards the next nearest foe and continues to hack away using his axe.
stance: open
attack: spider
move: as needed

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:37 pm

Round 3 Borir, Finn, Dwarves Varuthil, Rathar, Spiders
Finn presses, but his swing is clumsy and misses by a good margin, he seems more focused on Varuthil's condition and Tom's actions than his own.

Borir turns and leaps at the spider near Varuthil, and the dwarf's axe hacks into the body crumpling it to the ground in a bloody heap.

With only two foes left now Bofri and company go all out. Bofri connect now with his axe, and Nalir joins him like a pincer and the two finish off a wounded spider. That leaves only one near Finn and Brok Ironfist smashes into it with a powerful chop shouting, "Khazad Khazad!" as he does. The blow nearly ends the attercop's life.

It flees into the woods if not put down, but the battle is at an end.
Finn: Forward: Rolled: Feat Die: 2* Success Die: 1,1 Totaling: 4 = Miss
Tom: Battle Die for Rathar
Borir: Open Rolled: Feat Die: 3* Success Die: 2,5,3,6t Totaling: 19 with 1 success = Grt Suc: 11 End
Dwarves: Open: Bofri: 14 Success, 5 End. Nalir 10 Succes, 5 End, Brok 11t Great Succe 9 End
Last Spider Retreats
There is just 1 wounded spider, Varuthil and Rathar could take a pot shot at it, either way hit or miss the fights over.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:47 pm

Varuthil staggers to the side of the road, looking for a stump or rock to sit down on. "My limbs ... are going numb," she says. "I think the spiders got me with their poison." She pulls out her bag of medical supplies and begins treating herself, while giving instructions to the others on what to do if she should become fully paralyzed before she has time to finish treating herself.
I don't know if I have time to treat myself, but I hope I can at least give instructions to the others. In any case, roll Healing and invoke the Leechcraft Trait. How well are the other characters able to treat me? If no one else is really good at healing, I think it may make sense for me to spend Hope on this, if I can treat myself.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:46 pm

Rathar has the ability "poison remedies" and a 3 in Healing, plus the Bonus die I just passed him. He should be good at helping Varuthil.

shipwreck
Level 5
Level 5
User Class: Wanderer

Post by shipwreck » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:01 pm

Wrenching his ax free with a grunt, Rathar breathes heavily, black blood spattered across his fair face. He sweeps his eyes, wide with battle frenzy, from here to there, then remembers the elf. The Woodman rushes to her, grabbing his pack and sliding on his knees, and looks her over.

"I will treat your wound first," he says gravely and begins to clean and apply bandaging to the bite.

"I should be able to cure this poison," he mutters. Then he manages a weak smile and says to Varuthil, "Just remember to breath."

Rathar rushes into the woods, looking for the right herbs to form a concoction that will counteract the spider's venom.
Roll Healing (assuming she's wounded, right?) then invoke Poison Remedies