Book 6: Act 2 - Men-I-Naurgrim

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Locked
User avatar
Muskrat
Level 20 Elite
Level 20 Elite
Posts: 9634
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

The Roadwarden's Staff

Post by Muskrat » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:16 pm

Varuthil says nothing in response to Finn's question, but goes to check on Rathar.
How is he doing?

User avatar
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Posts: 66142
Location: Miskatonic University
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The Roadwarden's Staff

Post by Vardaen » Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:15 pm

Varuthil checks on Rathar, no change, only time can help him now.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 20 Elite
Level 20 Elite
Posts: 9634
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

The Roadwarden's Staff

Post by Muskrat » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:22 pm

Varuthil looks up and says, "He is on the mend, but he needs to rest more." She rises and says, "That being the case, it will be a while before we can move, whether it is to go back or press on." She studies Rathar, then says slowly, reluctant to admit she was wrong, but also remembering Brok's death, "Perhaps the wisest course would to be go back, if the dwarves are satisfied with what they have found. Rathar, even when he is well enough to travel, will be in no condition to fight more creatures of the Enemy."

User avatar
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Posts: 66142
Location: Miskatonic University
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

A Day of Rest: Rathar Returns to You

Post by Vardaen » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:16 pm

You have few options now, and the debate lasts into the night, but one thing remains, you are going nowhere without Rathar upon his feet. So you spend the night in the tower. There is some worried in the middle of the night, a noise around the forest suggests creatures investigating the are now that Tauler is gone, but you never see them, and have no troubles. Come morning Rathar is doing better, still paralyzed, but better. By late after noon he's moved his eye lids, and has wiggled his fingers and toes. By dinner time you have sat him up, and he's moving his limbs, albeit slowly, as if his arms and legs had fallen asleep and its sort of humorous to watch.

He's speaking once more by dinner, and you are all now preparing for the second night here in the Mill Fort. You have been debating the next course of action, Rathar included.

Bofri, "With the Staff now in hand, I suggest we return to the Woodman villages. From there I must decide my next course of action, but with the staff I can present my authority to the dwarves of Erebor and the Blue Mountains in the west, and call on many more of my kin to aid me in this task. We could press on east along the road, but wit Brok's death, and our numbers reduced I worry about what we might encounter, and I do not wish to put the Roadwarden Staff at risk."

Nalir sneers, "He says nothing about putting us at risk!"

Bofri rolls his eyes.
@shipwreck you back in the game!
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

User avatar
Muskrat
Level 20 Elite
Level 20 Elite
Posts: 9634
Location: The Secret Places Beneath the Earth
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

A Day of Rest: Rathar Returns to You

Post by Muskrat » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:21 pm

Varuthil speaks quietly, looking at the ground, "Earlier I said we should press on and clear this road of the minions of the Shadow. But I have reflected on that and changed my mind." She is apparently somewhat embarrassed to admit she was wrong. "Given that we have lost one of our company to death already and another remains gravely ill, we should do the safer thing and turn back. With the staff, Bofri can rally far greater numbers to exterminate the evil that dwells along this road." She looks up and says gravely, "If you are willing to have an elf among your number as you do so, I will gladly accompany you. I have long studied creatures of the Shadow and know much of them and, while I am no mighty warrior, I do have some skill with bow and sword."

User avatar
Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite
Posts: 3712
Location: The Old Forest

A Day of Rest: Rathar Returns to You

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:44 pm

"Your plan is sound, Bofri. I am interested in seeing this forest turn back to a good place once again, with people and trade flourishing. Though I may not be able to help with clearing up this road, I am glad to know we could help this undertaking begin. With Rathar on the mend, it will be good to have the darkness of this Forest at our back." He finishes his meal and Tom takes his dish, along with any others, offering to clean up. Finn lays back with his hands behind his head, and is soon sleeping by the fire.

User avatar
shipwreck
Level 5
Level 5
Posts: 301
Location: Atlantis
User Class: Wanderer

A Day of Rest: Rathar Returns to You

Post by shipwreck » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:06 am

Rathar blinks his heavy lids. He stares at nothing, looking something like a hobbit after an evening of too much drink and too little sleep.

The evening wanes on in silence, then he finally speaks. 'We return to my people.' With that, he has a sip of water and says no more.

User avatar
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Posts: 13164
Title: Warden of the North
User Class: Slicer

A Day of Rest: Rathar Returns to You

Post by Shurijo » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:39 am

Borir nods in agreement with the others. The dwarf continues to relax and enjoy the evening without fighting. He takes pleasure in knowing that he was the one who found the staff and finding the treasure, to him, is more important then holding it. With a smirk, he smiles at Bofri's statement, but holds his tongue.

User avatar
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Posts: 66142
Location: Miskatonic University
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

The End

Post by Vardaen » Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:59 pm

Alright here we go...
Rathar recovers, enough at least to get moving. You decide starting off this late is a bad idea, and wait out one more night in the Mill Fort. When dawn comes Rathar's in much better shape, his legs work, his arms are good, and his head has cleared. So the company packs up and turns west, back the way you came. You are able to scout the way, mark the road, and it seems like Bofri, staff in hand, has an easy time of it more so than you recall him doing so before. After many days of travel, and only minor issues with a broken boot lace and a bruised knee from Tom slipping and tripping on a root, you exit the Old Dwarf Road back into the Anduin Vale!

The closest place could be west to Gelvira's at the ford or south to Woodland Hall. Woodland Hall seems a better choice, there may be more there for you. So you turn south and travel the next few days in the bright sun, leaving the dark of Mirkwood behind and to your left for now.

Finally, you arrive, and the sound of people and life going on lifts your spirits. You find your way to the taphouse, for food and drink, a warm bath, some news, and a comfortable bed. You part ways with Bofri, for now, but not before he pays you for your service and you make promises to reconnect again once more.

From here its time to put the dangers of the road behind you for a time, there are many things you would like to do, and as Spring turns to Summer you set out for them.

May 21st, 2949, The Third Age, Late Spring
The End. Chapter End. I'll get an OOC Fellowship Phase thread started so we can plan what you want to do. I'll give out XP and AP as well, and we can move along.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Locked