Book 7: Act 1 - A Darkness in the Marshes

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

July 29th - Radagast the Brown

Post by Vardaen » Thu May 30, 2019 2:24 pm

The Brown Wizard listens to the tale, he greets Gerwald and Gilrion warmly, "Friends of my friends are now my friends also." He winks and stands up to put a kettle on the stove, "Tea?" he simply expects you'll all want some so lays out cups for everyone.

"Dire are your tidings. I had feared a new evil in the Gladden, The Lady of the Golden Wood and I have spoken on the matter, but now its clear more must be done on the matter. This talk of a Chain bothers me, and that of restless dead."

He then asks you for more details, and he draws from you all of your tale, of your meeting with the new comers, of the Troll, of Magric's betrayal, of the Gladden, the Dwimmerhorn and the restless spirit." As you are finishing up your tea he stands once more, "You have done well, well indeed and have done all I asked. I must send out more scouts. I will speak to Beorn and Galadriel about this, and see if a guard might be put around the Dwimmerhorn."

He collects the dirty cups, "You are deserving of a rest now, I hear your little Inn up north is doing well, but needs supplies for the kitchen. I will send you news there as I get more. For now, rest enjoy my home."
We are going to wrap up the Adventure Phase soon, I've posted in the OOC for the Fellowship Phase crunch.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:28 pm

"Thank you," says Varuthil. "I think for my part, once I have recovered my stamina, I will return home to Thranduil's court. Not only has it been a while since I have been there, but many of the elders there have lived in the this land since time out of mind--perhaps they know something of this Chain."

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:55 pm

"I may return home as well." Glirion seems deep in thought. "I will consider my choices."

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:23 pm

Finn thanks the wizard for his hospitality and enjoys the rest and even forgetfulness that seems to linger in the strange home.

He shares what he can, especially of well-being of Harfast and the folk of Mountain Hall. "Have they often fought off incursions of goblins, or is this something new?" he asks Radagast.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

August 6th - The Shadow of the Future

Post by Vardaen » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:03 pm

"Yes Finn, without the Golden Wood or Beorn and his...people, the Vale would have long ago fell to Shadow."

He sips his drink, his cup seemingly having just refilled itself without you noticing him pouring any more tea. "Rest, enjoy your time. You have done us a great service and others can take things from here. I would ask that if you are heading home Varuthil and Glirion, that you deliverer some messages for me, I will write a few letters."

You enjoy the rest of the evening, dinner and a place to sleep where you know danger can not touch you is a strong refresher. Eight days pass in Rhosgobel as Radagast prepares missives and sends out his birds and beasts. Time slips away here, and you feel no reason to rush, but summer is getting on. So you make preparations to finally head out to your various places.

Before you do however Radagast calls you for a final meeting on the green center sward where the Folk-moot took place last year. "I am strange news to share with you, and have been busy all night updating my letters. As you know scouts were sent to keep watch on the Dwimmerhorn. I am troubled, for the hilltop fort is reported empty, completely abandoned as if they never existed there. I wonder if the enemy did not expect to be discovered so soon and has retreated to some other place of safety. I fear the enemy is plotting still against all Free Peoples and the stroke will now fall when we least expect it."

He mutters a bit more, then hands out a bunch of rolled letters for you to take and deliver to your various homes.
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:56 pm

Varuthil frowns and says, "Well, let us hope that means we have knocked them off-balance and that we will be able to strike at them before they are ready. But that will be hard if we do not know where they are. But perhaps our research will tell us where else they might be hiding."

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:51 pm

"Either way, we have disrupted the enemy's plans. Let us hope that will be enough for the immediate future."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:37 pm

"It do not know what it portends."

Your time with the Brown Wizard comes to a close. You take your letters and go your separate ways. Most head north first, to the Easterly Inn, for you have business there with the Bandybucks, and work to do. It also proves a good point to jump off into Mirkwood either to visit the Woodland Realm or to make the trip all the way to Lake-town and Erebor and Dale.

You say your good byes to those heading in other directions, and promise to keep in touch, but you wonder if you truly could.

Summer turns to autumn, autumn to winter, and winter into spring....
Good a place as any to stop for the Phase. I'll do a Fellowship Phase thread, but use the OOC Fellowship to post your plans, XP spends, and ventures so we can work out the OOC crunch bits before the RP.

Good times all.