Book 7: Act 1 - A Darkness in the Marshes

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Shurijo
Admin
Admin
Title: Scourge of the Jedi
User Class: Sith Lord

July 28th - Mountain Hall: Waking in the Night

Post by Shurijo » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:27 am

Borir punches in the air with his eyes still closed. As his fists fly to and fro, the dwarf comes to his senses and sees there's no orcs in the room. "What?!?" He says as he rolls out of bed and grabs his axe. Tossing him helmet on and grabbing his shield, he hurries down the hall towards whichever direction the orcs might be coming from.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Assassins: Opening Volley

Post by Vardaen » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:02 pm

One by one the company is roused, none to gently, Varuthil's warning sets men and dwarf to grab for weapons.

Out the door bursts Glirion, shouting, but his shouts are cut short, for he make not but two steps outside before he encounters the bulk of the goblins barring his way. Luckily for him the rest of the fellowship is now armed and moving just behind him.

There are only five foes, two small snuffling snaga. Little things, trackers and scouts, they are closest the door, having just lead the others to the Fellowship's location in the town. Behind them are three more, two large orcs, who look more like assassins than soldiers, and with them is a hulking brute. It is Ghor the Despoiler, the same Orc that was inside the temple of the Dwimmerhorn, the same commander that gave chase to you from the Gladden to here! He bangs his heavy two handed scimitar off the group and smiles seeing Glirion, "One lonely little elf, dies here tonight!"
Monster-Snaga.jpg
Monster-Snaga.jpg (58.16 KiB) Viewed 618 times
Snaga Trackers[/center]
So since you heard them, and you burst out into the outside first, I'm going to give Glirion and Gliron only an opening volley along with the Orcs.

Then you can get a normal round of actions after that, we'll open with Glirion. Everyone is inside, save for Glirion and the Orcs.

Combat Advantage Tests
Borir Rolled:
GANDALF
Success Die: 1,6t,3,5
Totaling: 15 with 1 success
with 1 Auto Success = 2 Bonus Dice

Finn Rolled:
Feat Die: 4*
Success Die: 5,4,5
Totaling: 18 = 1 Bonus Die

Gerwald Rolled:
Feat Die: 7*
Success Die: 1,4
Totaling: 12 = 0 Dice

Glirion Rolled:
Feat Die: 5*
Success Die: 5,6t
Totaling: 16 with 1 success = 2 Bonus Dice (still has his 2 inspired dice too: both must be used together)

Varuthil Rolled:
GANDALF
Success Die: 6t,6t
Totaling: 12 with 2 successes
with 1 Auto Success = 3 Bonus Dice (still has her 2 inspired dice too: both must be used together)
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12
User Class: Wanderer

Post by Othniel » Wed May 01, 2019 4:38 am

Glirion snaps up his bow, a weapon of war but also a thing of beauty - carved by his own hands from the mallorn wood of Lothlorien and strung with golden elf-hair. He takes aim quickly at the leader and snaps off a shot before battle is joined in earnest.
Aiming at the leader. I'll spend both dice on the advantage test. Then he'll take up a defensive stance with his spear.

Been a while since we did combat. I looked through the book, but let me know if I missed anything.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Fri May 03, 2019 4:50 pm

Just to clarify, this is just opening Volley right? I'm not yet supposed to declare an action?

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Assassins: Round One

Post by Vardaen » Thu May 09, 2019 3:44 pm

Right opening volley. Sorry been busy, and combat posts take alot more effort than other types
Glirion snaps up his bow, and fires an opening shot as quick as thinking at the large Ghor the Despoiler. The arrow is coming right for him and it strike him on the shoulder but the large Black Orc snaps it off with a flick of his weapon baring his bloody gums at Glirion, "Kill the Elf!"

The two larger orcs throw their spears at Glirion, but he ducks back into the doorway as they strike the side of the lodge with loud thuds echoing inside. The snaga scouts have bows in hands and hissing fire one by one at the Elf, but the Silvan slips to the side, and then very barely manages to avoid the second shot that pierces through his cloak leaving a wide hole in it: that one was too close for comfort.
Opening Volley
Glirion: vs Ghor: (2 Battle Dice) Rolled: Feat Die: 8* Success Die: 5,2,3,6t,2 Totaling: 26 with 1 success: Great Success 11 Endurance. Ghor spents 1 Hate to reduce damage by 6 down to -5 Endurance
Snaga 1: Bow: 18tt Miss, Snaga 2: Bow: 8 Miss
Orc 1: Spear: 7 Miss, Orc 2: Spear: Gandalf Miss
Glirion slips into a defensive stance as the rest of you pour out of the front door...as his allies come crashing out.
So because of the situation at night, sleeping, etc. No one has their armor on!!!! Be aware.

Round 1 Initiative: Heroes, Orcs
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Thu May 09, 2019 3:48 pm

So no protection tests for piercing blows then?

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Post by Muskrat » Thu May 09, 2019 5:02 pm

Varuthil stays behind the others, loosing an arrow one of the snaga, hoping to take it down quickly.
Stance: Rearward
Action: Attack with bow vs. snaga

Wbweather
Level 13 Elite
Level 13 Elite

Post by Wbweather » Thu May 09, 2019 8:25 pm

Gerwald charges one of the snaga with his great spear.
Open stance - Great Spear 3

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu May 09, 2019 9:17 pm

Sword and shield in hand, Finn charges alongside Gerwald, protecting him and his own flank with his shield. He hopes to reach Glirion as well to watch over both the Elf and Beorning.
Defensive, Sword 3. Defend Glirion this round. Spend Hope if it would result in a Great or higher success.

Othniel
Level 12
Level 12

Post by Othniel » Fri May 10, 2019 3:53 am

Would I be able to spend hope to turn that Great Success into an Extraordinary Success, and then use my Galadrim Bow to score a Piercing Blow? Before I swap over to defensive? Otherwise, I'll just sit their and wait for them to come to me and then thrust with my spear. ^_^

"Bow of the Galadhrim (great bow)
The bows of the Galadhrim are larger than the Woodland bows of Mirkwood, but they are light and easy to wield. They are bent with a single string of elf-hair that will never break and can be left strung at all times without being damaged. The shafts from its quiver aim true and pierce deeply.

A Bow of the Galadhrim has an Encumbrance value of 1, thanks to its ease of use. Additionally, if you roll an extraordinary success on an attack using such a bow you automatically score a Piercing blow."