Book 7: Act 1 - A Darkness in the Marshes

It is the year 2946 of the Third Age, and the lands east of the Misty Mountains are astir. From the cloud-shrouded peaks above the High Pass to the spider-infested gloom of the forest of Mirkwood, paths long-deserted are trodden once again. Busy merchants carry their wares to new markets, messengers bring tidings from foreign realms, and kings send forth armed men to extend their influence and the rule of law. Some say that a new age of freedom has begun, a time for adventure and great deeds to reclaim glories lost in long centuries of oppression and decline.

But adventures are not really things that people go out and look for. They are dangerous and rarely end well. While it is true that a handful of valiant individuals set out to make their mark on the world, for others it seems that adventure chooses them, as though it is the path they are fated to tread. They are restless warriors, curious scholars and wanderers, always eager to seek what was lost or explore what was forgotten. Ordinary people call them adventurers, and when they return successful, they call them heroes. But if they fail, no one will even remember their names...

Run by the Loremaster Vardaen
Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite
Title: Keeper of the Hidden Word
User Class: Scholar

Day 7: Gelvira's Hall of the Crossing

Post by Muskrat » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:24 pm

"Thank you," says Varuthil and follows the others in. As she does so, she scans the room to see if Radagast is there.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin
Title: Great Old One
User Class: Unshackled AI

Post by Vardaen » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:24 pm

Gelvira gives Hild a strong hug, "Welcome back dear, come in, sit." She looks at Hild's company and gives a half smile, "I see your choice of company is improving." She motions Varuthil and Finn and Borir inside. Then stop Rathar and pats him on the shoulder as he starts in, "Oh my boy they stopped calling me that a long time ago. Come in come in." You head inside to the warmth of the hall and the sound of dogs playing. You find a comfortable table near the fire and take some seats. Varuthil is looking for Radagast but the Brown Wizard doesn't appear to be here.

Gelvira is a shrewd woman, and she knows your reputation around these parts now. "He's not here, he was here yesterday, said he was going to have a look around a bit. Sounded like he was expecting you to arrive last night. Best thing you can do now it sit down, have something good to eat, and hope he returns before nightfall."
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf
J.R.R. Tolkien, Council of Elrond, The Fellowship of the Ring

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:26 pm

Hild nods, then follows the others in. Finn decided it wasn't worth pursuing, and instead looked forward to relaxing and a feast. Whatever Radagast wanted of them would wait at least a little longer.

"Did he say anything of his business, or where he was going? Finn asked, "Knowing him he probably seemed unaware of where he was going himself, and barely remembered to grab his hat on the way out the door."

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:32 am

Varuthil looks sharply at Finn. "You underestimate the Brown Wizard. If he appears to not know what he is doing, it's because he's chosen to in order to put people off their guard."

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:38 am

Finn replied with a chuckle. "You are right. And I said seemed unaware. I think he likes to give the appearance of a simple gardener or a forgetful old man, but he is certainly anything but that. I'd hate to cross paths with an angry Wizard."

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Day 7: The Brown Wizard Arrives

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:33 pm

"That is a wise thought Finnulf of Lake-town!"

The voice booms through the chamber, for standing at the door is Radagast the Brown, hat and all. He looks like he just came hustling up the walk at a brisk pace as he catches his breath. "My little birds told me you were on your way, and so here I am, exactly when I mean to be!"

He walks into the room, his staff tapping on the floor, he pats Gelvira on the shoulder as he smiles at her walking by. "You are late however, I expected you yesterday. Now, sit, Gelvira perhaps something to eat and drink, and a bit of privacy if you don't mind."

The woman gives Radagast great respect and nods, "Of course." After a short while she arrives with bowls of the heavy stew, mugs of Beorning Honey Mead, and a few loafs of hard rye bread. You are seated around the long table and find that once the table is set you are left alone. Radagast is busy drinking his mead and eating, renewing himself after his long trip, and seems to have forgotten you for the the moment. Then, wiping his mouth he looks up, "Now then, its time to talk." His eyes land on Hild, "First off, who is this lass?"
"He that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Muskrat
Level 21 Elite
Level 21 Elite

Post by Muskrat » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:02 pm

Varuthil gives Finn an "I told you so" look as Radagast appears seemingly on cue.

As the Brown Wizard eats, she waits anxiously, sitting on the edge of the seat, wondering why Radagast has summoned them. When he poses his question about Hild, her eyes move to Finn.

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:22 pm

Finn begins to speak when Hild interrupts, standing, bowing slightly to the wizard.
"I am Hild, oathsworn to Finn here. I have heard your name many times, but never knew if you were real or just a rumor told to keep certain folk from harassing the Woodmen."

Finn saw that Hild almost started sharing more, that she was restrained as usual, she almost wanted to say more. The fact that she actually referred to the oath and didn't merely say "employed by" was telling.

He saw that Radagast smiled at Hild in a grandfatherly way. Perhaps it was some compassion that had caused her tough exterior to slip for just a moment.

Vardaen
Admin
Admin

Post by Vardaen » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:55 pm

"Well Hild, friend of Finnulf is good enough credentials for me." He purposefully doesn't use the word Oathsworn. "The last one Finnulf brought around was a fresh faced young man from Bree, it is a pleasure to see him branching out a bit." He glances at Finn but then back at Varuthil reading the elf's anxious face.

"Well, lets get to it shall we or else Varuthil here will have a stroke, honestly though we should delay no longer." He leans back in his chair and the fire in the lodge seems to at that point die down to soft red embers casting shadows deep about the hall. "News – well, rumour and wild stories - has reached me of late. There is talk of Orcs moving across Wilderland, of spiders gathering, of evil things stirring up, of disquiet and sorrow and all manner of unpleasant things. This news comes from all quarters, but mostly from the west. Your reports about the evil spirits at Haycombe greatly bothered me, and while I had other matters to deal with following your reports I have not ignored those tales you brought me about the thing that troubled you and Irimë.”

“I was so concerned that I sent word south to the head of my order, Saruman the White, who is wise beyond all others. He said that the best thing to do would be to act quickly and quietly, and with caution. My intent is to send you in search of the root of these stories. Your mission is to gather information and report back – learn all you can, but do not reveal your presence to the enemy!”

“I think the best place to start is Mountain Hall, the main settlement of the Woodsfolk west of the Great River. Hartfast is head of the council of Elders there, you met him at the Folk-moot – he is a good man, very sensible, and little happens in the vale of Anduin that does not escape his notice. Ask him for news.”

“As you may know, some years ago, the Necromancer was driven from Dol Guldur. He could be back – and if it is him, then you must be very careful indeed. He is a foe beyond any of you, and beyond me too for that matter.”

“More likely, though, the withdrawal of the Necromancer means that some evil thing, perhaps one of his servants, is trying to fill the void he left. We forced the Necromancer to leave, but there are any number of Orcs, spirits and mean-spirited men in the lands around Dol Guldur who would obey a new overlord.”

Blubbo_Baggins
Level 14 Elite
Level 14 Elite

Post by Blubbo_Baggins » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:59 am

Finn remembers the evil spirit that fought with Irimë, and how it had brought all of them into a terrible dream from which he thought they would never wake.

"But did we not defeat that spirit?" replies Finn.

"I will say though, will you not come with us? We are glad to search this out ourselves, but why us? Or will you be searching elsewhere in Anduin?"

It's clear from Finn's tone he is glad to help Radagast, but is curious why the wizard would need the company to go to Mountain Hall when he could have done the same himself, saving the time traveling north to meet the company only to send them south again.